GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Shoul I or Shouldn't I - Another CAI question.

Search this Thread

Old 6/13/05, 06:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question for everybody. I have a GT, but I don't have a bunch of money for mods. I don't plan on doing anything more than adding a CAI and possibly a new exhaust. I have read all the topics and I am beginning to like the K&N. Now I see that you can get the K&N alone or with a Predator. I'm not going to do anything else with the engine other than the CAI. I'm happy using the 87 octane gas. The car runs and sounds good as is. Would it make sense for me to get the K&N/Predator kit dor $500 or just stick with the K&N by itself for half the cost? I'm new to modding cars and don't plan on racing anyone. I get enough thumbs up and positive comments on the look and sound as is.

2nd question.... Any problems with the K&N without a tune?

Thanks in advance for all comments.
Old 6/13/05, 06:50 PM

If you want to open up to a new world with that car, you'll love having a tune in the car. It really wakes up. If you're looking to just add a little to it, stick with just the CAI.
Old 6/13/05, 08:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by KenP@June 13, 2005, 6:50 PM
Question for everybody. I have a GT, but I don't have a bunch of money for mods. I don't plan on doing anything more than adding a CAI and possibly a new exhaust. I have read all the topics and I am beginning to like the K&N. Now I see that you can get the K&N alone or with a Predator. I'm not going to do anything else with the engine other than the CAI. I'm happy using the 87 octane gas. The car runs and sounds good as is. Would it make sense for me to get the K&N/Predator kit dor $500 or just stick with the K&N by itself for half the cost? I'm new to modding cars and don't plan on racing anyone. I get enough thumbs up and positive comments on the look and sound as is.

2nd question.... Any problems with the K&N without a tune?
Thanks in advance for all comments.
Well, my thoughts are similar to yours. I'm pretty well satisfied with stock performance and sound. However, I wouldn't mine having a little more seat of the pants performance and deeper throaty sound without much if any drone.

No doubt, for real performance increases, a Tune is a must. Along with a Tune, then higher octane fuel (91-93 octane) will be necessary - making the daily drives more expensive, then the tune computer and possibly some dyno time.

If I was going to buy something today, I think I would go with the K&N CAI and not doing a tune (continue using 87 octane fuel). I contacted K&N, they assured me No Tune is required. Music to my ears, I'm not ready for CEL issues/problems and warranty hassles. For better exhaust sound, I would go with the American Thunder Axle Backs.

I've about decided to hold off on performance mods and let the bugs (if any) get worked out of the products and maybe the prices to come down some. As more products make it to market, competition should help these matters.

With all that being said, I'm pursuing exterior cosmetic mods. I've ordered the RK Sport California Dream Hood, planning to paint my spoiler black, add black rear blackout vinyl between the tail light area and some type of black side stripes like on the Steeda Mustang or the 03-04 Mach 1 Mustang - the stripes fade out gradually. I have a Satin Silver GT, so I've chosen to use black accents.

Any way, that's my opinion. But I would imagine their's a ton of folks to dis agree or have different opinions. In the end, do what makes you happy, it's your car.
Old 6/14/05, 07:24 AM
Bullitt Member

A tune makes a HUGE difference in these cars it is money well spent you almost cannot believe the difference in the feel.
Old 6/14/05, 07:40 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Get the tune. It is the quickest way to get some more power and gives you some pretty cool features as well for future mods.
Old 6/14/05, 08:01 AM
Team Mustang Source

had the K&N on for about 650 miles with no tune, sounds great and no problems, def feel a power difference!!! I am happy without the tune and may do the substitute of the JET Performance Module, instead of playing with the ECU.
Old 6/14/05, 08:01 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by mlcrisis@June 13, 2005, 8:18 PM

No doubt, for real performance increases, a Tune is a must. Along with a Tune, then higher octane fuel (91-93 octane) will be necessary - making the daily drives more expensive, then the tune computer and possibly some dyno time.
This is not true! There are 87 octane tunes that will still provide a lot more performance than the overly rich stock tune! In fact, from what I've seen, the differences between the 87 and 91/93 performance tunes are minor. The major advantage of the tune is getting the air/fuel ratio to something reasonable, instead of the pig rich tune Ford gives it at the factory.

Here's the bonus: A lot of people get better mileage after a tune, because you are dumping less fuel into the cylinders on each stroke. win/win!

Old 6/14/05, 09:21 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by adrenalin@June 14, 2005, 9:43 AM
Get the tune. It is the quickest way to get some more power and gives you some pretty cool features as well for future mods.

I agree with Adrenalin....tune it but leave it stock. Wait until you're through with your warranty for real bolt on mods. The mods will be perfected by that time and you'll be eager for more power. 36,000 miles is not that long to wait!!! Be patient and make the most out of stock.
Old 6/14/05, 09:46 AM
Bullitt Member

Great, thanks for all the input. I'm a bit ignorant when it comes to the tune. K&N does not have a tune for the SCT or Predator so I am assuming I would use one of the "canned" tunes that comes with the tuner. Is there a big difference between the Predator and the SCT's or is it pretty much a personal preference? What tunes come with each model? I am going to go the K&N route and the RPM Outlet deal with the Predator and K&N look like a great deal.

Like I said...Im almost cluless when it comes to this sort of thing. I can follow directions and pull things apart and mount parts, but the tuning part kind of concerns me.
Old 6/16/05, 11:34 PM
Bullitt Member

I took some time to think about my dilemma. Then I went out and ordered the K&N/Predator combo from RPM Outlet. Hope I made the right decision. I dont know if my bank account can take much more. I have this purchase on the way, Roush Louvers should be finished today, and stripes next week. I'm done modding for awhile.
Old 6/17/05, 09:27 AM
Bullitt Member

KenP,

You made the right choice in getting the Predator along with your intake. I think you'll find that it will add as much "Oomph" to your engine as the intake will. Have fun!
Old 6/17/05, 09:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Exclamation

Originally posted by KenP@June 16, 2005, 11:37 PM
I took some time to think about my dilemma. Then I went out and ordered the K&N/Predator combo from RPM Outlet. Hope I made the right decision. I dont know if my bank account can take much more. I have this purchase on the way, Roush Louvers should be finished today, and stripes next week. I'm done modding for awhile.

Hey Ken...

I got the same setup from them. Putting it in on Saturday. I also got the SLP Loudmouths at the same time ($244). Very nice sound.

Like you, I am doing minor mods until my warranty runs out. I figure the tune, K&N CAI, and the loudmouths are all I need for now.
..er...Paxton Blower must resist...I must resist....

Now, I can get my BOSS stripes, 69' Cobra jet hood scoop (found a guy who makes 281 badges like the 69 ones), black chin spoiler, honeycomb taillight panel, paint rear spoiler black....and I have my own "Boss 281"

Jay
Old 6/17/05, 11:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Go for it. If you just get the K and N your going to see the power diff. and then want more and more and more and more and more.... see how it works modding is addictive. Well with that said maby you shouldnt do anything to it.
Old 6/17/05, 11:47 AM

just installed my K&N and Predator kit the other day. Well worth the money IMO you can really feel a difference and I even went with the 87 tune.
Old 6/18/05, 09:28 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks everybody. Just got the tracking number from RPM Outlet so the package is on the way. Hope to have it up and running next week. Picked up my car yesterday with the louvers installed. Some people don't like the Roush ones, but I like the squared, aggressive look. I have set up my appointment for stripes next week. New personalized plates are due soon as well. Most combos were taken so I settled with RETRO 68. After all the Mustang has that going back to the '60's look, and '68 was the year of my birth.
Old 6/18/05, 09:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Lime05owner@June 17, 2005, 8:55 AM
(found a guy who makes 281 badges like the 69 ones

Would you mind telling us where you found these badges? Have any pictures?