GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Sloppy transmission noise in 06GT 5 speed

Search this Thread

Old 10/29/16, 04:01 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Sloppy transmission noise in 06GT 5 speed

Trans has been making more noise lately. And at random times hard to get in the gate. Also makes a weird humm/vibration noise, that goes away when the clutch is in. Also the trans feels like it "bounces" like a lose or worn trans mount. I can feel it when hand on the shifter when going over certain bumps. All sorts of things going on here, lol.

The noise in the video seem normal???? Seems like a lot of play inside the trans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jK1_...ature=youtu.be
Old 10/29/16, 06:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
How many miles. maybe it's just time for it to get rebuilt.

And quit resting your hand on the shifter. That is one of the worst things you can do when driving a manual. Probably one of the reasons why you are having issues.

When was the clutch changes? The humming vibration sounds like it would be pressure plate or throw out bearing issue.
Old 10/29/16, 08:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

72k hard miles. Drag strip and road course. I don't rest my hand on it I know that's not good. Maybe just wait until it's time to pull for a clutch.
if the clutch is in. The humm type noise goes away

Last edited by Stoenr; 10/29/16 at 08:16 PM.
Old 10/30/16, 08:26 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 88 Posts
double post

Last edited by Cavero; 10/30/16 at 09:05 AM. Reason: mobile app weirdness
Old 10/30/16, 09:04 AM
Legacy TMS Member

This is weird. I replied through the app, but its not showing in my browser. Anyway, this is what it said:

The bouncing definitely sounds like the transmission mount. Mine started doing the same thing around the same mileage.
New mounts are expensive (unless there are new alternatives out there) so one thing you might want to try is filling the open space in the middle of the mount with some kind of silicone. I used Sikaflex on mine, but the guy i heard about this from used liquid nails.

You might want to take a look at your engine mounts too, i've heard that the hydraulic mounts they put on these cars have a tendency to leak.
The following users liked this post:
Stoenr (12/4/16)
Old 10/30/16, 10:11 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Lol Yeah I got the email about the reply, but was not here in the thread. TMS has some issues. I often do not get email notification to subscribed threads.

Interesting, I will look into that.
Old 12/3/16, 09:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 101 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by 07 Boss
And quit resting your hand on the shifter. That is one of the worst things you can do when driving a manual.
I agree, not a good habit to have ..... but I believe the TR3650 in these cars has internal stops so that even with hand on shifter, there is no "riding" the shift forks like with many transmissions.
Old 12/4/16, 06:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Cavero
This is weird. I replied through the app, but its not showing in my browser. Anyway, this is what it said:

The bouncing definitely sounds like the transmission mount. Mine started doing the same thing around the same mileage.
New mounts are expensive (unless there are new alternatives out there) so one thing you might want to try is filling the open space in the middle of the mount with some kind of silicone. I used Sikaflex on mine, but the guy i heard about this from used liquid nails.

You might want to take a look at your engine mounts too, i've heard that the hydraulic mounts they put on these cars have a tendency to leak.
Was that a pain to get off and back on again, assuming you left the exhaust on there?
Old 12/5/16, 07:19 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Stoenr
Was that a pain to get off and back on again, assuming you left the exhaust on there?
no, it wasn't bad even leaving the exhaust there. The only thing that got in the way were some exhaust hangers iirc (only there on 05 thru some 08s) , which you just slide the crossmember off of, or just cut the grommets off. Ford put a TSB for the hangars rattling and turns out they were just there for assembly at the factory and you just bend them back.

http://ford.oemdtc.com/181/rattlebuzzvibration-from-center-stack-radioheater-steering-wheel-seat-floorpan-gearshift-area-2005-2008-ford-mustang
Old 12/5/16, 07:27 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Thanks. I had that TSB done back in the day, but I dont think they actually did that, interesting. Its put away for the winter now. Spring things!
Old 12/5/16, 07:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Stoenr
Thanks. I had that TSB done back in the day, but I dont think they actually did that, interesting. Its put away for the winter now. Spring things!
Cool, good luck