GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Spring install - How hard is it?

Search this Thread

Old 10/4/06, 08:10 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spring install - How hard is it?

I got the Eibach pro kit and am trying to decide if I should install it myself or not. The shop that painted my stripes will do it for $200 and I am comfortable with their quality of work. I would like to do it myself but worry it might be a little complicated. I assume I can rent a spring compressor from Autozone. Are there any other special tools required? Any tricks to this install? How hard of a job is this?
Old 10/4/06, 09:45 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Taco Bill did an excellent wriite up of his Ultrlite install. The rears are easy..its the front thats a little complicated. My mechanic also said he would not install my fronts unless I bought a camber kit..If it was me,I would pay someone 200.00 in a heart beat.Just not worth the aggravation IMO..Plus you know its done correctly and can take it back if there are any probs.
Old 10/4/06, 10:23 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Here's the link.

With the Eibach Pro kit, you will need a set of adjustable camber bolts.

If your install price includes an alignment, it sounds like a pretty good deal.

If you decide to do it yourself, expect to spend at least 5 hours (being that it's your first time).
Old 10/4/06, 10:24 AM
GT Member

Took about 3 hours to put my Sportline kit on.
Old 10/4/06, 10:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

its hella easy. the only thing I would do.... dont rent a spring compressor. just take the whole strut assembly to a suspension shop, and have them swap the actual springs for you. They did that for me for $30 after I spent hours trying to make a spring compressor that didnt fit work, then getting it stuck on there. lol.
Old 10/4/06, 10:34 AM
GTR Member

I knew Taco would chime in here
Old 10/4/06, 11:17 AM
GT Member

I did a spring swap with no previous experience and honestly, it really wasn't *hard*. Time consuming, yes, because I had never done it before, but it is pretty straight forward. I used Tacobills write up(thanks bill!) as a guide and it went well. Backs are easy, fronts are a bit tougher. If you can find a shop near you that will compress the spring and swap it out, thats the way to go. I had to do it myself because the shops around here wanted 1 hour labor for a 10 min job so I said screw it and rented a spring compressor.

All in all I am glad I did it myself
Old 10/4/06, 11:26 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Mellow Yellow
I did a spring swap with no previous experience and honestly, it really wasn't *hard*. Time consuming, yes, because I had never done it before, but it is pretty straight forward. I used Tacobills write up(thanks bill!) as a guide and it went well. Backs are easy, fronts are a bit tougher. If you can find a shop near you that will compress the spring and swap it out, thats the way to go. I had to do it myself because the shops around here wanted 1 hour labor for a 10 min job so I said screw it and rented a spring compressor.

All in all I am glad I did it myself
All true as long as you are comfortable with your mechanical ability.
Old 10/4/06, 12:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Just curious, since these are the same springs used on the GT-H, does the GT-H have the camber bolts? I wonder how the GT-H fixes the camber issue that would exist by having the FRPP handling pack.
Old 10/4/06, 01:25 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by neil07gt
Just curious, since these are the same springs used on the GT-H, does the GT-H have the camber bolts? I wonder how the GT-H fixes the camber issue that would exist by having the FRPP handling pack.
Ford probably uses their own fix.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
camber%20adjust.pdf (22.7 KB, 171 views)
Old 10/4/06, 02:34 PM
Bullitt Member

I am curious as to a definative answer on whether you need camber bolts or not. I have seen numerous people who say you dont and numerous who say you do. What gives? Any insight into this particular topic would be appreciated.
Old 10/4/06, 02:35 PM
Bullitt Member

The price your shop quoted sounds OK. If you are really into your car and have any mechanical abilities you should do it yourself. That way you get to "know" your car much better which is half of the fun. Renting a spring compressor is cheap and works well. There was someone on another forum who, before raising the front of his car, removed the retainer nut on the top of the strut, then jacked up the car. This allowed the spring to de-compress fully and safely while still in the car. You usually can re-install lowered springs without a compressor because they are short enough that you can start the retainer nut.