GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

State Inspections and Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 8/4/07, 12:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
And why don't you do the same Scott ? At least somebody in these forums actually gives a rat's a$$, when it comes to insulting another member's integrity..

Rocky,
I just took the high road! You don't know what you speak of young man!!
Old 8/4/07, 12:38 PM
SUPERCHARGED RED ROCKET ------------------Master-Moderator

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,790 Posts
Originally Posted by Bullitt995
Ok, I'm going to calmly, and constructively explain.

1. I know what you were refering to, every state has two inspections for metro areas. It's not a special thing for PA.

2. Rear 02 sensors are not turned off on a car that only has a CAI. Turning off rear 02's only happens when cars have LT (the rear 02's aren't even there). Even further, turned off rear 02's will not cause a car to fail. They look to see if you have any outstanding OBDII codes. No codes? Pass.

I get the same scan here in Texas. I went in to a shop that had been busted recently for selling illegal stickers so it was under supervision by the state (definatly not going to cut me any slack). Car has long tubes, nitrous, obviously tuned, etc...

Passed with flying colors. I even had illegal tint on my car and I still passed the safety inspection.
That's absolute once again... As Doug turns off the rear 02 sensors on all his program tunes, unless the customer requests otherwise...And if you choose not to accept that? Then you're more than welcome to ask Doug yourself and perhaps in Texas, all they look for are OBDII codes, but here in PA! they still also use sniffers in addition to scanning the OBDII..Therefore, if the sniff test fails? then so does the car, it's as plain and simple as that... And btw: Doug will also confirm that his program tunes aren't designed for passing emission requirements, as well...

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 9/17/23 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Revised Text
Old 8/4/07, 12:42 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And why don't you do the same Scott ? At least somebody in these forums actually gives a rat's a$$, when it comes to insulting another member's integrity..
Scott's OK Rocky. I editted the content that I'm pretty sure Scott was referring to.
Old 8/4/07, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
Rocky,
I just took the high road! You don't know what you speak of young man!!
So just what was that remark of taking the high road meant for then? As for young man is concerned, well if you consider 49 as being some youngster or something? then I don't know what else to tell you... However, just as ROBK!!! I will not condone anybody that comes into this forum and insults another member's intelligence, regardless of whatever their reasons may happen to be...Therefore, if you wish to consider this as not knowing what I speak of? then so be it, Scott!

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 9/17/23 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Revised Text
Old 8/4/07, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by RobK
Scott's OK Rocky. I editted the content that I'm pretty sure Scott was referring to.
Then apparantly, he didn't read all it Rob, especially the quote in which I was referring to certain members, insulting other forum members' integrity..
Old 8/4/07, 01:08 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You guys need to go have a beer and relax. Name calling isn't a good thing and is never going to give anyone a good feeling about the person who posted it. Just remember that opinions are like a-holes and everyone has one, some are just bigger than others. JMO~
Old 8/4/07, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by GRAYPNY
You guys need to go have a beer and relax. Name calling isn't a good thing and is never going to give anyone a good feeling about the person who posted it. Just remember that opinions are like a-holes and everyone has one, some are just bigger than others. JMO~
I couldn't agree more, Rich... So why is it that certain members have to resort to such tactics, in the first place? First of all, ROBK is absolutely correct! It doesn't accomplish a d@mn thing, other than discourage people from posting who may be trying to reach out to others who really depend on them for support the most in which is this not the main purpose for these forums to begin with

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 9/17/23 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Revised Text
Old 8/4/07, 01:33 PM

back on topic

I'm going to selfishly try to get this thread back on topic. Here in North Cackalacky we have a safety and Emissions (OBDII) inspection. Here were my results that got me a "Not Ready Rejection"

Misfire - Ready
Fuel System - Ready
Comprehensive Component - Ready
Catalyst - Not ready
Heated catalyst - not available
Evaporative system - Ready
Secondary Air System - not available
A/C System - not available
O2 Sensor - Not ready
O2 sensor heater - Not ready
EGR System - Not available

I don't know what all those mean but I do know that if you get more than one "not ready" your car is rejected. It doesn't fail but you don't get your sticker.

Like I said earlier I'm running a JLTII CAI and Doug's 93 Race Tune.

I'm wondering if I can load the factory tune w/o changing the CAI for the 15 mile round trip for inspection. What does everyone think?

Can Doug "fix" my tune so it passes? I wonder what that would do to performance? Obviously a question for Doug.

My gut feeling is that I should restore to stock for the inspection. PIA.
Old 8/4/07, 02:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ElSupremo
I'm going to selfishly try to get this thread back on topic. Here in North Cackalacky we have a safety and Emissions (OBDII) inspection. Here were my results that got me a "Not Ready Rejection"

Misfire - Ready
Fuel System - Ready
Comprehensive Component - Ready
Catalyst - Not ready
Heated catalyst - not available
Evaporative system - Ready
Secondary Air System - not available
A/C System - not available
O2 Sensor - Not ready
O2 sensor heater - Not ready
EGR System - Not available

I don't know what all those mean but I do know that if you get more than one "not ready" your car is rejected. It doesn't fail but you don't get your sticker.

Like I said earlier I'm running a JLTII CAI and Doug's 93 Race Tune.

I'm wondering if I can load the factory tune w/o changing the CAI for the 15 mile round trip for inspection. What does everyone think?

Can Doug "fix" my tune so it passes? I wonder what that would do to performance? Obviously a question for Doug.

My gut feeling is that I should restore to stock for the inspection. PIA.
I was told that disconnecting the battery or uploading ANY tune, including the factory tune, resets all these parameters and you need to do some driving to get them to get enough data stored for each. I don't think it's the actual tune, but the fact a tune has been uploaded and cleared all the codes. That's what I was told today when mine failed. I've driven my car very little since a tune was uploaded and apparently not enough codes had passing values...

My two cents based on what i've been told...

John
Old 8/4/07, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by jwgroovin
I was told that disconnecting the battery or uploading ANY tune, including the factory tune, resets all these parameters and you need to do some driving to get them to get enough data stored for each. I don't think it's the actual tune, but the fact a tune has been uploaded and cleared all the codes. That's what I was told today when mine failed. I've driven my car very little since a tune was uploaded and apparently not enough codes had passing values...

My two cents based on what i've been told...

John
The place where I had the inspection done said something similar. The probelm is that I uploaded the tune a few thousand miles ago.
Old 8/4/07, 02:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ElSupremo
The place where I had the inspection done said something similar. The probelm is that I uploaded the tune a few thousand miles ago.
And nearly 500 for me. I just got an email from my tuner. More as I know it:

"The car needs to run its emissions monitor tests and it most likely hasnt run them all. They arent looking for codes, they are looking for the monitor tests to complete.

If you stop in sometime I can check to see what monitors have run or have yet to run. Conditions have to be perfect for some of them to run."
Old 8/4/07, 03:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by GRAYPNY
I have had a couple and I am better now!!!! Thanks Rich
Rocky...PM sent.
Old 8/4/07, 03:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

I went thru this back in December on my car.
Doug does turn off the sensors and they will fail you here in Houston if more than 2 are showing not ready.
Here's the proof.
I hope this will help clear some things up for all.
I resolved my issue by finding a local tuner to do a custom tune and not turning off any of the sensors.

P.S.
I also found that the drive cycle on my car was very short.
I went with the tech from Ford that was checking it out and it reset at 6 miles.
Disclaimer:
That doesn't mean it is the same for all cars and driving conditions.
Attached Images  
Old 8/4/07, 04:20 PM

I have had a couple and I am better now!!!! Thanks Rich
Rocky...PM sent.
Scott, I've already replied back to your PM, and hope you'll once again accept my apologies towards my prior misunderstanding... As far as you and I are concerned, this matter has now been resolved

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 9/17/23 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Revised Text
Old 8/4/07, 04:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Scott, I've already replied back to you're PM, and hope you'll once again accept my apologies, towards my prior misunderstanding..As far as you and I are concerned ? this matter has now been resolved
Old 8/4/07, 04:51 PM

Old 8/4/07, 08:09 PM
Cobra Member

Scott, I've already replied back to you're PM, and hope you'll once again accept my apologies, towards my prior misunderstanding..As far as you and I are concerned ? this matter has now been resolved
Toldjya! It's all good.
Old 8/4/07, 09:03 PM
Bullitt Member

I have tunes from three different companies: Bamachips, Modular Depot, and Tunable Induction. With the MD and TI tunes the car feels virtually stock at less than wide open throttle. With either of Doug's tunes (Performance or Race), part throttle response is dramatically better, especially on the Race tune, and the car feels much faster and more enjoyable to drive. With the MD and TI tunes I could probably let it idle in a closed garage for half an hour and live to tell the story. With Doug's tunes the exhaust stinks to high heaven. Now I know why.
Old 8/4/07, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by RobK
Toldjya! It's all good.
It sure is Rob..
Old 8/5/07, 12:48 AM
Bullitt Member

i passed in houston with a 93 torque tune and jltII intake. have no idea what tests they ran, but the car was out of there in twenty minutes.

Quick Reply: State Inspections and Tuning