The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   GT Performance Mods (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f669/)
-   -   Steering wheel shimmy (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f669/steering-wheel-shimmy-450251/)

tom281 8/25/07 05:52 AM

shimy shimy coco puffs? WTH is that? :poke:

lattjolarsson 8/25/07 06:53 AM

Scott,
also from reading this thread it seems that I might have had this all along from the day I bought the car. But maybe it wasnt noticeable with my stock 17"s...? Could that also be atrue statement?

I am thinking with these new bigger tires, of a different brand, maybe they magnify a problem that was there all along...?

Thanks for this thread! I hope I can get rid of it.

MustangLynda 8/25/07 08:54 AM

I've been following this thread and since it has been resurrected let me just post my question..

I have an '06 GT, 8K miles, 17" stock tires. I feel a shimmy in the steering wheel, my feet, and my seat. It's there at any speed, although it gets worse the faster I go. At 80 mph it's really bad - I can actually see the back of the passenger seat shimmying away. But even at it's worst I never see the steering wheel shimmy, I only feel it. It does not go away after the tires are warm.

While on the highway at 80mph I stopped acceleration, put the car in nuetral, let the clutch out, and coasted. Shimmy was still there, unchanged.

Does this sound like a tire balance problem? Struts? (the strut tsb has not been done to this car). Something else?

I am a drivetrain/suspension illiterate :doh: Any input would be appreciated. Thanks as usual....

lattjolarsson 8/25/07 09:20 AM

I just made a reservation for Friday at a place to have my alignment and balace checked. Will post results as soon as I can.

70MACH1OWNER 8/26/07 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by lattjolarsson (Post 991607)
Scott,
also from reading this thread it seems that I might have had this all along from the day I bought the car. But maybe it wasnt noticeable with my stock 17"s...? Could that also be atrue statement?

I am thinking with these new bigger tires, of a different brand, maybe they magnify a problem that was there all along...?

Thanks for this thread! I hope I can get rid of it.

Fredrik,
I agree with you that the larger tires can magnify the issue. I think with the shorter side wall on the 18's and the Nitto's being more of a performance tire that they tend to transmitt more noise thru the front suspension. Let us know how they are after next Friday.
Scott :nice:

70MACH1OWNER 8/26/07 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by MustangLynda (Post 991637)
I've been following this thread and since it has been resurrected let me just post my question..

I have an '06 GT, 8K miles, 17" stock tires. I feel a shimmy in the steering wheel, my feet, and my seat. It's there at any speed, although it gets worse the faster I go. At 80 mph it's really bad - I can actually see the back of the passenger seat shimmying away. But even at it's worst I never see the steering wheel shimmy, I only feel it. It does not go away after the tires are warm.

While on the highway at 80mph I stopped acceleration, put the car in nuetral, let the clutch out, and coasted. Shimmy was still there, unchanged.

Does this sound like a tire balance problem? Struts? (the strut tsb has not been done to this car). Something else?

I am a drivetrain/suspension illiterate :doh: Any input would be appreciated. Thanks as usual....

Hi Lynda,
I for sure am no driveline / suspension expert either but I will give you a couple of other possibilites. It could be everything that you mentioned and more. But as bad as you seem to have it I would look at a tire that is "out-of-round" or a shock/strut that has lost it's gas charge and is allowing the tire to hop as it goes down the road. Both of these conditions will shake the entire car at all speeds. One more thing that can cause your problem is a driveshaft that is out of balance. Even on the highway when you pushed in the clutch and coast the driveshaft is still turning. I would get your car back to the dealer and have them find the problem and repair it. You definitely have a problem that is not normal and needs to be fixed. Good luck and report back.
Scott:nice:

lattjolarsson 8/27/07 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER (Post 992198)
Fredrik,
I agree with you that the larger tires can magnify the issue. I think with the shorter side wall on the 18's and the Nitto's being more of a performance tire that they tend to transmitt more noise thru the front suspension. Let us know how they are after next Friday.
Scott :nice:

Scott, another question: - did you ever put your stocks back on after fixing the issue? Are those still OK not showing the shimmy either?

70MACH1OWNER 8/27/07 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by lattjolarsson (Post 992797)
Scott, another question: - did you ever put your stocks back on after fixing the issue? Are those still OK not showing the shimmy either?

No I have not had the stock wheels and tires back on the car since fixing the Steeda's. I will put them back on the car for the winter months. I will take them to the same guy that balanced my Steeda wheels in the next few weeks. I will post if that fixed them or not.
Scott

blkstang06 8/27/07 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER (Post 992908)
No I have not had the stock wheels and tires back on the car since fixing the Steeda's. I will put them back on the car for the winter months. I will take them to the same guy that balanced my Steeda wheels in the next few weeks. I will post if that fixed them or not.
Scott

Come on! Scott, Run those Fancy pants Steeda's and Nitto's this winter.......you big whoosy.......:jester:

70MACH1OWNER 8/27/07 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by blkstang06 (Post 993014)
Come on! Scott, Run those Fancy pants Steeda's and Nitto's this winter.......you big whoosy.......:jester:

I think that is spelled "Whoosey" :dunno: At least that's how I spell it. I'm sure the chrome would hold up well in all that salt. :shame:

MrClean 8/27/07 02:50 PM

I had the shimmy at 60 1st thing in the morning, that would go away after 3 miles...had the tires balanced to the nearest 1/10th of an ounce (they usually only go to the nearest ΒΌ Oz), and it seems to have taken care of the problem.....

blkstang06 8/27/07 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER (Post 993022)
I think that is spelled "Whoosey" :dunno: At least that's how I spell it. I'm sure the chrome would hold up well in all that salt. :shame:

:lol: I guess you would know about " Excuse me " Whoosey more than me!!........:grin: :jester:

tom281 8/27/07 03:09 PM

It's wussy, you meatheads..... :poke:

Just kidding guys! :rofl2:

70MACH1OWNER 8/27/07 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by tom281 (Post 993038)
It's wussy, you meatheads..... :poke:

Just kidding guys! :rofl2:

No...he's the wussy. I guess I am still "whoosey" from the golf outing yesterday. :drunk2: :beer: :cheers: :drunk: :drunk:

blkstang06 8/27/07 04:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER (Post 993044)
No...he's the wussy. I guess I am still "whoosey" from the golf outing yesterday. :drunk2: :beer: :cheers: :drunk: :drunk:

No! I must be the woosie! to let my wife take picture of me looking like this!..:rofl2:

70MACH1OWNER 8/27/07 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by blkstang06 (Post 993092)
No! I must be the woosie! to let my wife take picture of me looking like this!..:rofl2:

Man...yours are bigger than mine to post that. Uncle!! :gay: :jester:
Scott

tom281 8/27/07 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by blkstang06 (Post 993092)

Whoa! You're that "you must be a redneck if......." Foxworthy guy?? Wow man you're really big on the comedy network. Hillbillies rule! :grin:

blkstang06 8/27/07 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by tom281 (Post 993233)
Whoa! You're that "you must be a redneck if......." Foxworthy guy?? Wow man you're really big on the comedy network. Hillbillies rule! :grin:

:lol: Ya!.. my mother is from Indiana..:grin: O' and by the way!..I've meant Jeff Foxworthy he's about 5'9''.. I'm 6'3'' and don't have any of his money:jester:

lattjolarsson 8/28/07 01:47 PM

Scott, do you think the shimmy is possible to be a risk of causing damages to the car/front suspension etc?

70MACH1OWNER 8/28/07 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by lattjolarsson (Post 993612)
Scott, do you think the shimmy is possible to be a risk of causing damages to the car/front suspension etc?

Fredrik,
I would seriously doubt that the minor shimmy that I had would ever cause any damage to the suspension even if it occurred for the long period of time. To me it is just very annoying and unacceptable for a car built today to do that. Just my .02$ BTW, I see from your bio info that you are a design engineer. What do you design? I am in the tool and die trade and design stamping dies for the auto and appliance industries.
Scott