GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Stock Exhaust Getting Quieter with Time??

Search this Thread

Old 7/6/06, 09:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock Exhaust Getting Quieter with Time??

I've had my '07 vert for about 3 weeks now and have 400 miles on it. The first two weeks I had the car, the stock exhaust seemed nice and throaty. I spent much of my driving with the radio off, just so I could hear the sweet sound of the exhaust as I was going through the gears. Then around the 300 mile mark, the exhaust seemed to get quieter. Is it just my imagination and the fact that I am now used to the sound, or do the factory mufflers get quieter with time? If it's the latter of the two, what causes that to happen? Thanks.
Old 7/6/06, 10:01 PM
Cobra Member

I have GT mufflers on my V6 and they got louder over time. I didn't notice it was getting louder and throatier until about 1000 miles after I installed them. You're probably just getting used to them. It may be time to upgrade to Borlas or Corsas
Old 7/6/06, 10:07 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You're getting used to them.Time for some FRPP's!!
Old 7/6/06, 10:38 PM
Bullitt Member

It will get louder
Old 7/6/06, 11:27 PM
GT Member

Or you've been cranking that Shaker 1000 a little too much and you've going deaf!
Old 7/7/06, 06:14 AM
GT Member

Only 400 miles in 3 weeks?

Congrats on the vehicle; it's great. Have you seen the photo display / presentation of your car that is on the home page of this site?
Old 7/7/06, 10:12 AM
V6 Member

Mufflers, any mufflers stock or not will get louder over time so it must be your getting use to the sound…
Old 7/7/06, 10:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

Mufflers, any mufflers stock or not will get louder over time...
They will when they start to get rust holes in them!
Old 7/7/06, 05:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
They are tooooo quiet..... get Flowmaster American Thunders... get Flowmaster American Thunders... get Flowmaster American Thunders... get Flowmaster American Thunders... get Flowmaster American Thunders...
Old 7/7/06, 08:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Boltzman
You're getting used to them.Time for some FRPP's!!
I agree.......on both parts!
Old 7/7/06, 10:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Borla's

i have a guy occassionally that i drive home with around 4 PM every day--he told me the other day, man, that is the BEST exhaust i have ever heard on a mustang, even better then my buddy's stage 3 rousch.... ..that is what i am talking about baby!
Old 7/8/06, 05:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by steevr
I've had my '07 vert for about 3 weeks now and have 400 miles on it. The first two weeks I had the car, the stock exhaust seemed nice and throaty. I spent much of my driving with the radio off, just so I could hear the sweet sound of the exhaust as I was going through the gears. Then around the 300 mile mark, the exhaust seemed to get quieter. Is it just my imagination and the fact that I am now used to the sound, or do the factory mufflers get quieter with time? If it's the latter of the two, what causes that to happen? Thanks.
Mine sounds great, especially when coasting down from speed in the lower gears - it gives a nice little "pop" towards the end, and I LOVE the initial growl on start up. This one's definitely louder and better sounding than my '02 GT.

Oh, and Steve, you've got to get out and DRIVE ; I've got nearly 500 miles after my first WEEK with the car. I guess it doesn't help that my wife jumps in it for errards every time the sun's shining!
Old 7/8/06, 09:01 AM
Bullitt Member

I will, I promise. I just put on the soft boot for a whole weekend of driving. I put almost a 100 on the first day. Then it sat in the garage for the week of rain we had. Now I've been taking it to work every nice day, but I work 2 miles from my house. Guess that's good and bad.

Have a great weekend.

P.S. Love the burbling sound too.
Old 7/8/06, 09:07 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Bob99b5
Mine sounds great, especially when coasting down from speed in the lower gears - it gives a nice little "pop" towards the end, and I LOVE the initial growl on start up. This one's definitely louder and better sounding than my '02 GT.

Oh, and Steve, you've got to get out and DRIVE ; I've got nearly 500 miles after my first WEEK with the car. I guess it doesn't help that my wife jumps in it for errards every time the sun's shining!
You let your wife drive yur car jk
Old 7/8/06, 01:11 PM
V6 Member

The stock ones were always too quiet, might I suggest the Borla agressive axle backs. These are the same as the FRPP ones, loud mean and clean looking no more oval can to be seen.
Old 7/8/06, 02:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Boltzman
You let your wife drive yur car jk
Yeah, I'm a real gambler! I just put four new tires on her SUV because she took a chunk out of one of them on a curb! She knows there'll be hell to pay if she marks this car! But, hey, she deserves to have fun as much as the rest of us. The funny thing about it is that although she's had sports cars her whole life, she wasn't at all excited about this one coming in, but now that it's here she told me that she wants to trade cars! Her last car was a 5-speed Passat turbo - that car was at least entertaining - but I have a 60 mile daily commute and I just couldn't do it in her blands-ville to the max SUV!
Old 7/8/06, 05:59 PM
Cobra R Member

You're getting used to them... I'm gettin' used to my Borlas' Thay sound so much louder when I take it to the dealer and let them drive it in the bay...
Old 7/14/06, 01:32 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Xanadu
The stock ones were always too quiet, might I suggest the Borla agressive axle backs. These are the same as the FRPP ones, loud mean and clean looking no more oval can to be seen.
Old 7/18/06, 12:06 PM
Cobra Member

Even stock, I can hear my car in the shop when getting an oil change. The last time I was in, I heard my car start up and thought "was that mine?" It sure was. I'm leaving the mufflers alone, I like the way the car sounds. I might put an x-pipe on to deepen the tone a little though.
Old 7/22/06, 11:32 PM
Bullitt Member

An X-Pipe won't deepen the tone, if you want deeper change the exhaust to Borla, Magnapack, or Bassani.

Quick Reply: Stock Exhaust Getting Quieter with Time??