GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Steeda cai 90mm elbow and TUNE

Search this Thread

Old 3/23/07, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tifo
Hang on a minute there Captain 1/4 mile...

Before you found an excuse to post your proud timesheet, remember that the discussion was over the "stock" HP rating of a Mustang GT.

CR from TillmanSpeed has also stated that there is a 16% loss from the flywheel to the wheels. So even if (according to what you said) the average Mustang is at 264 RWHP that is still 314HP at the flywheel with a 16% loss. My estimate of 317HP for a manual trans is not far off.

I don't know why I'm looking at your 1/4 mile time sheet. My post was to show the horsepower gains from a Steeda CAI (that's what this thread is about) with Ford Racing's pro-cal tune vs. a custom tune.

If you don't believe in dyno numbers that's your problem, but I see no point in your post (except) to flash us your 1/4 mile times.

~Ray
Funny I thought that the discussion was on an aftermarket intake and tune

This is why I posted the times my car ran stock, stock with a tune, and with an intake and a tune.

It is your confrontational attitude with the assumption that everyone is lying that set me off.

If you had been around here for the last 2 years you would know by now that the gains from the Steeda and the C&L are virtually identical and I mentioned that back on page 2 of this thread.

The only reason my old timeslips were posted was to refute your statement that 1/4 mile testing is inaccurate.
I believe that the repeatability is in the 99.99% range.

If you did not want confrontation you would not have used the smiley.
Old 3/23/07, 02:39 PM
Bullitt Member

After I had my dyno done the tuner said it was a safe tune and he could probably squeeze about 8-10 rwhp out the engine with the current mods. I did notice a slightly quicker response when I added the elbow although I don't knoiw if it translated to the 8 hp they indicate on the web site (Steeda).
Old 3/23/07, 09:57 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,143 Likes on 1,723 Posts
Originally Posted by YaoNYC
hi everyone...

lets keep the PEACEFUL steeda cai/90mm elbow discussion going

everyone has the right to own opinions

thanks very much everyone!
And everyone also has a right to ask questions as well, especially when in doubt
Old 3/23/07, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by metroplex
There are wideband O2s that the PRP users can use to monitor AFR and tweak the transfer function accordingly but it involves access to a chassis dyno, or a long stretch of road

Luckily I used the Marauder airbox and MAF on my Vic, so I just imported the factory air transfer function (which is now included in the value files that SCT supplies). My LTFT looks to be no more than 5%-7% (which is not the same as logging wideband O2 readings in closed loop on a chassis dyno), well within the factory spec of +/- 20% for that model year.
I'll put it this way, If I had access to a chassis dyno, understanding the concepts behind it's functions and how to operate one as also with a wideband 02 along with having some basic and advanced knowledge of electronic tuning ? not only would I be tuning my own car but I'd also be tuning cars for a living just as CR fromTillmanSpeed has been successful in doing and although I have a very strong desire and interest to learn ? I wouldn't dare attempt taking the risk in possibly doing something that could void my factory warranty plus I also purchased an extended warranty as well in which I'd stand to risk losing even more and all it would take is just one critical error and I'd be kissing my warranty coverage goodbye or even possibly end up with a blown engine as well..Therefore, I much prefer to leave the air transfer function and performance tuning to the experts such as CR, Doug, Brent, Mike and Paul..However if CR would be willing to train me ? hint hint..I would definitely enjoy tuning cars for a living
Old 3/23/07, 11:10 PM
Former Vendor

Rocky,

When we get to our new facilities, you're more than welcome to hang around and watch. I'll be glad to show you what I know. I'm no tuning genious, but I'm learning... and we're doing pretty good so far. Experience is where it's all at, and we're gaining that every day. We can only get better!! We'd be happy to show you some pretty neat features when our facilities are up and rolling. No pun intended! Too bad you don't live an hour or two east!

And I appreciate the kind comments!

CR
Tillman Speed
Old 3/23/07, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by TillmanSpeed
Rocky,

When we get to our new facilities, you're more than welcome to hang around and watch. I'll be glad to show you what I know. I'm no tuning genious, but I'm learning... and we're doing pretty good so far. Experience is where it's all at, and we're gaining that every day. We can only get better!! We'd be happy to show you some pretty neat features when our facilities are up and rolling. No pun intended! Too bad you don't live an hour or two east!

And I appreciate the kind comments!

CR
Tillman Speed
I'd also be more than willing to relocate, providing of course the right job opportunity becomes available lol. As I'd more than welcome a much needed career change..
Old 3/25/07, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by metroplex
Thanks! With a 16% correction, 270 rwhp is actually closer to 321 fwhp, which is very good for a bone stock S197 GT.
270 rwhp usually isn't the average Metroplex..Although I've seen some post as high as 270 ? the average posted is normally between 260 and 265 after the 15% drivetrain loss..However after subtracting 15% rwhp loss from the factory 300 HP rating at the crank ? the actual RWHP = 255...In fact someone from another Mustang forum posted their stock dyno results after 3 pulls in which the first pull came in at 250rwhp followed by 253rwhp and finally 263rwhp which seems to coincide between the 260 and 265 averages.. Therefore with a 16% correction factor 263 rwhp comes out to approx 305.8 fwhp or at the crank which indicates just a 5.8 HP difference over the stock 300 HP rating although even at 305.8 HP ? that still isn't bad for a bone stock S-197 Mustang GT by all means..
Old 3/28/07, 09:42 PM
Bullitt Member

dave_bought_another_black_stang's Avatar

FYI.....

I have some interesting results from installing the Steeda Hi-Flow inlet tube to my car that has had the Steeda CAI / SCT xCal2 Steeda tune installed for almost a year.....
I don't have dyno numbers, but I have some subjective reports to add to the discussion. Before the Elbow, the tires solidly barked b/n 1-2 gear, and did not bark b/n 2-3 gears.

AFTER changing the tube to The Steeda version....the tires bark stronger on shifting from 1-2 and now bark shifting from 2-3. The shift from 1-2 is now strong enough to elicit some wheel hop which is new, so i guess now I need some LCA's.
That was on the same road in about 65 degree temperature here in sunnyvale, CA today. The car was cold at start up with and without the elbow, idled for 3 minutes before 'take-off'. My car has an AT, so the shifting was at WOT for each 'run'. The traction control was switched to off both times.

So all I can say is that there is definitely a difference between the STEEDA CAI without the elbow and with the elbow. It is definite, noticeable, and significant.

PS, i have brand new pirelli stock version tires with <1000 miles and stock 'bullitt' rims on the car.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
Steeda Hi Flow Inlet tube.bmp (430.5 KB, 133 views)
File Type: bmp
elbow differences.bmp (493.6 KB, 136 views)
Old 3/28/07, 10:43 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by dave_bought_another_black_stang
FYI.....

I have some interesting results from installing the Steeda Hi-Flow inlet tube to my car that has had the Steeda CAI / SCT xCal2 Steeda tune installed for almost a year.....
I don't have dyno numbers, but I have some subjective reports to add to the discussion. Before the Elbow, the tires solidly barked b/n 1-2 gear, and did not bark b/n 2-3 gears.

AFTER changing the tube to The Steeda version....the tires bark stronger on shifting from 1-2 and now bark shifting from 2-3. The shift from 1-2 is now strong enough to elicit some wheel hop which is new, so i guess now I need some LCA's.
That was on the same road in about 65 degree temperature here in sunnyvale, CA today. The car was cold at start up with and without the elbow, idled for 3 minutes before 'take-off'. My car has an AT, so the shifting was at WOT for each 'run'. The traction control was switched to off both times.

So all I can say is that there is definitely a difference between the STEEDA CAI without the elbow and with the elbow. It is definite, noticeable, and significant.

PS, i have brand new pirelli stock version tires with <1000 miles and stock 'bullitt' rims on the car.

thanks dave. great report! makes me lean towards an all steeda setup even more.
Old 3/28/07, 10:44 PM
Cobra Member

steeda cone filter, how much is that filter to buy?

i guess im too lazy to clean it every year..i would rather just buy it!
Old 3/28/07, 10:54 PM

disregard, posted incorrect response
Old 3/28/07, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by YaoNYC
steeda cone filter, how much is that filter to buy?

i guess im too lazy to clean it every year..i would rather just buy it!
To be honest with you Yao, I would first check with Steeda directly and ask to speak to Jason in tech support and let him know that I referred you and I'm sure he'd be more than glad to sell you the filter element or you can also ask CR from TillmanSpeed who I'm also certain would be more than happy to work something out for you as well..
Old 3/28/07, 11:04 PM
Cobra R Member

They don't take verylong to clean, and as long as its low miles it won't take long at all
Old 3/28/07, 11:04 PM
Cobra R Member

Besides they are just as easy to take off as they are to install
Old 3/28/07, 11:06 PM
Cobra Member

cool! someone just told me the steeda cone filter itself is only like $50!
Old 3/28/07, 11:13 PM
Cobra R Member

I think you can even get them cheaper than that at a local parts store. You just need the size and to trust those brands, they carry, some carry K&N.
Old 3/28/07, 11:17 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by DynamicmustangGT
I think you can even get them cheaper than that at a local parts store. You just need the size and to trust those brands, they carry, some carry K&N.
thanks dynamic.

is the steeda cone BLUE filter available at most parts stores?

K&N will work too?

thanks!
Old 3/28/07, 11:22 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
To be honest with you Yao, I would first check with Steeda directly and ask to speak to Jason in tech support and let him know that I referred you and I'm sure he'd be more than glad to sell you the filter element or you can also ask CR from TillmanSpeed who I'm also certain would be more than happy to work something out for you as well..
thanks m05fastbackGT.

i'll do that and see how much they charge me!

i'll update everyone....
Old 3/28/07, 11:32 PM
Cobra R Member

As long as they make a cone that is similar, I don't think steeda makes the cone, and I would think that since someone else most likly makes the cone then it would be availible somewhere, but don't skimp on qaulity
Old 3/29/07, 10:17 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by dave_bought_another_black_stang
FYI.....
Very cool, thanks for the great info.

Quick Reply: Steeda cai 90mm elbow and TUNE