GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Spacer HP?

Search this Thread

Old 8/17/07, 06:22 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 65sohc
Furthermore, even if the spacer did impart some swirl to the air between the throttlebody and the head, how could it possibly survive its way past the relatively tiny openings of the partially open CMCP's and the intake valves, which is the only situation in which a gain in fuel mileage could be observed.
What I want to know is if you run the spacer with out the CMCV's then what? That's exactly what I'm running now, but unfortunately I don't live near a tuner or a dyno. Sorry for the tease...I'm taking the spacer off this weekend for a planned trip to the dealer next month. CMCV's will come off next weekend (so I can put the stock airbox back on and flash the ECM back to stock).

I will let you know if I notice any throttle lag return or noticible power loss.
Old 8/17/07, 06:41 PM
FR500 Member

It's a $55-$90 placebo.

Hey, that's not a slam... the placebo effect is a valid psychological phenomena.
Old 8/21/07, 06:15 PM
Team Mustang Source

I took the TB spacer off this weekend. As much as I would like to be the contrarian and state that I noticed a negative difference with it off, I can't.

The combination of a TB spacer and CMCV deletes is not a good one. I feel that I have more (eh, 5-10 ft. lbs) low RPM torque without the spacer than with it on.

I had a notorious problem of bogging in first from a red light at low rpm in slow traffic, especially with the A/C on. With the TB spacer off, I no longer have that problem.

So my experience says don't buy the TB spacer and save the clams for CMCV delete plates instead (don't forget to buy a tuner first if you need it).

I should add that if I lived closer to a dyno tuner, I could probably have it custom tuned and ***maybe*** see a benefit out the TB spacer, but since I don't and can only go by SOTP, that's my .02 cents.
Old 8/21/07, 06:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Anonimac
<Apply flame suit> OK, so i got the C&L Street CAI with the no tune option FOR NOW. I will tune when my warranty expires. I'm hoping the CAI opens up my exhaust a bit and if i do see a few extra horses in the mean time (until the tune) i can't say i'll be upset. </Apply flame suit>

I was just curious if i could squeeze a bit more out of it with this spacer stuff until i get a tune.

I have the C&L no tune insert with NO tune and a definate increase in power and exhaust sounds so sweet, you'll like it
Old 8/25/07, 10:36 PM
Bullitt Member

I got rid of my Steeda TBS and added one from Edelbrock.
The Edelbrock TBS adds an honest 100 HP. WHEN IT'S GOT NTROUS AND FUEL PUMPING THROUGH IT!

Old 8/27/07, 12:45 AM
Cobra Member

I also have never heard about any HP gains but I think someone on here said that they got a 2-3 mpg increase. If this is true it might be worth it just for that because of the gas prices these days. If anyone knows anything about this please post.
Old 8/27/07, 07:07 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Sharky
I got rid of my Steeda TBS and added one from Edelbrock.
The Edelbrock TBS adds an honest 100 HP. WHEN IT'S GOT NTROUS AND FUEL PUMPING THROUGH IT!

Now THAT'S a t/b spacer!!!
Old 8/27/07, 08:05 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 302svt
I also have never heard about any HP gains but I think someone on here said that they got a 2-3 mpg increase. If this is true it might be worth it just for that because of the gas prices these days. If anyone knows anything about this please post.
Agreed....if spacer didn't CAUSE additional problems but did increase my MPG some i would definitely still get it.
Old 8/27/07, 09:47 AM
Bullitt Member

I added the GT500 TB with aspacer to make it fit the stock manifold and didnt get any extra MPG and really didnt notice any more power either....so still wouldnt say the spacer will get you 2-3 MPG.
Old 8/27/07, 01:23 PM
Team Mustang Source

2-3 MPG is about 10% of the Hwy est mileage. You can lose or gain 10% MPG easily just by how you drive the car, TB spacer or not. Long-term, I did not see any significant gains in MPG with the spacer.
Old 8/27/07, 09:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 302svt
For some reason "2-3 mpg" is enough to make people spring for an otherwise dubious product whereas 1-2 mpg is not. Apparently a 2-3 mpg claim is modest enough so that it does not sound unreasonable yet great enough to seem like it will "pay for itself." In the end it defies the laws of nature and doesn't do squat, but the cost is not worth fighting over for most people. Hence the purveyors sell them by the thousands with few returns. (See "Tornados, fuel line magnets, Fitch Catalysts, vapor injectors, etc., etc.) BTW, I installed a hydrogen generator on my pre-Mustang BMW Z4. The result: 0 mpg change. That one actually sounded feasible, ie. free auxilliary fuel.
Old 8/28/07, 11:05 AM
Bullitt Member

This silly throttle body spacer is in the same category as the "Turbonator" and the "Vitalizer". I was suprised at how long this thread has continued. I guess people want a cheap power / mpg gadget so bad they talk themselves into beleiving it even when there is NO scientific evidence to validate it. Another thing to consider is with all the pressure on car manufacturers to get fuel economy numbers lower if there was a simple and cheap device that could be added to every car that would improve mileage they'd already be doing it.
Old 8/28/07, 12:01 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im not buying one. there is not enough proof out there for me to justify it. plus its like a 100 clams? i would rather adjust my driving for 2-3 mpg rather than pop out a hundred bucks.