GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Steeda LCA's go bad

Search this Thread

Old 9/14/05, 08:42 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just as the title states, my steeda billet lca's went bad on me after only 3000 miles. I was driving to work yesterday at 6am on the highway just like a normal day and went down to 4th to get to the hov lane and BAM! car jerks to the right like someone was pulling on the steering wheel. I am doing about 85-90 when this happens and almost lost control---anyways, it keeps doing the same thing everytime I "shock" the rearend by up or downshifting so I take it to my buddy who is a mechanic at Ford because everything it tight on the rearend that I check. Get it up on the lift and the front drivers side bushing in the arm is shredded and the rear is able to twist so much that the tire is almost hitting the front of the fender. the bushing was plenty greased and has not seen track duty in over 2 months so its not even taking a beating really. I am in no way saying steeda has poor quality but this is something that should definately not be taken lightly. I am curious if anyone else has had this happen with these or any other arms. I will be going there tomorrow to see what they say since they are local but am a little leary of using the same ones.
Old 9/14/05, 08:59 PM
GT Member

wow...that is absolutely rediculous. I really hope there was only a defect with yours or else a lot of people are in serious danger.
Old 9/15/05, 06:54 AM
Cobra Member

yeah...I am concerned about hearing this..better keep an eye on mine
Old 9/15/05, 07:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Did you tighten the nut/bolt to the arm when the car was at static ride height? If you torque it down then the car is jacked up and the axle drooping, your bushing is going to be shredded in no time.
Old 9/15/05, 07:51 AM
GT Member

that was the first thing my buddy at ford asked me-i tightened the rear bolts with the car up and with the rearend jacked up-then tightened the front ones on the ground. Everything was fine for about 3 months now and then it happened all of a sudden. well im off to steeda
Old 9/15/05, 10:00 AM
GT Member

update: dropped car off at steeda and they are putting in new "updated" bushings. I asked what was updated about them and the sales guy did not really know but he did say the outside of the bushing has a different angle to it. ??? anyways if the "old" bushings were this unsafe i think they would have released something to at least let everyone know. I bought these the end of May so I dont know when these new bushings were released. Just thought I would give everyone a heads up. Jan
Old 9/15/05, 01:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Jan,
I appreciate the heads-up! I have the Steeda control arms so I will check them to see if I can see any wear or tearing.

Thanks again

The Boss Hog
Old 9/15/05, 07:06 PM

I've replaced mine twice already. I've researched this quite a bit and every manuf. has had a few sets go bad. You name it, they've had a problem. I know Metco came out with a harder bushing that will hold up a bit longer. The only problem is that the ride will be just the same as having solids, transferring any possible vibrations and you'll get that clacking sound.
Steeda went from the 3 piece bushings to a singel piece with a urethane washer (besides the metal washer that is in the front). If you look at some of my previous posts at random, I couldn't figure out why the heck my car was stepping out to the right between shifts-normal driving. There was about a 1/4" of the bushing missing. I'm hoping these last a bit longer. I guess the only thing to keep from changing them out every so often is to go to solids!
I never mentioned it here because I attributed it to the abuse I give the car. I should have made it know-my apologies! Jan-Where the heck you been. Look at this, Jan and The boss hog in the same thread...lurkers!
Old 9/16/05, 04:39 PM
Team Mustang Source

Hmmm, I haven't noticed a problem with mine but I guess I better check them. There about 9 months or 12,000 miles old now.