GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Steeda CAI and Diablo (not steeda) Preditor

Search this Thread

Old 4/19/05, 08:57 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Have seen a couple of mentions here, and several threads else where about people having performance issues with the Diablo custom tune for the Steeda CAI.
I received this email from Diablo today ( after several attempts of emails ).

Dear Doc,

There is a slight issue with the Steeda tune as you described, we are adressing that as well as some internal upgrades, it will hopefully be shortly as we will test it out today so depending on how the testing goes we will put the new revisions up asap. The issue with the tune is nothing harmful to your engine so you do not need to worry about that just have some patience as we are testing these new files and upgrades.

Thank you for your interest in DiabloSport!
Stay tuned,
Johan, a proud member of the DiabloSport Support Team

So at least they have acknoledged the issue, and hopefully they will get a new tune out in the next few days. In the mean time, for anyone experiencing performance issues between 2k and 4k RPM using the custom Steeda tune downloaded from Diablo, this is what I did. I installed the Diablo Performance Tune, adjusted the spark in the 2k to 4k range by 6, and adjusted the WOT by 1%.
Not perfect, and I am sure it could use some work. But it runs good. I was going to get in to a dyno this week and tweak what I have, but I think I will wait until Diablo releases the new Steeda custom tune and actually compare the two.

Hope this helps out anyone that was having issues. I am just glad to finally get some sort of response from Diablo that addressed the problem instead of the typical canned answers that they provided on all of my previous emails to them.
Old 4/19/05, 09:21 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
I have both the Steeda CAI and the CM plates , so I don't know if we're having exactly the same problems or not. Also , I got my Predator directly from Steeda and not from Diablo . and there seems to be some differences depending on where you got the unit. I'm not sure why , since Steeda did none of the programming for the Predator and Diablo did it all. I also have the SCT , since that was the first unit that actually was able to handle the CM plates and I've had no problems when I'm running that tune. Sam at Steeda worked directly with SCT to get the tune right before they released the CM plates. When I got the Predator and loaded it's tune in , I had some problems below 2000 RPM. It was sluggish and the idle would sometimes hunt. On the plus side , the torque between 2000 RPM and 4000 RPM was alot more than with the SCT tune in 1st and 2nd gear. However about a week after I installed the tune , on a colder day , it produced too much torque and the computer sent me into the Forced Limited Power Mode and gave me two trouble codes about torque calculations. Once these were cleared I could drive the car normally again , but I installed the SCT tune again and took it back to Steeda. Sam said he could do nothing with the Preadator since he had done none of the programming and either I could return it or talk to Diablo about it. I would like to keep the Predator and so I contacted Diablo about it. I'm bringing my car into them on Saturday morning and they're going to try and work the problems out on the dyno. I'll let you know what happens ... :scratch:
Old 4/19/05, 10:11 AM
Cobra Member

Man...must stink to be in the same area as the distributors
Old 4/19/05, 12:32 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Ok, I am confused.

I have a Diablosport Predator, purchased through a speed shop. It is NOT a C&L or Steeda predator.

When i get my C&L intake...can I install the C&L tune on my predator? Or do I have to get a "C&L Predator"?

hope this makes sense...
Old 4/19/05, 12:38 PM

Originally posted by SurfnSoCal@April 19, 2005, 12:35 PM
Ok, I am confused.

I have a Diablosport Predator, purchased through a speed shop. It is NOT a C&L or Steeda predator.

When i get my C&L intake...can I install the C&L tune on my predator? Or do I have to get a "C&L Predator"?

hope this makes sense...

Hi,
Yes, you can install the C&L tune, there is a 91 octane and a 93 octane new versions, not sure if they're online yet.

Somewhatdamaged
Old 4/19/05, 01:25 PM
Cobra Member

Diablos vendor specific "custom tunes" link is still off line. It has been down for about a week now.
Old 4/19/05, 02:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by 05YellowGT@April 19, 2005, 11:24 AM
I have both the Steeda CAI and the CM plates , so I don't know if we're having exactly the same problems or not. Also , I got my Predator directly from Steeda and not from Diablo . and there seems to be some differences depending on where you got the unit. I'm not sure why , since Steeda did none of the programming for the Predator and Diablo did it all. I also have the SCT , since that was the first unit that actually was able to handle the CM plates and I've had no problems when I'm running that tune. Sam at Steeda worked directly with SCT to get the tune right before they released the CM plates. When I got the Predator and loaded it's tune in , I had some problems below 2000 RPM. It was sluggish and the idle would sometimes hunt. On the plus side , the torque between 2000 RPM and 4000 RPM was alot more than with the SCT tune in 1st and 2nd gear. However about a week after I installed the tune , on a colder day , it produced too much torque and the computer sent me into the Forced Limited Power Mode and gave me two trouble codes about torque calculations. Once these were cleared I could drive the car normally again , but I installed the SCT tune again and took it back to Steeda. Sam said he could do nothing with the Preadator since he had done none of the programming and either I could return it or talk to Diablo about it. I would like to keep the Predator and so I contacted Diablo about it. I'm bringing my car into them on Saturday morning and they're going to try and work the problems out on the dyno. I'll let you know what happens ... :scratch:
Does your predator have the 91 performance tune or do all of the tunes require you at least have the CAI?
Old 4/20/05, 06:18 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally posted by 2Slack+April 19, 2005, 4:17 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(2Slack @ April 19, 2005, 4:17 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-05YellowGT@April 19, 2005, 11:24 AM
Does your predator have the 91 performance tune or do all of the tunes require you at least have the CAI?
[/b][/quote]

I believe it does :scratch: , since I have the CAI & CM Plates I loaded that tune and really didn't pay much attention to what else was on there. However , I think they all come with the stock performance tunes ...

Hawgman , it stinks for them , since they have to look me in the eye when they give their excuses ...