GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Steering wheel shimmy

Search this Thread

Old 4/8/07, 07:02 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Steering wheel shimmy

Hi Guys,
About a year ago I started a thread about a slight steering wheel shimmy I had. It would usually only occured after the car sat for several hours in cooler or cold conditions. It seemed once the stock tires warmed up and got round again that it went away for the most part. Someone back than told me that the stock Pirelli's have some nylon in them and would flat spot after sitting. Well, since I have been running my new Steeda Pentars and Nitto 555's for about a month now I still have the same issue. Only this time it doesn't seem to go away. It only happens when cruising around 60-65 mph. I purchased these tires and wheels direct from Steeda mounted and balanced so it seems if 2 sets of tires and wheels have the same issue I must have another problem. I know it would seem that it is a balance issue to most and I would agree. I think I may just put the stockers back on today and take it for a good front end alignment to see if that helps. Any body else having this type of problem and did you get it fixed?
Thanks for the help.
Scott
Old 4/8/07, 07:09 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
Hi Guys,
About a year ago I started a thread about a slight steering wheel shimmy I had. It would usually only occured after the car sat for several hours in cooler or cold conditions. It seemed once the stock tires warmed up and got round again that it went away for the most part. Someone back than told me that the stock Pirelli's have some nylon in them and would flat spot after sitting. Well, since I have been running my new Steeda Pentars and Nitto 555's for about a month now I still have the same issue. Only this time it doesn't seem to go away. It only happens when cruising around 60-65 mph. I purchased these tires and wheels direct from Steeda mounted and balanced so it seems if 2 sets of tires and wheels have the same issue I must have another problem. I know it would seem that it is a balance issue to most and I would agree. I think I may just put the stockers back on today and take it for a good front end alignment to see if that helps. Any body else having this type of problem and did you get it fixed?
Thanks for the help.
Scott
Scott I got the same issue with the FR500's I put on at about the same speed!.... But next week I'm putting knew springs and dampers on after I get the front end aligned I hoping it will be gone..
Old 4/8/07, 07:20 AM
Team Mustang Source

I had the exact same issue when I got my Foose wheels. Take your wheels off and check your wheel studs. If there are little washer looking things with small tabs on them take them off. These are ised by the factory to keep the rotor on the car during assembly.

What this does for your aftermarket wheels is it keeps them from 100% mate up with your brake assembly.

Check it out and if you have them I gurantee that this will fix your issue.

- Jess
Old 4/8/07, 07:22 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by blkstang06
Scott I got the same issue with the FR500's I put on at about the same speed!.... But next week I'm putting knew springs and dampers on after I get the front end aligned I hoping it will be gone..

Did you have the problem with the stockers?
Old 4/8/07, 07:30 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Did you have the problem with the stockers?
Not as noticeable! It is worse with the FR500's + 255 45 18's on
Old 4/8/07, 07:34 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Not as noticeable! It is worse with the FR500's + 255 45 18's on
I agree. Mine is worse now with the Steeda Pentars and Nitto's. I expected it to go away with the new wheels and tires but it seems it has gotten slightly worse. Bugging the poo out of me now.
Old 4/8/07, 07:35 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by 2L8IWON
I had the exact same issue when I got my Foose wheels. Take your wheels off and check your wheel studs. If there are little washer looking things with small tabs on them take them off. These are ised by the factory to keep the rotor on the car during assembly.

What this does for your aftermarket wheels is it keeps them from 100% mate up with your brake assembly.

- Jess
I'll check it out today!........Thanks!
Old 4/8/07, 07:37 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
I guess I haven't noticed any shimmy with the stockers, but I'll remember this when I put on the 18" dd bullitts.
Old 4/8/07, 07:41 AM
Legacy TMS Member

- Jess
I also will check this out today. I am going to put the stockers back on today so I can take it for a front end alignment this week. I don't want to take the chance of getting my Pentars scratched up. But I still have the issue with the stock wheels and tires. Did you?
Scott
Old 4/8/07, 07:45 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by tom281
I guess I haven't noticed any shimmy with the stockers, but I'll remember this when I put on the 18" dd bullitts.
Wow! Tom you got Double D'S or is the deep dish!........
Old 4/8/07, 07:46 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Haha if I had the real DD's, I'd be spending much less time on this computer!
Old 4/8/07, 07:48 AM
Team Mustang Source

I also will check this out today. I am going to put the stockers back on today so I can take it for a front end alignment this week. I don't want to take the chance of getting my Pentars scratched up. But I still have the issue with the stock wheels and tires. Did you?
Scott
I never put my stockers back on, so I can't answer that one... If this doesn't fix it though I would go to a good local mom and popalignment shop and see what they have to say.

Good luck man
Old 4/8/07, 07:56 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by tom281
Haha if I had the real DD's, I'd be spending much less time on this computer!
Old 4/8/07, 07:57 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

[quote=70MACH1OWNER;886288]I also will check this out today. I am going to put the stockers back on today so I can take it for a front end alignment this week. I don't want to take the chance of getting my Pentars scratched up. But I still have the issue with the stock wheels and tires. Did you?
Scott[/quote Scott are you afraid to leave the drive!.....With those fancy pantsy Steeda wheels.
Old 4/8/07, 08:02 AM
Legacy TMS Member

[quote=blkstang06;886297]
Scott[/quote Scott are you afraid to leave the drive!.....With those fancy pantsy Steeda wheels.
No... but I am afraid of that gizmo they clamp on your rim to do an alignment.
Old 4/8/07, 08:11 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

[quote=70MACH1OWNER;886301]

No... but I am afraid of that gizmo they clamp on your rim to do an alignment.
I don't like gizmo's clamped to my rim either!.
Old 4/8/07, 09:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

- Jess
What 2L8IWON suggests will fix the problem in most cases.
I also had the same thing happen with the FR500's and 255/45 18's on mine.
After taking off the washers it went away.
Old 4/8/07, 11:11 AM
Cobra Member

Assuming the wheel stud spring clips are not in the way, its possibly one or combination of several things.

a) wheel balance

b) wheel and/or tire run out (how round is the mounted infalted tire?)

c) stiffness variation

also;

c) not likely with a new mounted tire, but cupping ... which generally only gets worse onces its started.

Some of the tire shops have a very special tire / wheel balancing machine. I have not had the occasion to ask for it yet, but Discount Tire is one of the shops who have them. Might be worth invesigating if you have not already.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoRideMatch.dos

also see;

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireBalancing.dos
Old 4/8/07, 11:39 AM
Cobra Member

Are the new wheels absolutely hubcentric? If not you'll need centering rings. That'll cause an issue. Since most folks upsize when they do a wheel/tire swap you might amplify an existing issue with the wider/lower profile tires. You'd be amazed how much tires themselves dampen suspension vibrations/shimmys. If the problem existed with stockers and worsened with bigger aftermarket wheels/tires you might have a bum control arm bushing.
Old 4/8/07, 01:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by RobK
Are the new wheels absolutely hubcentric? If not you'll need centering rings. That'll cause an issue. Since most folks upsize when they do a wheel/tire swap you might amplify an existing issue with the wider/lower profile tires. You'd be amazed how much tires themselves dampen suspension vibrations/shimmys. If the problem existed with stockers and worsened with bigger aftermarket wheels/tires you might have a bum control arm bushing.
At close to 300 bucks each for the Steeda Pentars I would surely hope so but I can not prove it. I do have the equipment at work I can bring home and prove it one way or the other if needed.
Scott

Quick Reply: Steering wheel shimmy