GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Which "stinger" type muffler is quietest?

Search this Thread

Old 10/17/07, 04:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which "stinger" type muffler is quietest?

I have heard the sound clips but it is impossible to tell. For those of you who have heard these systems in person I am asking:
Which of the "stinger" type mufflers keeps the sound most under control? Lowest overall volume, least trumpeting and least droan.

-Borla/FRPP stingers
-Bassani Race
-Magnapack 2 1/2"
-Magnapack 3"

I am currently running LT headers and a catted X-pipe.
Old 10/17/07, 04:18 PM
3rd Times A Charm

What's up bro!

The FRPP Stingers have no trumpetting with cats, but they have a lot of drone.

They're not too loud for my tastes while with cats, but you know I like my exhaust to be loud!!
Old 10/17/07, 04:40 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Cali HP addict
I have heard the sound clips but it is impossible to tell. For those of you who have heard these systems in person I am asking:
Which of the "stinger" type mufflers keeps the sound most under control? Lowest overall volume, least trumpeting and least droan.

-Borla/FRPP stingers
-Bassani Race
-Magnapack 2 1/2"
-Magnapack 3"

I am currently running LT headers and a catted X-pipe.
I now have cats on my prochamber with the stingers and it's not too loud for me. I had the cats off and got over the "loudness" and had to put the cats back on. It's actually not loud enough for me sometimes now but they have a great tone with some drone. No trumpets..... even when I had the cats off.
Old 10/17/07, 05:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Ryan,
I have personally experienced 3 of your 4 choices. Never heard the 3" Magnapaks. I think they all have an awesome sound but unfortunately they will all have the trumpets without cats and they are will drone like a bit@h. Just my experience. That is why I am running the offroad Mac Prochamber with the GTA's. Plenty loud, no drone issues but I still have the trumpets I'm sorry to say.
Scott
Old 10/17/07, 05:37 PM
Bullitt Member

I put my catted X back on which will help minimize the droning and trumpeting. I think I can tolerate a bit of drone and trumpet to get a bit more aggressive sound than my magnaflows offer. Which of the 3 you tried kept the sound most under control? Or were they pretty much the same? If they were the same, which one did you think fit better and was higher quality?
Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
Ryan,
I have personally experienced 3 of your 4 choices. Never heard the 3" Magnapaks. I think they all have an awesome sound but unfortunately they will all have the trumpets without cats and they are will drone like a bit@h. Just my experience. That is why I am running the offroad Mac Prochamber with the GTA's. Plenty loud, no drone issues but I still have the trumpets I'm sorry to say.
Scott
Old 10/17/07, 05:53 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have owned the Borla's. Best fit and finish IMO. Also the best overall sound but also had the worst drone issues. A friend has the Bassani's and again..very good fit and finish. Sounds great..but drone like a he!!. Last is the 2 1/2 Magnapaks. A guy in the mustang club has them. Same thing. They sound good by drone horribly at 2K. I don't think they look real nice but... Just a thought. Tom281 is running a offroad H-pipe, Borla Stingers but he added reasonators behind the H-pipe. He swears it cut the drone down a bunch. I am going to see him on Saturday and I will get a ride with him and give you a report on how well the resonators helped with the issue of drone. I remember all to well what the Borla's with an offroad pipe sound like. It been over a year but my ears are still ringing. This is why I sold my Borla and went with the GTA's
Scott