GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Showing off by burning rubber?

Search this Thread

Old 7/22/05, 12:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want to make a few videos with friends and want to burn some rubber and be crazy at a closed airport area near my house . Besides stomping on the brakes and gas at the same time, what else can i do to smoke 'em a little and to have fun? What do you guys do to have fun? Donuts? Burnouts? I know we "automatic" guys are limited, but surely there has to be SOME stuff?! Revving in Neutral and dropping into Drive?

BTW- Ive heard the N to D really screws transmission, and the brake/gas at the same time damages brakes...is this true?
Old 7/22/05, 01:07 AM

:nono: Do NOT do a neutral drop, trannies are expensive. Yes holding the brakes and and gassing it are hard on the rear brakes, but brake pads are a lot cheaper than transmissions are. The only "correct" way to do a burnout without ruining anything other than tires is by getting a Line-lock. If you doin't know what a line-lock is, it's a solenoid installed in line between your master cylinder and front brakes. You step on the brakes, push a button and the solenoid closes and won't let the brake fluid back by, locking the front brakes. Then you release the pedal with the button still pushed and voila, no rear brakes engaged BURNOUTS GALORE
Old 7/22/05, 01:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

Turn the wheel left or right all the way and stomp that bad boy!!!
Old 7/22/05, 03:48 AM
Cobra Member

I just did my first standing burnout last night in my auto: OD and TCS off, stomped on the break and revved up to 3000 rpm. The rear tires started spinning, the smoke started rising and at 3500 rpm I let off the break and stomped on the gas. It felt like being shot out of a gun!

P.S.: don't do a neutral drop, it will kill your tranny very quickly. Also, remember that every burnout will cost you around $10-15 on stock tires.
Old 7/22/05, 05:46 AM
Bullitt Member

I don't think you can even do a neutral drop in modern cars anymore. I heard that the computer will cut the power to save the tranny.
Old 7/22/05, 10:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've posted this before, but I'll repeat it.

I had to experiment a little. The best results have been to turn TCS off and drop it into 1st gear (or 2nd gear with 4.10s), and powerbrake it to about 2500 rpm or when the rear wheels start to break loose. As they break loose, slowly ease off the brake and roll into the throttle quickly to get them spinning and smoking, until just before the rev limiter kicks in, and hold the rpms there (say 6000).

I have found if I let off the brake too quick, the tires are not turning fast enough and it starts to hook up and just lays down a long patch of rubber... no smoke. If I let off the brake too slow, nothing happens at all. At first, it took me about 3 or 4 tries to get it just right.

Click here for a video of one of my first tries at it (still with 3.31 gears). I've gotten better since then (especially at the track).

Also, with 4.10s, it works better in 2nd gear for me.
Old 7/22/05, 02:22 PM
Bullitt Member

get the c&l intake with the sct 2 and tune from alternative auto. after the install i can smoke my tire with no problem.
Old 7/22/05, 03:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by tx2005gt@July 22, 2005, 2:25 PM
get the c&l intake with the sct 2 and tune from alternative auto. after the install i can smoke my tire with no problem.

I have an GT Vert with auto trans and C&L with Predator tune. Do you think
Diablo will ever come out with a tune for the auto trans like the AA one offered with the SCT. I AM JEALOUS AND WANT IT!!!!!!!!
Scott
Old 7/22/05, 03:45 PM
Bullitt Member

sell the diablo & get the sct 2 from alternative auto. you will not be dissapointed. you can burn rubber from a start, chirp your tires between 1-2 and 2-3.
Old 7/22/05, 04:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by tx2005gt@July 22, 2005, 3:48 PM
sell the diablo & get the sct 2 from alternative auto. you will not be dissapointed. you can burn rubber from a start, chirp your tires between 1-2 and 2-3.

Wanta buy a Predator???
Old 7/22/05, 04:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

When you guys say get the tune and the sct2 and intake, how will this help me "burn rubber?" If i floor it, it burns?
Old 7/23/05, 08:09 AM
Cobra Member

Pour bleach on the ground, we used to do that in high school to get some smokey burnouts very easily. Not sure how safe it is on your cars finish or tires though.

I've done one smokey burnout power braking it, it spun very easily and I rolled off the brakes and stomped the gas, left a set of 20-30 foot rails in front of work. I felt guilty afterwards but was cool anyway. Done a couple smaller ones just to show off.

I had an old 76 sunbird I bought for 50 bucks right after high school, little car with a V-6, I used to do the nuetral drop until I discovered the reverse drop, works alot better. I'd get it going in reverse and slam it into drive with gas mashed to the floor, hehe good times. Not something you want to do to a car you want to keep however :P
Old 7/23/05, 06:30 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by nynvolt@July 23, 2005, 8:12 AM
Pour bleach on the ground, we used to do that in high school to get some smokey burnouts very easily. Not sure how safe it is on your cars finish or tires though.

I've done one smokey burnout power braking it, it spun very easily and I rolled off the brakes and stomped the gas, left a set of 20-30 foot rails in front of work. I felt guilty afterwards but was cool anyway. Done a couple smaller ones just to show off.

I had an old 76 sunbird I bought for 50 bucks right after high school, little car with a V-6, I used to do the nuetral drop until I discovered the reverse drop, works alot better. I'd get it going in reverse and slam it into drive with gas mashed to the floor, hehe good times. Not something you want to do to a car you want to keep however :P
Yup, probably the easiest on the car if you are just looking for a video, water, a little transmission fluid anything that will reduce traction a little.

We did it on my 71 aircraft carrier, I mean mustang flatback, sorry sportsroof when the engine was too bagged to even chirp the tires pulling away from a light with a 3 speed manual. Got some great pictures of smokey burnouts on a car that wouldn't do them without help

Of course when we replaced the engine it didn't need any help then I sold it to the Navy.