GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Stock '07 w/twin turbo system runs 11.75 at 123 mph!

Search this Thread

Old 3/5/08, 03:49 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock '07 w/twin turbo system runs 11.75 at 123 mph!

I have recently had the new Team Performance Products "Heritage Twin Turbo System" installed on my stock '07 GT. This kit comes with two Garrett dual ball bearing 54 mm turbos which are mounted down around the transmission. A carbon fiber belly pan comes with the kit to keep water and road debris out of the air cleaners. The only thing we added to the car was a single GT supercar fuel pump. We only had time for two dyno pulls so the shop made sure it was nice and safe for the initial outing at FFW Orlando. When I say my car is stock.....I mean 100% dead bone friggin' stock as delivered from Ford. Richard Lelsz of Strictly Performance did the initial tune. We are at 11.5 A/F ratio, 10 degrees timing, and 8 pounds of boost. At Orlando the car ran a best of 11.75 @ 123.58 mph in a 3865 pound Mustang GT. We need to work on the tune a little to get more low speed power but a converter is essential for drag racing. For street driving.....not needed. Turbos come up on boost around 2500 rpm and pull all the way through the traps. I also drove the car home from Strictly and in Orlando to get the D/R's mounted. Unless you put your foot down you don't even know the turbos are there. Smooth as a stocker. Lots of fun when you find a freeway onramp though.

I feel that with a converter and some additional tuning we should be able to lay down a solid 11-teen or 11-twenty pass at close to 125 mph. Maybe even a "10"! Then drive it out the gates with the A/C and stereo going while getting 24 mpg on the way home.
Old 3/5/08, 04:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
WOW....That is an awesome time and speed from what I take is an auto trans car from your post!!! I have always thought that these auto trans cars with the same power would be faster than the manuals because of the drivability issues hooking up the manuals. I think you have proved my point!! Great times and MPH!! I know I am going to get flamed by the manual guys about this but OHhh well...I have broad shoulders!!
Scott
Old 3/5/08, 04:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Pretty impressive.What tires were you using and did you have any suspension mods?
Old 3/5/08, 04:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Congrats!

Last edited by tom281; 3/12/08 at 07:17 PM.
Old 3/5/08, 06:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Cdvision
Pretty impressive.What tires were you using and did you have any suspension mods?
M/T 275/45-17 drag radials. No suspensions mods yet. They weren't really needed though. The turbos would not spool until around 2500 rpm which was around 80 feet out. Then.....it was ON!!!

We are going to install a PI multi-disc lockup converter with a 3000 stall speed along with a roll bar in the next few weeks. Along with those goodies we are installing a complete Metco rear suspension system. With these goodies and bit more work on the tune we feel that the car should run **** close to the ten second zone.
Old 3/5/08, 06:41 PM

Congrats..What are you pushing for HP.
Old 3/5/08, 06:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by US 1
M/T 275/45-17 drag radials. No suspensions mods yet. They weren't really needed though. The turbos would not spool until around 2500 rpm which was around 80 feet out. Then.....it was ON!!!

We are going to install a PI multi-disc lockup converter with a 3000 stall speed along with a roll bar in the next few weeks. Along with those goodies we are installing a complete Metco rear suspension system. With these goodies and bit more work on the tune we feel that the car should run **** close to the ten second zone.
Got any pictures of your setup you can share with us???
Scott
Old 3/5/08, 06:57 PM
Banned

Richard Lelsz only had time for two pulls on the car before we had to load up for Orlando. The car made 460 hp and 489 tq. After the mph runs it posted at that weight......I'm thinking it is making a bit more.

I'll get some pics of the setup once I get the car back from California. If you want to see the components go to www.team-ppi.com. The neatest thing is the way the turbos are tucked under the engine. I had one Ultra Stang competitor come by and ask me where I "got the cold air kit that tucks the filter in the fender." Told him we made it. He believed me until the second qualifier when I went whooshing by him. His Roushcharger was no match for those hairdryers.
Old 3/5/08, 11:29 PM
Cobra Member

Oh my Lantis....11sec. 1/4 on only 8# boost!!!!!!
Old 3/6/08, 05:09 AM

US1: I want this. How much?

Do you have any pics? Does it affect ground clearance with tubes or turbos hanging lower than stock engine parts? Where does the intake suck from? Is it really close to the ground - do I have to worry about hydrolock in standing water? (This is my only car)

Thanks in advance. To reiterate... I want this.
Old 3/6/08, 08:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by krnpimpsta
US1: I want this. How much?

Do you have any pics? Does it affect ground clearance with tubes or turbos hanging lower than stock engine parts? Where does the intake suck from? Is it really close to the ground - do I have to worry about hydrolock in standing water? (This is my only car)

Thanks in advance. To reiterate... I want this.
The only pics right now are of the kit on their website. I will be getting pics in the next week or so since the car is almost back to their shop in California right now. There are zero problems with ground clearance. The turbo oil drain fittings are tucked up higher than the subframe rails. Nothing hangs below the frame rails. The turbos have K&N air filters mounted directly over the inlets. There is also a one-piece carbon fiber belly pan that keeps water and road debris away from the air cleaners. The man who designed the system, Rick Head of Exile Turbo Systems, has driven his Shelby GT in Southern California rain with no problems for almost six months. As far as standing water goes......be careful. If the water is over the rocker panels I would detour around. The belly pan is a good deterent and keeps a lot of water out but you should be careful about deep water. Do you really drive into standing water not knowing how deep it is anyway?

Pricing has yet to be set but after talking with the lead salesman this weekend I would say around $7000 complete with fuel system upgrade, 39# injectors, and SCT tuner. The best part about this kit is that there is no cutting or hacking of any pipes or sheetmetal. Everything bolts into place easily. Click on the link in my signature for more information. When you call ask for Eric and tell him I sent you.
Old 3/6/08, 08:01 AM

I emailed Team-PPI to get a price on this kit and I have not heard back yet.
Old 3/6/08, 08:01 AM

Old 3/6/08, 08:02 AM
Banned

****....double post. Sorry.

Last edited by US 1; 3/6/08 at 08:38 AM.
Old 3/6/08, 08:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jared188
I'll get Eric on the phone and see if they have the pricing structure finalized. Will let you know as soon as I know. Eric kept saying, "$7000" all weekend in Florida so I know that is where his mind is at currently.
Old 3/6/08, 12:07 PM
Cobra Member

Yeah I expect it to cost a pretty penny...but for a relatively safe performance mod tuned at 8psi (Given a good tune) and a substantial increase in power it could definitely be worth it
Old 3/6/08, 01:06 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Richard Lelsz only had time for two pulls on the car before we had to load up for Orlando. The car made 460 hp and 489 tq. After the mph runs it posted at that weight......I'm thinking it is making a bit more.
I wouldn't be surprised with a turbo car. Dynos just can't load the car the same way real life does, so the engine doesn't have as much load and the boost doesn't build quite as much.

The local WRXs have this problem all the time. Even with four wheel dynos with load brakes, they STILL get higher boost on the road.

Oh well... Always nice to know you got a bit more than the paper says...
Old 3/6/08, 02:19 PM
Banned

I figured it had more in it when I pulled that Saleen twin screw car on the top end in the first round on Sunday.
Old 3/6/08, 04:46 PM

I'll get Eric on the phone and see if they have the pricing structure finalized. Will let you know as soon as I know. Eric kept saying, "$7000" all weekend in Florida so I know that is where his mind is at currently.
Tell them to get that website running and some pics displaying!!!! We got some serious customers here!!!!!!
Old 3/6/08, 06:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have 7K laying around What is the install price?

Quick Reply: Stock '07 w/twin turbo system runs 11.75 at 123 mph!