GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Stock struts = Unhappy AZOUFan

Search this Thread

Old 12/18/06, 07:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stock struts = Unhappy AZOUFan

So I installed some Tien (or Tein, or whatever) lowering springs about 6 or 8 months ago, and started to get the strut popping noise. My local Ford dealer, or more specifically the people who work there are the absolute bomb, so they replaced my struts under warranty, even removing and re-installing my lowering springs during the warranty replacement.

Fast forward to now, and my right front strut is popping REALLY bad now. Slow turns are actually embarrassing as it sounds like I'm driving a 14 year old Neon (clunk, chunk, pop, rattle) .

So do I dare try to get the struts replaced again, or is this something I'm going to be fighting forever? I don't have an issue buying replacement struts, I just want to be sure that this issue will go away once and for all if I buy replacements. I have the S type springs, which are the aggressively lowered ones. Is that part of my problem? I've thought about going to the Eibach pro kit as they aren't quite as low as what I've got now.

Who's done a strut replacement with aftermarket gear? Can you give me any recommendations and your impressions of the replacement struts vs. stock? I have been amazed at the driving difference (for the better) after just replacing the springs, but I'm not sure I'll get that much more benefit from replacement struts?
Old 12/18/06, 07:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have the FRPP shocks/struts. no issue at all
Old 12/18/06, 07:56 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe you just have the nose slammed to much. try adding donuts to the springs. Also you could be getting bumpsteer on those turns with that slammed look combination with the deepdish wheels you're running. check those 2 thing's first. Does she sit level?
Old 12/18/06, 10:12 PM
Meet Krissy, Our Star Racer

just get proper aftermarket shocks/struts. you'll be glad you did...i was starting to get really irritated with the ride of stock shocks and aftermarket springs...it was horrible in retrospect. i'll never do that again.
Old 12/18/06, 10:14 PM
FR500 Member

It's not the actual struts Sean, it's the strut caps and I've been fighting the same battle and losing.

I just recently changed the struts out to the Ford Racing ones becasue the rebound of the stock struts on my Eibachs was starting to wear thin on my nerves. And my "strut groan" came back as well.

So the ride got better.... but even replacing the upper strut caps didn't cure my upper strut groan. I'm about to give up myself.
Old 12/19/06, 06:00 AM
Cobra Member

Didn't I read the caps are plastic? Are they failing?
Old 12/19/06, 07:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

steeda makes some nice strut caps that you can replace the stock ones with... if the strut cap noise comes back on mine.. i'm getting them even if they make a little more road noise.
Old 12/19/06, 09:45 AM
FR500 Member

Really? hrmmm may have to go that route. And by caps you're talking about the assembly that holds the bearings in place correct?

Wow!!! Just saw them.... $300!! Cripes! I'll stick with the groan for now.
Old 12/19/06, 10:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by SixtySix
Really? hrmmm may have to go that route. And by caps you're talking about the assembly that holds the bearings in place correct?

Wow!!! Just saw them.... $300!! Cripes! I'll stick with the groan for now.

yes kinda pricey...

strut caps are 14-18$ roughly... and since i'm lowered and suspension is modified i bought them at a dealer and did the one that was clunking... i also bought a spare one just in case.. hahahah
Old 12/19/06, 11:04 AM
FR500 Member

Yeah, I got my pair for 12 bucks a piece, but it did nothing for me, the groan was still there.
Old 12/19/06, 02:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Wasn't there a TSB for early 2005 models about a strup popping noise?

I remember having a similar noise, took it in to the dealership and there was some replacement part they ordered and installed. Haven't heard a noise since. But it wasn't the strut itself, something else.
Old 12/19/06, 07:30 PM
FR500 Member

Yup that's the one. It seems on lowered cars some are starting to fail again like mine. They were fine for awhile, but they're just not up to the task.

And it's the upper strut mount that we're all talking about here, which was the part replaced by the TSB along with new rubber sleeves around the bottom of the springs.
Old 12/20/06, 02:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well crapola, you guys didn't give me the answer I wanted, which means you guys stink!

Well Tony, if you think of anything that may fix this, let's do some experimentation. Sounds like the caps are at best a short term fix. I really hoped that new struts and everything would fix it, but it sounds like that's not going to do it either. I'll turn my stereo up for now.
Old 12/20/06, 02:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Tokico D-Specs = Problem solved!!
Old 12/20/06, 02:29 PM
Meet Krissy, Our Star Racer

Originally Posted by scramblr
Tokico D-Specs = Problem solved!!

ya ok dude, just wait. it comes back.
Old 12/20/06, 03:54 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 06GTwJUICE
yes kinda pricey...

strut caps are 14-18$ roughly... and since i'm lowered and suspension is modified i bought them at a dealer and did the one that was clunking... i also bought a spare one just in case.. hahahah
There is a reason they are that cheap per side, and that same reason is why they are prone to premature failure, particularly on lowered cars. Cheap parts = low durability

Our part not only resolves that issue, it gives you camber adjustment from the top of the strut. Something customers have been asking about for years and is not available with the factory piece. Most importantly, our parts transmit no vibration and will stop your car from sounding like a 14 year old Neon.

Gus
Old 12/20/06, 09:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Rondosa
just get proper aftermarket shocks/struts. you'll be glad you did...i was starting to get really irritated with the ride of stock shocks and aftermarket springs...it was horrible in retrospect. i'll never do that again.
Originally Posted by Rondosa
ya ok dude, just wait. it comes back.
What comes back? The noises, the bad ride quality you had?
Old 12/20/06, 10:17 PM
FR500 Member

I'll answer for him, the noise comes back.
Old 12/20/06, 10:18 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Can somone post a link to the Steeda plates that you are talking about?
Old 12/20/06, 10:19 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by SteedaGus
There is a reason they are that cheap per side, and that same reason is why they are prone to premature failure, particularly on lowered cars. Cheap parts = low durability

Our part not only resolves that issue, it gives you camber adjustment from the top of the strut. Something customers have been asking about for years and is not available with the factory piece. Most importantly, our parts transmit no vibration and will stop your car from sounding like a 14 year old Neon.

Gus
Not baggin on you Gus, but at $300 bucks a pop, I'll pass for awhile. If they were $150.00 - I'd jump on them.

Quick Reply: Stock struts = Unhappy AZOUFan