GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

shifter installation cost

Search this Thread

Old 8/1/07, 08:42 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jmanpatsfan
Is it the general consensus here that MGW is better than Steeda Tri-Ax?
YES IMHO
Old 8/1/07, 08:44 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by TacoBill
What if you try and succeed?

Seriously, take a look at all the hand tools used for the job and make sure you have them.

To test your mechanical ability, take apart the center console down to the shifter. If you did it without braking anything, congratulations! All you have left are 6 fasteners under the car and 4 cap screws to tighten on the shifter handle bracket and you're done.
I'm with Bill you might surprise yourself. If you did the axle back exhaust you can doe the MGW. Get a friend to lend support

You Can Do IT
Old 8/1/07, 11:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

You know what guys, I think I am going to try it. I just remembered that I have a mechanically skilled friend (albeit not a mustang guy). I shall give him a call. Thanks everyone for the confidence booster. If anything goes wrong, I hold TMS fully accountable....JK JK
Old 8/1/07, 11:33 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
You know what guys, I think I am going to try it. I just remembered that I have a mechanically skilled friend (albeit not a mustang guy) who is mechanically skilled. I shall give him a call. Thanks everyone for the confidence booster. If anything goes wrong, I hold TMS fully accountable....JK JK
Good for you. It really isn't that hard, it just takes some patience with it since you won't be dropping the drive shaft. The only things I ever really did on my cars where oil changes. Did some spark plugs on my old cars when I first got my license but that's it. I got under there and did my Tri-Ax myself with Steeda's instructions which where...ehhhh, so. so. 8k miles later and it's still perfect.

**** I have all the pics from that install...still need to make the "How-To"
Old 8/1/07, 12:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
I sold my Tri Ax and got an MGW. Took a $$$ loss but WTH... The MGW shifter is the bomb, I am GLAD I got it!!! It's like a whole new car.

GET THE MGW.

Great product, MGW customer service second to none, and Taco Bill's instructions make a winning combination.
Old 8/1/07, 12:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

it seems a little disconcerning the way the shifter moves to the middle so much after shifting to first and fifth (as far as what i can see in videos)
Old 8/1/07, 02:56 PM
MGW
Former Vendor

it seems a little disconcerning the way the shifter moves to the middle so much after shifting to first and fifth (as far as what i can see in videos)

you are just seeing the actual tranny arm connecting to your transmission going back to rest which has nothing to do with the shifter at all. the reason you do not see it so much with the stock shifter is that the stock shifter does not have a reutrn spring in the shifter so it had no side load on it.

regards
george
Old 8/1/07, 03:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Don't worry about that. This shifter makes all the rest look really bad once you've tried it. George is the ONLY guy that actually makes an aftermarket shifter for these cars that put some real thought into the design. My triax is long gone. It was in my son's '05 after I had it then he fell asleep at 60mph and totalled the car. We went to the junk lot to remove all of his performance goodies and put the stock crap back on and we decided to let the triax stay with the heap. We even put his stock suspension springs back on, but left the triax. His replacement '05 stang has the stocker in it and will soon have an MGW.
Old 8/1/07, 03:54 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Make sure you have a 10mm deep socket - that's the only thing that required me making a trip to Lowes.
Old 8/1/07, 05:22 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by goldenpony
Not just "yes" - but "hell yes".
Why have you tried both?
Old 8/1/07, 08:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

how is the shift bezel removed?
Old 8/1/07, 08:45 PM
Cobra Member

how is the shift bezel removed?
Jason, you can do this and all you need is to take your time, go slow, have a buddy to help from a moral support standpoint as well as extra hand.

As far as how to just follow Bills MGW How to Install step by step instructions.

You will find these instructions to be the best and they are actually included on a CD with the MGW shifter package you will receive from MGW.

You really can do this and when you are done you will find that this wasn't all that bad and you are much more gifted then you thought you were.

Just let us know how it goes................
Old 8/1/07, 09:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by dustindu4
Why have you tried both?
I'm pretty sure he has. No comparison, period. It's taken me a month or 2 just to allow myself to loosen up a bit and let the MGW shifter do what it does. I was getting frustrated with the triax's ability to shift properly at 6k rpm's with 500 hp to the wheels and I have over a million miles manny tranny driving experience. I've just recently had the ***** enough to try a full-on pedal to the metal speed shift into 3rd gear and it is smooth as hell. After hitting 3rd at about 6300 R's the *** end of the car was just fishtailing out of control from keeping the boost up I had to let off a bit to keep the speed climbing and the car under control. The fact is, the triax just didn't get it done and had me shying away from driving the car the way I have always driven stick cars. I'm glad I'm over that BS.
Old 8/2/07, 10:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

Wow, all this talk about how easy it is has motivated me to get on my installation. I've had my MGW for a while now but haven't gotten around to the install. Maybe Saturday!
Old 8/2/07, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Phorty
Wow, all this talk about how easy it is has motivated me to get on my installation. I've had my MGW for a while now but haven't gotten around to the install. Maybe Saturday!
Do it asap - you wont regret it.
I have personally driven S197's with a Hurst, Steeda Triax and Pro 5.0.
After driving all of them I had planned to buy the Pro 5.0.
I held off for a while after seeing the threads on the MGW.
After seeing so many reviews I bought one without trying it out.
I was blown away with not only the packaging but the piece itself.
I've now got 4000 miles on mine and couldn't be happier.
Old 8/2/07, 03:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
after a year of trying to convience myself that the hurst was the best thing out there, continuing to miss third and telling myself that the white ball was cool, im ready to try some of the others. it certainly will not be the first thing i've replaced for something better. MGW, i'll give it a try
Old 8/2/07, 05:21 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by wallace
after a year of trying to convience myself that the hurst was the best thing out there, continuing to miss third and telling myself that the white ball was cool, im ready to try some of the others. it certainly will not be the first thing i've replaced for something better. MGW, i'll give it a try
And you can even get a white or black ball to install with the MGW. I did the Black Hurst Ball.

Old 8/2/07, 07:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by philster2003
And you can even get a white or black ball to install with the MGW. I did the Black Hurst Ball.
That is EXACTLY what I will do.
Old 8/2/07, 08:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I like my Tri-Ax but I have to say..all this MGW chatter had peaked my curiosity.
Old 8/7/07, 07:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

I think I am going to hold off on the shifter for a while, probably until next summer. There are a few other projects I want to get done first. I will revive this thread when I decide to do it.

Quick Reply: shifter installation cost