GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Steeda cai 90mm elbow and TUNE

Search this Thread

Old 3/21/07, 12:18 PM
Meet Krissy, Our Star Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Dave, nothing personal against the Steeda tunes but I can honestly say from personal experience there's a very huge difference in both throttle response and overall performance in which all of Doug's programs are dyno tested and custom written exclusively just for your car and for whatever mods you've installed plus if you decide to further upgrade your mods that require any additional tunning ? Doug will also upgrade your tuning files as well where on the other hand, the Steeda tunes are considered more as canned tunes and are written for multiple vehicles and unlike Doug's programs ?
Hey - informative response ...I'm curious though because aren't most of Doug's customers out of driving distance so tunes are mailed, right? So how can tunes be custom made on a dyno without the car? I'm honestly just asking the questions because I always ask lots of questions. It just seems like he must take a base car's stats and factor in the mods used...thus creating at least some form of a 'canned tune', no? Does he dyno test all the combinations of mods with people's cars in the area or something? I'm just confused.
Old 3/21/07, 12:45 PM
Former Vendor

Basically you can take local cars to R&D what tunes work best, and then incorporate the variables into the mail order customers tunes. This allows for the tune to be VERY CLOSE to correct AFR, etc. Most people will be within 1.-.3 AFR, and then can go to a local dyno, get their AFR printout and have minor adjustments to be 100%. Sometimes you can even work it out with your end user adjustability.
Old 3/21/07, 02:10 PM
Cobra Member

hi Tillman,

do you find Steeda cai/90mm elbow/TUNE more reliable and less issues?

or are all the other pretty much the same with the right tune?

thanks!
Old 3/21/07, 04:59 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,125 Likes on 1,706 Posts
Originally Posted by metroplex
The C&L Racer's air transfer function indicates it has much more potential than the Steeda 90mm CAI's transfer function. That doesn't necessarily mean you will grab more ponies out of the C&L Racer, but it does mean the C&L Racer is an excellent buy.
Metroplex, although your correct about the C&L air transfer function having more potential over the Steeda..However on a N/A 3v application anything over 90mm. in diameter is more airflow that what the stock 3v is capable of using and is considered as overkill..On the other hand, the larger 95mm. C&L racer intake would be best suited for forced induction applications that require larger amounts of airflow..
Old 3/21/07, 05:14 PM
Cobra R Member

I'm going out to the garage right now to do a test fit of my steeda cai and elbow right now
Old 3/21/07, 05:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Metroplex, although your correct about the C&L air transfer function having more potential over the Steeda..However on a N/A 3v application anything over 90mm. in diameter is more airflow that what the stock 3v is capable of using and is considered as overkill..On the other hand, the larger 95mm. C&L racer intake would be best suited for forced induction applications that require larger amounts of airflow..
It's $299 and doesn't reduce your hp/tq. I'd say it is the best deal there is, plus it can accommodate a blower in the future. According to some of the SCT tuners and C&L, the Racer CAI doesn't hurt the performance of a N/A 4.6 3V V8 motor so I don't see what the problem is. As long as the air transfer function is dialed in correctly, it will be safe and good to go. William Clay Ford himself could have made a cold air intake for the S197 and if the air transfer function is totally off, it won't be safe to use without a proper tune.
Old 3/21/07, 07:34 PM
Bullitt Member

dave_bought_another_black_stang's Avatar

Dave, nothing personal .....
Thanks for the feedback. ******* my steeda equip is personal...KIDDING....Honestly though, I know that Doug has a great product / service as I have seen multiple people rave about the tunes he does. I guess I am looking for what parameters on the tune itself are different. I was at steeda when I bought the tune/tuner. They incorporated having an auto into the tune as well as exhaust. I am sure Doug's tune would be a sound investment, but if changing shift points in the tune would help, I would like to try that myself first.
Old 3/21/07, 08:56 PM
Cobra R Member

that took like 12mins tops to get everything out, everything in and hooked up minus the tune. Except I had to run to lowes before the closed, there were 2 mini clamps and the small 5/8" tube missing, cost me $2.85, I went with the better tubing, and ha to buy a ft.
Old 3/21/07, 09:14 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by YaoNYC
hi Tillman,

do you find Steeda cai/90mm elbow/TUNE more reliable and less issues?

or are all the other pretty much the same with the right tune?

thanks!
I found it just as reliable as any other CAI/Tune out there. It makes a great deal of power, and is right up there with the JLT/C&L setups. They're all within a few HP of each other.

CR
Old 3/21/07, 09:21 PM

It's $299 and doesn't reduce your hp/tq. I'd say it is the best deal there is, plus it can accommodate a blower in the future. According to some of the SCT tuners and C&L, the Racer CAI doesn't hurt the performance of a N/A 4.6 3V V8 motor so I don't see what the problem is. As long as the air transfer function is dialed in correctly, it will be safe and good to go. William Clay Ford himself could have made a cold air intake for the S197 and if the air transfer function is totally off, it won't be safe to use without a proper tune.
I never said it reduces hp/tq.. all I'm pointing out is that according to both Doug from bamachips and Brent from brenspeed, the larger 95mm C&L racer intake didn't provide any additional hp/tq nor performance over the smaller 83mm C&L street intake on the N/A 4.6 3v engine.. However on the other hand, it did provide additional hp/tq on a super charged 4.6 3v motor and although I realize how important a role the air transfer function plays ? It's the proper tune that really deserves most of the credit for providing the additional performance gains as the majority of cold air intakes pretty much provide similar hp/tq results within 1-3 hp difference give or take Is the C&L racer intake a good bargin at $299.00 ? of course it is there's no denying that but the Steeda intake is also a great bargin which also includes the X-CAL II programmer at $624.00 from Brenspeed and if you also include the X-CAL tuner combo with the C&L racer intake ? he offers that package at $599.00 which is pretty much within the same price range anyhow..Therefore IMHO ? both intakes are top quality products.. Plus the Steeda intake can also accommodate a blower as well..
Old 3/21/07, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by dave_bought_another_black_stang
Thanks for the feedback. ******* my steeda equip is personal...KIDDING....Honestly though, I know that Doug has a great product / service as I have seen multiple people rave about the tunes he does. I guess I am looking for what parameters on the tune itself are different. I was at steeda when I bought the tune/tuner. They incorporated having an auto into the tune as well as exhaust. I am sure Doug's tune would be a sound investment, but if changing shift points in the tune would help, I would like to try that myself first.
All I can tell you is.. I've had both Steeda tune files and Bamachip's tune files and as I previously mentioned, there's a very huge difference in just throttle response alone over the Steeda tune files in which Doug's programs get rid of that dreaded throttle lag in addition to providing better HP and Torque..However, the throttle lag continued to be a very annoying issue with the Steeda program files which was my reason for making the switch over to Bamachips and I personally couldn't be any happier...As for the how the parameters are different compared from Doug's tunes to those from other's ? that's a question you would far be better off asking him as he's the tuning expert..
Old 3/21/07, 11:05 PM
GT Member

All I can tell you is.. I've had both Steeda tune files and Bamachip's tune files and as I previously mentioned, there's a very huge difference in just throttle response alone over the Steeda tune files in which Doug's programs get rid of that dreaded throttle lag in addition to providing better HP and Torque..However, the throttle lag continued to be a very annoying issue with the Steeda program files which was my reason for making the switch over to Bamachips and I personally couldn't be any happier...As for the how the parameters are different compared from Doug's tunes to those from other's ? that's a question you would far be better off asking him as he's the tuning expert..
Is the Steeda tune the same as the FRPP tune? Does it come with that little black plastic ProCal, or an SCT? The FRPP tune also has most of the factory throttle lag. I also have a Brenspeed tune for that intake, and there's a big different between the two.
Old 3/21/07, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Rondosa
Hey - informative response ...I'm curious though because aren't most of Doug's customers out of driving distance so tunes are mailed, right? So how can tunes be custom made on a dyno without the car? I'm honestly just asking the questions because I always ask lots of questions. It just seems like he must take a base car's stats and factor in the mods used...thus creating at least some form of a 'canned tune', no? Does he dyno test all the combinations of mods with people's cars in the area or something? I'm just confused.
Kristina, first my apologies for causing any confusion and for not going far enough into detail but everything CR from TillmanSpeed mentioned was right on the money..As for Doug's tunes ? although their considered as mail order custom tunes, their still never the less custom tune files written by an authorized SCT dealer in which he writes them exclusively for your Mustang's 4 digit calibration code located just below the fuse box in the engine compartment which tells him your PCM info and then he also writes your program files based upon the info you provide him such as your car's axle code, mod list and so on..so yes in that respect your absolutely correct about taking your car's base stats and mods factored in but then again, all custom tune files are based upon those factors..Where on the other hand, a preloaded X-CAL II such as the 9415-A programmer ? is considered a canned tuner with SCT base tune files which are written for multiple vehicles..However being that Paul from meister@steeda.ca wrote your program files exclusively for your Mustang ? you have exactly the same type of mail order custom program files that Doug would write up for you...Therefore you do not have base nor canned SCT program files otherwise you would still notice that dreaded throttle lag left over from the stock tune files and this I know from personal experience which was my reason for switching over to Doug's tunes...and If I'm not mistaken, isn't Paul also an SCT/Steeda authorized dealer ? Anyway I hope some of this clears up any confusion from my previous post and explains in more detail the difference between a preloaded SCT based canned tune/programmer and a custom mail order tune from an authorized SCT dealer..
Old 3/22/07, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by SteelTownStang
Nice response Rocky... +1. When I saw this "post", I knew that you'd be the guy who could provide to scoop. Hey, where's the PENS' Love? Sabres...???
Hey Pat, although I've been a Pittsburgh resident for over 25 years now..I'm originally from Buffalo, NY in which I grew up as both a Sabres and Bills fan and have remained ever since, plus I still have close family ties there as well but anyhow whenever the Sabres and Bills aren't playing ? I've also followed the Pens and Steelers through the years as well, especially before satellite TV became available lol. and whenever the Pens don't end up playing against the Sabres ? I've always wished them nothing but success and the very best of luck
Old 3/22/07, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by sycd
Is the Steeda tune the same as the FRPP tune? Does it come with that little black plastic ProCal, or an SCT? The FRPP tune also has most of the factory throttle lag. I also have a Brenspeed tune for that intake, and there's a big different between the two.
Well the answer to that question is both YES and NO..Steeda also has a preloaded SCT X-CAL II 9415-ST programmer which pretty much has the base SCT program files that are an improvement over the stock tune files and also somewhat better than that generic black plastic ProCalTool..However it's never the less still a canned SCT programmer which doesn't do anything to get rid of that dreaded throttle lag and doesn't even come close to providing the same amount of increased throttle response as the custom tuned 9400 X-CAL II that you have from Brenspeed..So yes there's definitely a very huge difference in which I've experienced first hand.. Therefore I would not recommend the FRPP ProCalTool nor the SCT canned 9415-ST Steeda programmer..
Old 3/22/07, 03:01 AM
Legacy TMS Member

The C&L Racer is the least restrictive CAI from what I can see. The whole purpose in replacing the stock airbox is to get rid of the so-called "restriction".

I don't need the Predator/X-Cal 2/Diablo tuner combo because I have the SCT PRP, which makes the $299 C&L Racer CAI the best deal of all. Every other kit was above $300, and the C&L Racer gives the most leeway when it comes to future upgrades. Buying multiple tuners is a waste of money IMHO, and could have been spent buying the SCT PRP if you're serious about modding.
Old 3/22/07, 04:47 AM

I own both the C&L Street and Racer intakes and I have also installed the Steeda 90mm on a friends car.

I cannot give you dyno numbers on any setup other than the one I ran for the only 1 time I put my car on the dyno.

The car had the C&L Street intake along with JBA Longtube Headers, Catted H-Pipe, Meziere H2O pump, Steeda U/D Crank Pulley, Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel, and FRPP 4.10 gears. The car was running a Diablosport C&L 93 octane tune which had no adjustments made for the headers. The figures were 308.9/308.2 with the motor up to temperature.

According to C&L there is no performance gain between the Street and Racer intakes on an N/A car however in taking off from a stop after idling the car for more than several minutes, such as in drag racing the Racer has a distinct advantage.
It takes a lot longer to cool a 4lb. inlet tube as opposed to a 1lb. inlet tube.

Steeda has taken care of its only weakness by introducing the new elbow.
The performance difference between the C&L and the Steeda are now indistinguishable

Old 3/22/07, 05:03 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I like the options afforded by the C&L Racer CAI. If you want to go *****-out with an aggressive blower setup, you know the C&L Racer will handle it. If you stick with a naturally aspirated engine, the C&L Racer won't hurt performance either. I'd rather buy 1 CAI kit than buy 2 CAI kits further down the road.
Old 3/22/07, 07:06 AM
Cobra Member

im probably going to never get a blower...

so...steeda is strong consideration...

but they all seem to work great..
Old 3/22/07, 07:21 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The C&L Racer is the least restrictive CAI from what I can see. The whole purpose in replacing the stock airbox is to get rid of the so-called "restriction".

I don't need the Predator/X-Cal 2/Diablo tuner combo because I have the SCT PRP, which makes the $299 C&L Racer CAI the best deal of all. Every other kit was above $300, and the C&L Racer gives the most leeway when it comes to future upgrades. Buying multiple tuners is a waste of money IMHO, and could have been spent buying the SCT PRP if you're serious about modding.
Hey! metro, I'm I reading this correctly? are you really going to dump your factory cold air intake!....I've read many posts where you avidly argued against aftermarket CAI's do to what you felt was inadequate air filtration.........Giving in?......getting a thirst for some more HP?.......

Quick Reply: Steeda cai 90mm elbow and TUNE