GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Steeda cai 90mm elbow and TUNE

Search this Thread

Old 3/20/07, 08:09 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steeda cai 90mm elbow and TUNE

hi there..

anyone getting good results from Steeda intake/90mm elbow and tune?

what rwhp/rwtq results are you seeing?

Any automatic stangs?

Im asking about steeda cause they have a strong partnership with Ford.

thanks!
Old 3/20/07, 08:31 PM
Meet Krissy, Our Star Racer

i dyno'd at ~290hp at the rear wheels with the steeda CAI and tune, and that's without the elbow as i got it before they came out. strong driving performance and throttle response...love it.
Attached Thumbnails Steeda cai 90mm elbow and TUNE-dyno.jpg  
Old 3/20/07, 08:46 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Rondosa
i dyno'd at ~290hp at the rear wheels with the steeda CAI and tune, and that's without the elbow as i got it before they came out. strong driving performance and throttle response...love it.
thanks Rondosa!
those are great numbers!

steeda cai and 90mm elbow is interesting because steeda is so closely aligned with Ford.

please tell me more about the steeda.ca tune. that is also very interesting!
Old 3/20/07, 08:55 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,143 Likes on 1,723 Posts
Originally Posted by YaoNYC
hi there..

anyone getting good results from Steeda intake/90mm elbow and tune?

what rwhp/rwtq results are you seeing?

Any automatic stangs?

Im asking about steeda cause they have a strong partnership with Ford.

thanks!
Not only do they have a very strong partnership with Ford ? but if the Steeda/FRPP intake package is purchased and installed through your local Ford dealer ? it's now also included under the Ford Racing Performance Parts warranty although I wouldn't recommend their calibration programmer over an X-CAL II but still in all at least it's nice to know that the Steeda intake will not void your factory warranty
Old 3/20/07, 09:05 PM

thanks Rondosa!
those are great numbers!

steeda cai and 90mm elbow is interesting because steeda is so closely aligned with Ford.

please tell me more about the steeda.ca tune. that is also very interesting!
oops, wrong response
Old 3/20/07, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Rondosa
WOW Kristina those are the best results I've seen with the Steeda intake yet especially for a Mustang Dyno..Now I really can't wait until Mike from Powerhouse Automotive dyno tests my Bamachip's tunes...
Old 3/20/07, 09:24 PM
Bullitt Member

dave_bought_another_black_stang's Avatar

I have an auto tranny and also have the steeda cai/sct/xcal II tune without the elbow. The throttle response DRAMATICALLY increased with this setup. I am soon ordering the elbow. I always hear how good Doug's AutoTune is great, but what are the specific differences in his tune and steeda's tune? What specific parameters are different?
Old 3/20/07, 09:24 PM
Former Vendor

Very decent numbers!

I'm curious what our Steeda tune would pull....

CR
Old 3/20/07, 09:52 PM
Cobra R Member

Hey CR feel free to send em a free tuner and I can test it out for you, the cai and elbow will be here on thursday
Old 3/20/07, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by dave_bought_another_black_stang
I have an auto tranny and also have the steeda cai/sct/xcal II tune without the elbow. The throttle response DRAMATICALLY increased with this setup. I am soon ordering the elbow. I always hear how good Doug's AutoTune is great, but what are the specific differences in his tune and steeda's tune? What specific parameters are different?
Dave, nothing personal against the Steeda tunes but I can honestly say from personal experience there's a very huge difference in both throttle response and overall performance in which all of Doug's programs are dyno tested and custom written exclusively just for your car and for whatever mods you've installed plus if you decide to further upgrade your mods that require any additional tunning ? Doug will also upgrade your tuning files as well where on the other hand, the Steeda tunes are considered more as canned tunes and are written for multiple vehicles and unlike Doug's programs ? an SCT canned tune file also does not get rid of that dreaded throttle lag left over from the stock Ford tuning files..So to answer your questions those are the specific differences and parameters between Doug's program files and those from Steeda's which are exactly the same program files as what you'll find in the SCT canned tuner know as the X-CAL II Strategy Flash 9415-ST programmer...and btw everything you've heard about Doug's auto tunes are also true and you won't be in the least bit disappointed either..You can always shoot him an e-mail or contact him by phone...his web address is www.bamachips.com once there just look for the contact us tab and you'll find his phone number located there and if you prefer to contact him by e-mail ? he can also be reached at BamaChips@gmail.com. he'll be more than glad to answer any of your questions...and best of luck to you
Old 3/21/07, 05:02 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
The C&L Racer CAI looks more impressive than the Steeda's 90mm CAI kit.
Old 3/21/07, 06:42 AM
Cobra Member

perhaps true, C&L seems to give a few more HP, but its interesting that Steeda is so closely aligned with ford. not sure if that makes any difference but i guess some piece of mind in this mod.

but if steeda cai and elbow is 1-3hp off, than that is pretty good...
Old 3/21/07, 06:47 AM
Legacy TMS Member

It's a cold air intake. As long as you have the right MAF air transfer function, it's good to go if you can ignore the K&N-style filter that doesn't filter as efficiently as a paper panel filter.
Old 3/21/07, 07:15 AM
Cobra Member

How is the MAF air transfer function of the Steeda compared to c&l racer?

thanks much!
Old 3/21/07, 11:11 AM
GT Member

I just had my car dynoed last weekend...(see my list of mods)

Yes, I have the Ford Racing (Steeda) 90mm CAI with the inlet elbow from Steeda and I pulled 288.75RWHP and 306torque after it was custom tuned. (I'll post my dyno results later if you want to see them).

My car only has about 2,500 miles on it so I'm thinking it still might loosen up a bit as I get closer to 5000 miles. When I spoke to Doug at Bamachips and asked if I would get more HP if I switched to a C&L "trueflow" CAI, he said the Steeda kit provides more than enough air with 90mm and I probably wouldn't make any more HP with the C&L CAI. I guess when you reach a certain point with airflow, you should then shift your attention to durability, materials used, how it looks, price...etc.

When it comes down to a 1-2 HP difference between intakes, it's the tune that makes all the difference in the world.

~Ray
Old 3/21/07, 11:22 AM
Legacy TMS Member

How is the MAF air transfer function of the Steeda compared to c&l racer?

thanks much!

The C&L Racer's air transfer function indicates it has much more potential than the Steeda 90mm CAI's transfer function. That doesn't necessarily mean you will grab more ponies out of the C&L Racer, but it does mean the C&L Racer is an excellent buy.
Old 3/21/07, 11:45 AM
Meet Krissy, Our Star Racer

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the responses, this was my first pull and the strongest. I was really very happy with the results...the weather was pretty good that day if I recall (being late September), warm but not overly hot.

I really should clarify - the tune I am running is not "custom" (I can't change my sig becuase it's too long to go through with the new rules!!), it's a 'canned' tune that Paul Meister @ steeda.ca wrote. My tune has not been modified on the dyno for my car at all, although I'm certain I could make more power if I decide to go that route later. I have three from him, an 89, 91 and 94 Octane tune for the CAI intake on my car, and use an XCALII.

The tune, as with most, gives better throttle response and makes the car really great to drive - feels like it can breathe! And now, obviously, it puts down great power too. Also, I should point out that I haven't noticed the lag on throttle release as many have described, although I did notice it when stock. I also have a feeling the workers at AAI built me a good one the day she was made hehe

If anyone is interested, www.steeda.ca or email meister@steeda.ca or PM me. Not knocking others that write tunes at all, It's just that since I already knew Paul before I bought my mustang, and was familiar with the shop (30 mins from me) I went with them instead and have been really happy.

Kristina
Old 3/21/07, 11:55 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Dave, nothing personal against the Steeda tunes but I can honestly say from personal experience there's a very huge difference in both throttle response and overall performance in which all of Doug's programs are dyno tested and custom written exclusively just for your car and for whatever mods you've installed plus if you decide to further upgrade your mods that require any additional tunning ? Doug will also upgrade your tuning files as well where on the other hand, the Steeda tunes are considered more as canned tunes and are written for multiple vehicles and unlike Doug's programs ? an SCT canned tune file also does not get rid of that dreaded throttle lag left over from the stock Ford tuning files..So to answer your questions those are the specific differences and parameters between Doug's program files and those from Steeda's which are exactly the same program files as what you'll find in the SCT canned tuner know as the X-CAL II Strategy Flash 9415-ST programmer...and btw everything you've heard about Doug's auto tunes are also true and you won't be in the least bit disappointed either..You can always shoot him an e-mail or contact him by phone...his web address is www.bamachips.com once there just look for the contact us tab and you'll find his phone number located there and if you prefer to contact him by e-mail ? he can also be reached at BamaChips@gmail.com. he'll be more than glad to answer any of your questions...and best of luck to you
Nice response Rocky... +1. When I saw this "post", I knew that you'd be the guy who could provide to scoop. Hey, where's the PENS' Love? Sabres...???
Old 3/21/07, 12:03 PM
Cobra Member

ok..
so it seems like steeda cai/90mm and others are about the same....its up to the TUNE to make the difference....

so...is it safe to say that STEEDA will be more reliable since STEEDA is so aligned with Ford?
Old 3/21/07, 12:06 PM
Legacy TMS Member

As long as the air transfer function is dead-on, the rest of the tune is moot. If Steeda's shared technologies program with Ford gives your heart a warm feeling, go with their CAI. If it were my choice, I'd look at the most bang for the buck in a high quality package: the C&L Racer. Then again, I'd stick with stock because the paper panel filters do a much better job of protecting the engine.

Quick Reply: Steeda cai 90mm elbow and TUNE