GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Steeda cai 90mm elbow and TUNE

Search this Thread

Old 3/22/07, 07:32 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by blkstang06
Hey! metro, I'm I reading this correctly? are you really going to dump your factory cold air intake!....I've read many posts where you avidly argued against aftermarket CAI's do to what you felt was inadequate air filtration.........Giving in?......getting a thirst for some more HP?.......
I'm still going to keep the factory airbox and paper panel filter. However, hypothetically speaking, if I were to upgrade to an aftermarket CAI, I'd most likely go with the C&L Racer unless I find anything genuinely wrong with that CAI setup.
Old 3/22/07, 08:10 AM
Meet Krissy, Our Star Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
However being that Paul from meister@steeda.ca wrote your program files exclusively for your Mustang ? you have exactly the same type of mail order custom program files that Doug would write up for you...Therefore you do not have base nor canned SCT program files otherwise you would still notice that dreaded throttle lag left over from the stock tune files and this I know from personal experience which was my reason for switching over to Doug's tunes...and If I'm not mistaken, isn't Paul also an SCT/Steeda authorized dealer ? Anyway I hope some of this clears up any confusion from my previous post and explains in more detail the difference between a preloaded SCT based canned tune/programmer and a custom mail order tune from an authorized SCT dealer..
Hey Rocky, Thanks for that. You're totally right, I did provide Paul w/my 4 digit engine code and all my mods etc and he factored all those in. I know he went down to SCT in (FLA?) and was certified to tune etc. So sounds like we're all getting the same deal.

So then, if I'm reading right, if you get the FRPP, you just get a truly 'canned' tune yes? If that's the case, then YaoNYC if your heart is set on Steeda as they have a link with Ford, I'd just recommend getting either a) the FRPP (if you REALLY want the warranty factor), save that canned tune on your PC and pay a proper tuner to email you a better tune (Doug, Brent, Paul etc) if you can or b) just buy the Steeda branded CAI & Tune from an authorized SCT tuner - I assume this option would be net cheaper, plus you support local dealers . Would be the better way to go IMHO.

K
Old 3/22/07, 08:24 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I think the FRPP kit includes a tuner device and doesn't allow you to save the files, just like most of the other CAI kits that come with a X-Cal 2 / Predator / Diablo. Buying the CAI kit from a SCT dealer will allow them to flash the device with their tunes and might give you a few more ponies.
Old 3/22/07, 10:26 AM
Cobra Member

lets stick to the STEEDA topic :)

hi everyone...
if we can stick to the STEED CAI topic that would be great!

thanks all
Old 3/22/07, 10:33 AM
Legacy TMS Member

The Steeda and FRPP CAIs are quite similar, sans the elbow on the FRPP.

Old 3/22/07, 03:48 PM
Cobra Member

thanks metroplex! looks good...

steeda cai and elbow seem good....
Old 3/22/07, 03:53 PM
Cobra Member

who has best prices on Steeda cai elbow?
Old 3/22/07, 04:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by YaoNYC
Saw a few sites @ $109.95 shipped.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Steed...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 3/22/07, 05:06 PM
GT Member

Just thought I'd chime in again.

The funny thing is when looking at the two pictures of Steeda vs. Ford Racing's intake, I will tell you that my Ford Racing intake came in blue just like the bottom picture of the Steeda.
Ford Racing CAI: To be or not to be a Steeda intake? That is the question...

No seriously...this will shed some light on the issue of Ford Racing's pro-cal tuner vs. a custom tune:

After I had the Ford Racing CAI installed and the new Steeda inlet elbow, I dynoed my car on a dynojet with the Ford Racing procal-tune loaded and got 275 RWHP and that was with my X-pipe installed too. The ridiculous thing is that my car pulled 270 RWHP with the STOCK airbox and no X-pipe. So I only gained 5 RWHP with the Ford Racing's CAI and pro-cal tune!

Please don't believe what Ford Racing says about gaining 20HP at the wheels...it's a lie. Dyno numbers don't lie...

The sad fact is that everyone thinks a stock Mustang GT has 300HP and the truth is that if you dyno a stock Mustang GT you would know that isn't true.

Several people on this board with a (manual trans) STOCK Mustang GT have dynoed their car and got approx 270RWHP. At the standard 15% loss to the wheels...a stock Mustang GT is actually closer to around 317HP at the flywheel. So the Pro-cal tune is only giving me 5 RWHP more which is about 6-7 extra horsepower at the flywheel (look at my dyno results comparing my car "stock" to the all the equipment installed with the Ford Racing pro-cal tune loaded).

----> With a custom tune loaded into my car, I went back to the dyno and ran 288.75 RWHP and 306 torque with the same exact equipment. At 15% loss to the wheels, I'm getting about 340HP at the flywheel.

Like I said before, the Steeda CAI delivers great power...it's the tune that makes all the difference in the world.

~Ray
Old 3/22/07, 05:52 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,143 Likes on 1,723 Posts
For over the past year, I've posted time and time again the FRPP and Steeda intakes are one in the same, in which Jason from Steeda confirmed this personally just before I purchased mine back in May of last year...They design the FRPP intake for Ford as a direct result of their partnership in Ford's technology transfer program..
Old 3/22/07, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by tifo
Just thought I'd chime in again.

The funny thing is when looking at the two pictures of Steeda vs. Ford Racing's intake, I will tell you that my Ford Racing intake came in blue just like the bottom picture of the Steeda.
Ford Racing CAI: To be or not to be a Steeda intake? That is the question...

No seriously...this will shed some light on the issue of Ford Racing's pro-cal tuner vs. a custom tune:

After I had the Ford Racing CAI installed and the new Steeda inlet elbow, I dynoed my car on a dynojet with the Ford Racing procal-tune loaded and got 275 RWHP and that was with my X-pipe installed too. The ridiculous thing is that my car pulled 270 RWHP with the STOCK airbox and no X-pipe. So I only gained 5 RWHP with the Ford Racing's CAI and pro-cal tune!

Please don't believe what Ford Racing says about gaining 20HP at the wheels...it's a lie. Dyno numbers don't lie...

The sad fact is that everyone thinks a stock Mustang GT has 300HP and the truth is that if you dyno a stock Mustang GT you would know that isn't true.

Several people on this board with a (manual trans) STOCK Mustang GT have dynoed their car and got approx 270RWHP. At the standard 15% loss to the wheels...a stock Mustang GT is actually closer to around 317HP at the flywheel. So the Pro-cal tune is only giving me 5 RWHP more which is about 6-7 extra horsepower at the flywheel (look at my dyno results comparing my car "stock" to the all the equipment installed with the Ford Racing pro-cal tune loaded).

----> With a custom tune loaded into my car, I went back to the dyno and ran 288.75 RWHP and 306 torque with the same exact equipment. At 15% loss to the wheels, I'm getting about 340HP at the flywheel.

Like I said before, the Steeda CAI delivers great power...it's the tune that makes all the difference in the world.

~Ray
Right on Ray
Old 3/22/07, 06:15 PM
Former Vendor

Absolutely agree. The tune is the meat and potatoes of the air intake. Other than some piping diameter, some being plastic, some metal...

All of them are a cone filter with a heatshield and a 90 degree bend to the throttle body. The flow numbers are going to be minutely different no matter which you choose... JLT, C&L, Steeda, etc. With exception for a few, such as the straight shot cone filters out there like the WMS...

Regardless the power is in the MAF Transfer function.

CR
Old 3/22/07, 06:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I recall the drivetrain loss being less than 15% using a 4R70W (the 4-speed auto on the 99-04 GTs) with the TC locked in 3rd gear. I'd imagine the loss being even less with the TR-3650? Does anyone have exact figures?

270 rwhp is very good for the stock GT, however some of the documented dyno figures definitely show gains of about 15 rwhp with some of the CAI kits (285 rwhp vs 270 rwhp) and a tune.
Old 3/22/07, 06:25 PM
Former Vendor

Usually the standard correction is 16%. Mustang dyno's give even lower numbers.

Rocky, did you ever get your RWHP with your Steeda CAI/Tune? 270RWHP sounds awefully low to me.

We got 291/312 out of JLT II/X Pipe running our 93 octane tune on a MD-250 eddie-current.
Old 3/22/07, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Rondosa
Hey Rocky, Thanks for that. You're totally right, I did provide Paul w/my 4 digit engine code and all my mods etc and he factored all those in. I know he went down to SCT in (FLA?) and was certified to tune etc. So sounds like we're all getting the same deal.

So then, if I'm reading right, if you get the FRPP, you just get a truly 'canned' tune yes? If that's the case, then YaoNYC if your heart is set on Steeda as they have a link with Ford, I'd just recommend getting either a) the FRPP (if you REALLY want the warranty factor), save that canned tune on your PC and pay a proper tuner to email you a better tune (Doug, Brent, Paul etc) if you can or b) just buy the Steeda branded CAI & Tune from an authorized SCT tuner - I assume this option would be net cheaper, plus you support local dealers . Would be the better way to go IMHO.

K
Kristina, as for the FRPP canned tuner ? it's nothing more than a little black box that just uploads a single conservative tune file calibrated for just 91-93 octane and the cold air intake and that's pretty much about it unless you order the ring and pinion gears file to go along with it but unlike the SCT X-CAL II ? there are no end user adjustments to select from to make changes to any of the parameters.. in fact you cant even connect it to a PC let alone save or download a different tune file because there just isn't a USB cable available thanks to those boneheads over at FRPP lol. So as you mentioned to YaoNYC, unless your heart absolutely depends on the FRPP warranty ? don't even waste your hard earned money on that piece of garbage..Use that money towards a custom X-CAL II programmer and Steeda intake from a reputable SCT custom dealer instead..
Old 3/22/07, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by TillmanSpeed

Rocky, did you ever get your RWHP with your Steeda CAI/Tune? 270RWHP sounds awefully low to me.

We got 291/312 out of JLT II/X Pipe running our 93 octane tune on a MD-250 eddie-current.
I haven't just yet Chris..my insurance coverage remains suspended until April because of the Stang being in storage during winter from December through April of every year..But as soon as the coverage automatically reinstates within the next 10 days ? I'll give Mike a call over at Powerhouse to set up an appointment and if for some reason that doesn't work out ? I'll give you a call and set something up although I'm debating if I should hold off until getting the Prochamber and then get both tested at the same time
Old 3/22/07, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by YaoNYC
Try CR from TillmanSpeed, perhaps he can work something out for you..
Old 3/22/07, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by metroplex
The C&L Racer is the least restrictive CAI from what I can see. The whole purpose in replacing the stock airbox is to get rid of the so-called "restriction".

I don't need the Predator/X-Cal 2/Diablo tuner combo because I have the SCT PRP, which makes the $299 C&L Racer CAI the best deal of all. Every other kit was above $300, and the C&L Racer gives the most leeway when it comes to future upgrades. Buying multiple tuners is a waste of money IMHO, and could have been spent buying the SCT PRP if you're serious about modding.
I don't quite follow what you mean about needing to buy multiple tuners you only need one X-CAL II programmer or Diablo Predator for any of the cold air intakes available..Unless your referring to each of the cold air intakes requiring different tuning files..if this is what your referring to ? any authorized SCT dealer can e-mail those files in which you can download straight into the programmer via USB cable and your PC..I'm also confused about the SCT PRP and if I'm not mistaken, doesn't the SCT Pro racing package require some sort of Programming and tuning skills and if it does ? I can assure you that I have neither any programming nor tuning skills as I'm also certain that most of us who have these cold air packages don't as well either..
Old 3/22/07, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by TillmanSpeed

Chris, I forgot to ask earlier if you had the chance to check Kristina's dyno results ? she got 290 HP. with just the Steeda intake and this was on a Mustang dyno..I could just imagine if it had been on a dynojet ? she more than likely would have gone well over the 300 HP mark..
Old 3/22/07, 10:50 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by tifo

~Ray
Yup, I don't buy the 20HP Ford Racing claim either.

I ran the FRPP pro-cal tune for a couple of days, and the car didn't really feel much different than stock, I was disappointed. I had a run with a S197, don't know if it was manual or auto, but we were pretty much neck-to-neck up to about 80, then we had to let go, I was gaining on him just very slightly on the high end, but almost negligible. I had the GTA+FRPP intake+FRPP tune, he had an exhaust, don't know which one.

So needless to say I was very disappointed and had Brenspeed hook me up with a tune for that intake (same as the one they use for Steeda.) Night and day in performance

Quick Reply: Steeda cai 90mm elbow and TUNE