GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Steeda Bilet LCA - what a PITA install.

Search this Thread

Old 8/31/08, 02:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steeda Bilet LCA - what a PITA install.

Hello,

I was installing Steeda Bilet LCA this Saturday and that was PITA to torque the bolts – unbelievable I had to use jack to torque it for factory spec 129 ftlb = 174 nm.
An now I am a bit confused if they are really ok. Look below picture how the black urethane gasket is smashed. It is going out side about 3mm.

I am looking TacoBill install that I go follow – looking his final pictures and I do not see that gasket looks like mine - they are in the line with billet arm end (see picture).

Did I use to much torque – the torque key is wrong – that what I was thinking but then I said hey wait a moment the billet arm has a metal muff inside where the bolt is going through (see picture) and when mounting metal bracket will touch it both sides that is the only way to get 129 ft-lb. So if aluminum ring is going outside the metal muff the urethane black gasket have to be smashed with such force as 129 ft-lb. Or should not – no it is not so hard rubber.

So now a question the metal muff inside was to short – steeda mistake?? Or it is ok?
Do you guys which have installed Steeda billet LCA have the same looking black smashed gaskets like mine?

p.s And yes I installed them good way steeda logo looking outside and is on the bottom of the arm.
Old 8/31/08, 05:19 PM

I am not sure what the torque is but the metal sleeve in the middle of the bushing is suppose to keep it from crushing the bushing so I am going to say it will be ok. By the way, they look good.
Old 8/31/08, 10:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by almoststock05gt
I am not sure what the torque is but the metal sleeve in the middle of the bushing is suppose to keep it from crushing the bushing so I am going to say it will be ok. By the way, they look good.
Thanks. Should be ok I will inspect that regularly for crushing.
I am still thinking that the metal sleeve in the middle of the bushing was too short from a side of bigger aluminum ring, about 1 mm - comparing to tacobill one - that is why urethane bushing is smashed so much.
Any way still waiting on the other Steeda Bilet LCA users and information about their bushings and if they are looking the same as mine.

Maybe I will send tech question to Steeda to see what they are thinking about it.

Last edited by seabiscuit; 8/31/08 at 10:50 PM.
Old 9/1/08, 06:45 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Nope, that's normal. 129 ft/lbs is what you're supposed to torque to. My J&M bushings also bulged a bit too.
Old 9/1/08, 06:04 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Strange. If the torque wrench setting was verified correct (not over 129 lbs ft), I would contact Steeda tech support to verify the issue that you're having is normal and acceptable.
Old 9/2/08, 03:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Answer from Steeda:
"These bushings were overtightened. We can send you new bushings but only once. If it happens again you will have to purchase new bushings.
The bushings will be squeezed at 129 ft/lbswhen tightened but the amount of compression is in the 0.010” range and that amount of compression wouldn’t cause them to balloon out like that. The length of the sleeve is correct."

I need to send my torque wrench for calibration then
Anyway I really appreciate that Steeda will send me a new set of bushings for free that is really nice of them – good company.

Last edited by seabiscuit; 9/2/08 at 03:53 PM.