Steeda cai 90mm elbow and TUNE

Search this Thread

Old 3/22/07, 10:56 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by YaoNYC
thanks metroplex! looks good...

steeda cai and elbow seem good....
One question about the steeda elbow: why are the silicone hose connectors blue? The C&L has the same thing. I hate the look of these things. Can I get black ones instead? steeda.com doesn't say anything about that.

Also, am I really going to see some gains if I switch from the stock elbow to the steeda elbow? steeda.com claims 8hp gain, but it's not clear compared to what, and that sounds like a lot to me. Any thoughts?
Old 3/22/07, 10:57 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Rondosa
Hey Rocky, Thanks for that. You're totally right, I did provide Paul w/my 4 digit engine code and all my mods etc and he factored all those in. I know he went down to SCT in (FLA?) and was certified to tune etc. So sounds like we're all getting the same deal.

So then, if I'm reading right, if you get the FRPP, you just get a truly 'canned' tune yes? If that's the case, then YaoNYC if your heart is set on Steeda as they have a link with Ford, I'd just recommend getting either a) the FRPP (if you REALLY want the warranty factor), save that canned tune on your PC and pay a proper tuner to email you a better tune (Doug, Brent, Paul etc) if you can or b) just buy the Steeda branded CAI & Tune from an authorized SCT tuner - I assume this option would be net cheaper, plus you support local dealers . Would be the better way to go IMHO.

K
thanks rondosa. that is great advice! im going to consider all options...
Old 3/22/07, 11:18 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Chris, I forgot to ask earlier if you had the chance to check Kristina's dyno results ? she got 290 HP. with just the Steeda intake and this was on a Mustang dyno..I could just imagine if it had been on a dynojet ? she more than likely would have gone well over the 300 HP mark..
Rocky,

Yea that's some good numbers there! I think with the correction factor out of there, it would have seen 302 probably. That's awesome!

Also, regarding your other post I would wait until the ProChamber to dyno, it will make about a 5RWHP+ increase with the right tuning.

Yeah, let me know. If Powerhouse doesn't work out for you, we sure will! Now that the weather is clearing up, maybe we can get you in before or after the April showers?

CR
Tillman Speed
Old 3/22/07, 11:21 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by sycd
One question about the steeda elbow: why are the silicone hose connectors blue? The C&L has the same thing. I hate the look of these things. Can I get black ones instead? steeda.com doesn't say anything about that.

Also, am I really going to see some gains if I switch from the stock elbow to the steeda elbow? steeda.com claims 8hp gain, but it's not clear compared to what, and that sounds like a lot to me. Any thoughts?
I think the 8 HP is a pretty optimistic, but Doug from Bamachips personally recommended the inlet elbow to me and I figured with his tuning experience there is a good reason...

Just looking at the difference in diameter (especially where it feeds into the throttle body) you can see that the Steeda elbow is much wider and probably feeds more air than the stock tube. IMO, It looks pretty sweet on my sky blue Mustang too.

Take a look:
Attached Images  
Old 3/22/07, 11:28 PM
Cobra R Member

it looks a lot better than the stock tube with the ribs, and its a more direct route to the tb instead of curving towrds the front then into the tb, this design probably helps out alot with throttle lag but I don not have proof of that yet.
Old 3/23/07, 02:38 AM
Cobra R Member

[quote=sycd;872449]One question about the steeda elbow: why are the silicone hose connectors blue? quote]

Not sure the size on the diameter but I have found some at jegs, check under superchargers but don't go car specific, and they have back ones up to 3.0" which seems about right. maybe not though but they have different sizes there
Old 3/23/07, 02:43 AM
Cobra R Member

here ya go
Old 3/23/07, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by tifo
Just thought I'd chime in again.

The funny thing is when looking at the two pictures of Steeda vs. Ford Racing's intake, I will tell you that my Ford Racing intake came in blue just like the bottom picture of the Steeda.
Ford Racing CAI: To be or not to be a Steeda intake? That is the question...

No seriously...this will shed some light on the issue of Ford Racing's pro-cal tuner vs. a custom tune:

After I had the Ford Racing CAI installed and the new Steeda inlet elbow, I dynoed my car on a dynojet with the Ford Racing procal-tune loaded and got 275 RWHP and that was with my X-pipe installed too. The ridiculous thing is that my car pulled 270 RWHP with the STOCK airbox and no X-pipe. So I only gained 5 RWHP with the Ford Racing's CAI and pro-cal tune!

Please don't believe what Ford Racing says about gaining 20HP at the wheels...it's a lie. Dyno numbers don't lie...

The sad fact is that everyone thinks a stock Mustang GT has 300HP and the truth is that if you dyno a stock Mustang GT you would know that isn't true.

Several people on this board with a (manual trans) STOCK Mustang GT have dynoed their car and got approx 270RWHP. At the standard 15% loss to the wheels...a stock Mustang GT is actually closer to around 317HP at the flywheel. So the Pro-cal tune is only giving me 5 RWHP more which is about 6-7 extra horsepower at the flywheel (look at my dyno results comparing my car "stock" to the all the equipment installed with the Ford Racing pro-cal tune loaded).

----> With a custom tune loaded into my car, I went back to the dyno and ran 288.75 RWHP and 306 torque with the same exact equipment. At 15% loss to the wheels, I'm getting about 340HP at the flywheel.

Like I said before, the Steeda CAI delivers great power...it's the tune that makes all the difference in the world.

~Ray
Just to make myself perfectly clear I am not a great believer in bench racing and dyno numbers don't mean much to me.
This is not the first time I see you stating that dyno numbers are not accurate. The last time was in the Shelby GT thread.
I don't think that you understand the amount of problems a higher manufacturers rating can bring given the manufacturing tolerances and the different break in methods used by different people.

With all the lawsuits surrounding the horsepower ratings of the first generation Cobras it is reasonable for Ford to use an attainable rating.

I prefer dragstrip testing in conjunction with weather monitoring for density altitude purposes.
There are correction factors which can be used to level the playing field and make the data usefull.

A dyno is instrumental in the development and tuning and testing different variables but a 1% margin of error will throw a wrench into almost any test result especially when other variables such as weather and heat soak are involved.

When you also add in the fact that different pulls are done on different days or different dynos and you have a recipe for failure.

Just to clear up a few things here when you say a few have made 270 rwhp you are correct but that number is not the norm.

If you dig up very early posts during the S197 life cycle you will find that the low was an oddball 246rwhp and the other oddball was 280rwhp.
The 280rwhp was the Anderson Ford Motorsport screaming yellow shop car which was selected by dynoing 20 of the cars that they received on their own dyno.
The average was 264rwhp which with a 15% drivetrain loss would put it closer to 305rwhp.

I have always used canned tunes in my car with great results. When I was naturally aspirated I performed some back to back tests one day when there was not much activity at our local dragstrip.
I had posted the results quite a while back but it goes to show you the differences made between tunes and components.

This is instrumental in also showing what increased torque does since the rule of thumb is 2/10ths at the end of the 1/4 mile for every 1/10th reduction in 60' time.

Here is the link to the earlier post.
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showpo...63&postcount=6

Here is the cut and paste
"3 runs were done with each configuration.
1/2 hour cool down time between runs.
The MPH is always high at that track by 2.5-3 mph.

I actually did back to back to back testing.
Stock VS. 93 Octane Diablosport Canned tune VS. C&L Street Kit and 93 Octane Diablosport C&L Canned tune.

The results were

Stock intake and stock tune 2.094 ft. 13.757 @ 102.630 mph.
Stock intake and Diablo 93 octane tune 2.041 ft. 13.535 @ 104.577 mph.
C&L Intake and Diablo 93 octane C&L tune 1.954 ft. 13.274 @ 107.453 mph.

The car went on to run 12.95 @ 103 on the brakes with BFG Drag Radials later the same day during eliminations.

My 1/4 mile times were within 0.015 between this track and Englishtown NJ. with a comparable DA"

My car now has over 800 1/4 mile runs to date along with over 20,000 street driven miles so I'm confident in the data which I provide.
Old 3/23/07, 03:45 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
I don't quite follow what you mean about needing to buy multiple tuners you only need one X-CAL II programmer or Diablo2 for any of the cold air intakes available..
Most of the CAI kits come with a new flasher. It's cheaper if you don't buy it with the flasher, but sometimes there's no option. I know of a few Mustang owners that just buy the CAI combo kits and end up with 2-3 different flasher units. I would recommend just buying the CAI you want (without a flasher) and get custom made tunes from a SCT dealer or make the tunes yourself using the SCT PRP.

I'm also confused about the SCT PRP and if I'm not mistaken, doesn't the SCT Pro racing package require some sort of Programming and tuning skills and if it does ? I can assure you that I have neither any programming nor tuning skills as I'm also certain that most of us who have these cold air packages don't as well either..
The SCT PRP includes the same Advantage 3 software that SCT dealers are using. No programming skills are required, but a half-way decent idea of how to tune cars is required, along with an interest in learning about the "tuning" process. If you can use a mouse to click through some items, you can use the SCT PRP to load the proper air transfer function for your CAI kit. I've been using the SCT PRP for the past 3 years mainly to tune my Crown Vic. I'm waiting for the warranty to expire on the Stang before I perform any real mods.
Old 3/23/07, 03:48 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by TillmanSpeed
Usually the standard correction is 16%. Mustang dyno's give even lower numbers.

Rocky, did you ever get your RWHP with your Steeda CAI/Tune? 270RWHP sounds awefully low to me.

We got 291/312 out of JLT II/X Pipe running our 93 octane tune on a MD-250 eddie-current.
Is that an actual correction factor or just a standard rule of thumb (like 25% for automatics)? At 16%, the TR-3650 is less efficient than the 4R70W.
Has anyone determined the actual drivetrain loss for the TR-3650 in 4th gear?
Old 3/23/07, 07:25 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by thump_rrr
Just to make myself perfectly clear I am not a great believer in bench racing and dyno numbers don't mean much to me.
On one hand you say that dyno numbers don't mean much to you because certain variables can create inaccuracies, but then you state your claims on 1/4 mile times which have even more variables and margins for error (not to mention driver variables).
Old 3/23/07, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by tifo
On one hand you say that dyno numbers don't mean much to you because certain variables can create inaccuracies, but then you state your claims on 1/4 mile times which have even more variables and margins for error (not to mention driver variables).
If you don't know how to drive that's your problem.
We test our cars to see how they perform but the bottom line is that they must perform with us behind the wheel.
Here are 3 runs I have done within 1/100th of a second of each other.
2 of the slips are within 2/1000ths of a second of each other.
This is on a manual transmission equipped car.
Is this a coincidence?
I think not.
BTW my suspension is setp for roadracing not drag racing.
Old 3/23/07, 08:09 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by metroplex
Is that an actual correction factor or just a standard rule of thumb (like 25% for automatics)? At 16%, the TR-3650 is less efficient than the 4R70W.
Has anyone determined the actual drivetrain loss for the TR-3650 in 4th gear?
Load from the dyno, actual correction factor. What you would see on and MD, as opposed to a Dynajet. However there are ways now to use correction on Dynajet's as well depending on what model you get.
Old 3/23/07, 08:14 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by metroplex
The SCT PRP includes the same Advantage 3 software that SCT dealers are using. No programming skills are required, but a half-way decent idea of how to tune cars is required, along with an interest in learning about the "tuning" process. If you can use a mouse to click through some items, you can use the SCT PRP to load the proper air transfer function for your CAI kit. I've been using the SCT PRP for the past 3 years mainly to tune my Crown Vic. I'm waiting for the warranty to expire on the Stang before I perform any real mods.
It's a little harder than just loading the value files and being done. The MAF is never right from those values. I've seen it for NA as much as 8% lean fuel. For blower.... nearly 55% lean.

CR
Old 3/23/07, 08:15 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Thanks! With a 16% correction, 270 rwhp is actually closer to 321 fwhp, which is very good for a bone stock S197 GT.
Old 3/23/07, 08:20 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by TillmanSpeed
It's a little harder than just loading the value files and being done. The MAF is never right from those values. I've seen it for NA as much as 8% lean fuel. For blower.... nearly 55% lean.
CR
There are wideband O2s that the PRP users can use to monitor AFR and tweak the transfer function accordingly but it involves access to a chassis dyno, or a long stretch of road

Luckily I used the Marauder airbox and MAF on my Vic, so I just imported the factory air transfer function (which is now included in the value files that SCT supplies). My LTFT looks to be no more than 5%-7% (which is not the same as logging wideband O2 readings in closed loop on a chassis dyno), well within the factory spec of +/- 20% for that model year.
Old 3/23/07, 08:49 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by thump_rrr
If you don't know how to drive that's your problem.
Hang on a minute there Captain 1/4 mile...

Before you found an excuse to post your proud timesheet, remember that the discussion was over the "stock" HP rating of a Mustang GT.

CR from TillmanSpeed has also stated that there is a 16% loss from the flywheel to the wheels. So even if (according to what you said) the average Mustang is at 264 RWHP that is still 314HP at the flywheel with a 16% loss. My estimate of 317HP for a manual trans is not far off.

I don't know why I'm looking at your 1/4 mile time sheet. My post was to show the horsepower gains from a Steeda CAI (that's what this thread is about) with Ford Racing's pro-cal tune vs. a custom tune.

If you don't believe in dyno numbers that's your problem, but I see no point in your post (except) to flash us your 1/4 mile times.

~Ray
Old 3/23/07, 08:59 AM
Cobra Member

peaceful discussion :)

hi everyone...

lets keep the PEACEFUL steeda cai/90mm elbow discussion going

everyone has the right to own opinions

thanks very much everyone!
Old 3/23/07, 09:08 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by DynamicmustangGT
Not sure the size on the diameter but I have found some at jegs, check under superchargers but don't go car specific, and they have back ones up to 3.0" which seems about right. maybe not though but they have different sizes there
Thanks for the pointer! Maybe I'll take the plunge, measure the connectors, and find the best match at jegs.
Old 3/23/07, 10:05 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by sycd
Thanks for the pointer! Maybe I'll take the plunge, measure the connectors, and find the best match at jegs.
for the two its going to be around $23 it's not that bad, They also have other silcone hoses but I didn't see anything in black, also try napa or autozone, they usually stock ricer cai's and probably have the parts

Quick Reply: Steeda cai 90mm elbow and TUNE