GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Something weird happening after mods

Search this Thread

Old 9/20/07, 04:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Something weird happening after mods

My brother and I put my JLI II and charge motions plates in last weekend. Easist mod I've done so far. Everything was on in a little over an hour. I'm very impressed with the tunes from Doug at Bamachips. I've only been running the racing tune, my throttle lag is virtually gone. I haven't really had the chance to open her up yet. One thing that I noticed though is that when I start my car it revs up to 2,000 rpm and holds it there for a bit and the slowly drops down to 1,000 rpm, after I drive for a short while it will drop to 800 rpm. It used to rev a lil high at first when I started up and dropped to 800, but it never revved up to 2,000 before. Is this normal?
Old 9/20/07, 04:28 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How much oil was on the filter?
Old 9/20/07, 05:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Chilliwack 42
My brother and I put my JLI II and charge motions plates in last weekend. Easist mod I've done so far. Everything was on in a little over an hour. I'm very impressed with the tunes from Doug at Bamachips. I've only been running the racing tune, my throttle lag is virtually gone. I haven't really had the chance to open her up yet. One thing that I noticed though is that when I start my car it revs up to 2,000 rpm and holds it there for a bit and the slowly drops down to 1,000 rpm, after I drive for a short while it will drop to 800 rpm. It used to rev a lil high at first when I started up and dropped to 800, but it never revved up to 2,000 before. Is this normal?

This is exactly what my car did after I installed my plates. I got a tune from Brenspeed that helped it somewhat, but it still hasn't gone away completely.. my car now starts up and shoots to around 1200 rpm for a couple of seconds and then drops to normal.
Old 9/20/07, 05:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That is very common with CMDPs. I have run 3 different tuner's CMDP tunes and they all do it.
Old 9/20/07, 05:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
How much oil was on the filter?
the filter was pre oiled, I doubt that would have an effect on it, it did it from the getgo after the mods mine used to rev around 1,200 before which I heard was pretty normal.
Old 9/21/07, 07:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Common problem with the plates, aftermarket throttle bodies, and even cams. The canned tunes that come from Bama and others are somewhat generic to address the mass market, and since each car is slightly different--a shop that can do custom tunes can help adjust the tables for cold start spikes in rpm like this. He simply hooked up his laptop the morning after the cam install, watched what was happening with the numbers during startup, and made adjustments. Problem is the "fix" works well on mornings that are close to the temperature the day he fixed it. Warmer or colder mornings I sometimes get a recurrence of the spike in rpm. Nuisance at this point...

John
Old 9/21/07, 07:45 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine shoots up to around 2K and I don't have anything but a CAI and a generic SCT tune.
Old 9/21/07, 08:03 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
My bone stock 07 GT does that when it is cold outside. In the winter it has gone up to about 2000 RPM and kept it there awhile longer. In the summer, it goes up to 1500 RPM and rapidly drops to 1000 RPM.
Old 9/21/07, 09:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Cleaning the throttle body went A LONG way towards fixing my idle spikes.
Old 9/21/07, 04:23 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Sharky
Cleaning the throttle body went A LONG way towards fixing my idle spikes.
That's why I was asking about the filter. I've had them come soaked in too much oil. That getting stuck on the TB could contribute to those idle problems. As far as the deletes - no experience here...
Old 9/21/07, 05:01 PM
Cobra R Member

Well this is pretty similar too what happened to me when I first put his tune on way back when. I told him and he said it was something with the sct software. He sent me new tunes, and have never had the problem since, so it might be worth your while to give him a ring, could be the same thing. But I figured that would have been worked out by now. good luck