GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Should I just get new over axle pipes?

Search this Thread

Old 5/23/08, 09:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I just get new over axle pipes?

Ahhhh, where do I start? Ok, back when I had my JBA axle backs put on, they had to be welded because of fitment problems......pass. side was hanging low and stuck further out than drivers side and the clamps would not hold. Anyhow, the muffler shop ended up welding the clamp to the overaxle pipe. My question is, do I try to salvage the pipes and attempt to grind off (I assume that is what you would do) the welding bead, or just get a new set of over axle pipe and be done with it. The reason for all of this is that I'm going to be putting on a set of LT and changing the mufflers (again). Any ideas on the best way to remove the bead would be most appreciated also.
Thanks,
Mark
Old 5/24/08, 06:38 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
sawzall. Than buy this setup http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=467464
Old 5/24/08, 07:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

hmmmm, so I guess you're saying just replace the entire pipe?
I followed the link and it's a very good price considering it includes the mufflers and OA pipes. My only concern would be if the pipes are exact replacements for the OE pipe or are made to fit the Granatelli mufflers (slightly shorter, different bend at the end, etc) I already have a different replacement muffler that I want to use, I just want to make sure these pipes would work out for me. Thanks for you help
Old 5/24/08, 10:35 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Buy the Borla Stinger Cat Back setup.

http://borla.com/applications/lookup...essive/140135/
Old 5/26/08, 10:00 PM
Cobra R Member

I have the borla cat back system, along with their headers and x-pipe and it sounds amazing!!!
Old 5/30/08, 03:07 PM
GT Member

I just went through a VERY similiar orderal with my JBA axel-backs... My neighbor is friggin McGuiver of metal fabrication, so he was able to spread the pipes after being clamped to the proper size. He's also cutting 1.75" out of the tailpipes to bring them closer to the bumper so we can re-install on my wife's '07 vert.

...but I HATED the JBA axelbacks once the LT headers and O/R h-pipe were installed.

Try Magnaflow's cat-back system. They include new over-axel 2nd intermediate pipes (if that makes any sense, considering we have 4-part systems now).
Old 6/1/08, 12:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

mark, i just went through something similar.

it would depend on how well, he welded the muffler to the pipe. if it is only a few tacks, then you could just get someone to grind those off without damaging the pipes. however, if the weld goes all the way around the perimeter, it may be easier just to buy another kit that comes with the pipe.
Old 6/1/08, 07:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Sounds like you've got some great advice here Mark, but I have a question... is Scott rubbing off on you???
Old 6/1/08, 11:03 PM
Bullitt Member

If you're looking to replace the over axle pipes, Motoblue is the only company that sells them without having to purchase axleback mufflers with them. The only problem is that rpmoutlet.com is the only online company (that I could find) that sells them and alot of people have had bad experiences with them. If anyone else knows of any other companies, I'm sure they will post them. Here's the link if you're interested. They're located halfway down the page.

http://www.rpmoutlet.com/05gtmgp.htm

Last edited by STANG_IT; 6/1/08 at 11:04 PM.
Old 6/2/08, 08:12 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by STANG_IT
If you're looking to replace the over axle pipes, Motoblue is the only company that sells them without having to purchase axleback mufflers with them. The only problem is that rpmoutlet.com is the only online company (that I could find) that sells them and alot of people have had bad experiences with them. If anyone else knows of any other companies, I'm sure they will post them. Here's the link if you're interested. They're located halfway down the page.

Great Info
Old 6/2/08, 08:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by PenguinGT
I just went through a VERY similiar orderal with my JBA axel-backs... My neighbor is friggin McGuiver of metal fabrication, so he was able to spread the pipes after being clamped to the proper size. He's also cutting 1.75" out of the tailpipes to bring them closer to the bumper so we can re-install on my wife's '07 vert.

...but I HATED the JBA axelbacks once the LT headers and O/R h-pipe were installed.

Try Magnaflow's cat-back system. They include new over-axel 2nd intermediate pipes (if that makes any sense, considering we have 4-part systems now).
Problem with that is I already have a set of the Magnaflow mufflers and don't want to spend the extra money for another set of them just to get the pipes. It appears that I can't get just the pipes from Magnaflow either

Originally Posted by sound wave
mark, i just went through something similar.

it would depend on how well, he welded the muffler to the pipe. if it is only a few tacks, then you could just get someone to grind those off without damaging the pipes. however, if the weld goes all the way around the perimeter, it may be easier just to buy another kit that comes with the pipe.
He didn't weld all the way around it in one continuous bead, but didn't just tack weld it either. I supposed for all intents and purposes I should consider it a full weld in that even though it's not continuous, it still connects about 3/4 of the surface area

Originally Posted by EastCoast07GtCs
Sounds like you've got some great advice here Mark, but I have a question... is Scott rubbing off on you???
Yes, definitely great advice. Many thanks to everyone!!
Is Scott rubbing off on me? you ask?
Do ya think???? LOL

Thanks, I had found that site and seriously considered purchasing those. The things that scare me are that I'm not sure of how these will fit (I can't find anyone who had them installed on their mustangs) and what problems I'll have with that company (RPM outlet) since they aren't getting stellar reviews in the CS area.

I may just purchase another set of factory pipes and not give myself headaches over this. Though I will still be wondering if by getting those, slightly flattened over axle pipes, I will not be getting the same performance as the ones that arent squeezed over the axle Here I go again

Last edited by GTMark052; 6/2/08 at 08:17 AM.
Old 6/2/08, 01:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hey Mark... I have a set of stockers in the attic you can have if you want to pay boxing and shipping charges. I'll never use them again. And if I am rubbing off on you ..I'm sorry. Could cost you a lot more money.
Old 6/2/08, 02:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thank you for the offer Scott....PM sent
Old 6/2/08, 03:29 PM
Legacy TMS Member

PM back to you Mark. You may want to check with a dealer first and make sure my 05 pipes will fit your 07 car. Mine is also an auto and I think yours is a manual. I don't know if they are the same. We need to check it out. I bet they will but we should be sure first.
Scott

Last edited by 70MACH1OWNER; 6/2/08 at 03:31 PM.
Old 6/2/08, 03:39 PM
V6 Member

+1

I have these pipes, and guess what? They're made by Pypes for Rpmoutlet! They fit great and are mandrel bent. They're a bargain at $100.
Old 6/2/08, 03:53 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by bacnblak
+1

I have these pipes, and guess what? They're made by Pypes for Rpmoutlet! They fit great and are mandrel bent. They're a bargain at $100.
Might need to check these out further Mark. Hard to beat $100 bucks shipped. And I have purchased 3 different items from PPM outlet in the past with no issues. But that is just my experience.
Scott

Last edited by 70MACH1OWNER; 6/2/08 at 03:56 PM.
Old 6/3/08, 05:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks bacnblak! I had questions in my mind about the fitting since I couldn't find anyone who had purchased those aftermarket pipes. Then to top it off, that vendor doesn't appear to have that great of a reputation. I had read quite a few posts during my search and found that a lot of motoblue exhaust products are made by Pypes, but not all. I was also a little hesitant since the Pypes website doesn't offer these "over axle only" pipes.
At any rate, you've convinced me and I'll cross my fingers and give it a shot and order a set from them.

You're absolutely right Scott, that price is hard to beat. Even the cheapest price I could find on the net for the stock over axles was just a little less than $100 but for only 1 pipe!!! Thanks for all of your help
Old 6/18/08, 11:06 AM
Big Falken Tires

Originally Posted by GTMark052
Thanks bacnblak! I had questions in my mind about the fitting since I couldn't find anyone who had purchased those aftermarket pipes. Then to top it off, that vendor doesn't appear to have that great of a reputation. I had read quite a few posts during my search and found that a lot of motoblue exhaust products are made by Pypes, but not all. I was also a little hesitant since the Pypes website doesn't offer these "over axle only" pipes.
At any rate, you've convinced me and I'll cross my fingers and give it a shot and order a set from them.

You're absolutely right Scott, that price is hard to beat. Even the cheapest price I could find on the net for the stock over axles was just a little less than $100 but for only 1 pipe!!! Thanks for all of your help
Just curious man - did you ever end up getting these and install?....
Old 6/18/08, 11:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

Yes, I had purchased these through RPM outlet (No problems, btw) and they arrived in a few days shipped from Pypes, but I have not installed them. The problem I have now is that I'm selling everything (Lt headers ) that was initially the catalyst for me to want to purchase these to begin with. With the longtubes I was going to switch back to a set of magnaflows mufflers. Since my JBA's are welded to the stock over axle pipe I needed new OA pipes for the magnaflows, etc. I'm going to keep these OA pipes for a while and hopefully will be able to utilize them in the not too distant future, but right now, it's still a little ways off.