Old 5/10/06, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mikem
Hey dave<I now am running your old Waterpump Pulley.I hope it wont be bad luck
It won't be bad luck, but it was my "first hit of crack."
Old 10/15/06, 09:32 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I resurrect this thread from the dead to let you guys know I have the brace up for sale in the For Sale forum. I now have a Pro5.0 and it's time for me to pass on the communal TMS shifter brace to the next willing recipient. I gave MTAS first crack at it, but he declined, so it's up for grabs. $50 shipped anywhere USA, paypal preferred. PM me for my Paypal address.

Pictures up in the For Sale post.
Old 10/15/06, 11:11 AM
Cobra Member

You guys are right. It soes look a little agricultural. I see PHP have dropped thier price a buck?

BuzzyStang05 - so does the Pro5.0 cure all the ills of the factory shifter arrangement? No notchyness or synchro drag?

I have looked at all the different designs for our Mustang, and the only thing I see that sets any apart from the others is more high tech CNC machining, different materials, etc., andadjustable stops. Beyond that it looks to be the same mechanical solution Ford dumped on us (other than the PHP brace patch which certainly stands out there).
Old 10/15/06, 01:21 PM
GT Member

For poop's sake, will somebody PLEASE post a picture of the brace installed?????? AAHHHHhhh!

Or at least some kind of hand-scrawled drawing of how it mounts- it's a very interesting mod, but I still don't get how it mounts up to the shifter.

Many thanks!

I'm on a mission to get this car to shift faster.
Old 10/15/06, 01:57 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by helicfii
For poop's sake, will somebody PLEASE post a picture of the brace installed?????? AAHHHHhhh!

Or at least some kind of hand-scrawled drawing of how it mounts- it's a very interesting mod, but I still don't get how it mounts up to the shifter.

Many thanks!

I'm on a mission to get this car to shift faster.
Go to his post in the parts for sale section. Several photo's there to give you an idea what this part looks like. Someone with a good mandel tube bender, expecially CNC controlled could bang out a much nicer part. PHP just used some square tubing, bent it here and there ...
Old 10/15/06, 02:18 PM
GT Member

Yeah, I saw the brace on his site, I'm just trying to figure out how it makes any difference. If part of it bolts to the trans tunnel, then it's going to move with torque changes, along with with everything else, right? A drawing or posting the instructions might help. I just don't see what that thing is going to improve....
Old 10/15/06, 09:06 PM
Cobra Member

Yeah, I saw the brace on his site, I'm just trying to figure out how it makes any difference. If part of it bolts to the trans tunnel, then it's going to move with torque changes, along with with everything else, right? A drawing or posting the instructions might help. I just don't see what that thing is going to improve....
What this brace is doing (or trying to) is creating a rigid link between the transmission case and the end of the shifter frame. That rigidity is dependent on how well that clamp on the end of the brace is anchored to the end of the shifter frame, but it any event it (almost) triangulates the whole set up. I suppose the rear shifter mount was left as a security blanket (or?), as technically you should not need it any more. With the brace in place, the end of the shifter bracket is going to want to follow the transmission case movement rather than stick with the body (which is a soft mount). If there is room to run another brace from the other side of the transmission case, then this installation would really have the shifter movement really locked down. It sounds like the front bushes are still in place which still leaves a tiny bit of softness in the whole set up, but that bar in place is going to make the end of the shifter bracket much more rigid with respect to the tail shaft than any of the other designs ... which in terms of the mounting arrangement are only slightly different than the factory set up.
Old 10/16/06, 02:04 PM
Team Mustang Source

Looks like I opened up a can of worms on this part again...

Helicfii, I have photos of it installed in the for sale thread here.

Yeah, the PHP brace looks like some left over wrought iron fencing bent with a hammer - real high tech. But it does make a difference you can feel.

As for the Pro5.0 - best attempt yet at getting the shifter perfect. I have tweaked a few things with the bushings and what not to get it to my liking, but it does make the tranny quieter and the shifts tons smoother than anything I've tried before. You don't have to fight/pause for the synchros anymore, you just push right through them.

Is the 5.0 overpriced? Maybe...Is it shifter Utopia? Not quite, but pretty close. Is there any other alternative that is better/cheaper? IMO, no. The Saleen adapter is a great bang for the buck, I still highly recommend it for the budget minded. The Saleen adapter actually has shorter throws than the 5.0, but for overall smoothness, and confidence to nail 3rd, you gotta shell out the bones for the 5.0.

Now...which one of you two are going to buy the PHP brace from me?
Old 10/16/06, 06:23 PM
Cobra Member

If I get motivated, i think I can engineer something better than that work of art PHP made ...

Thanks for asking though.
Old 10/16/06, 08:51 PM
GT Member

Thanks for the photos- I get it now!

What we really need is a new shifter design that doesn't bolt up to the tunnel, a design that does not follow the factory set-up. It wold vibrate like Hell, but you could come up with something with a beefy clamp that would attach at the output shaft housing...maybe?

For me, the jury is still out on whether this brace mod and this particular "iron fence" piece is the way I want to go....

With all the torque going through the shifter housing, I am surprised that these things aren't getting bent out of shape over time... and on that note, you would think that a firmer rear bushing would have the undesirable effect of not allowing the shifter housing to move and follow the transmission as it rototates due to torque- I wonder if Hurst ran into problems with their new billet shifter being too rigid (bending/breaking), and not being able to flex between the front mount and the rear mounts...?
Old 10/17/06, 06:28 PM
Team Mustang Source

Something like this???? Don't get your hopes up - this is a setup for completely different tranny (TKO600). Now if somebody made something like this for the Tremec...
Attached Images  
Old 10/17/06, 07:17 PM
Cobra Member

Thanks for the photos- I get it now!

What we really need is a new shifter design that doesn't bolt up to the tunnel, a design that does not follow the factory set-up. It wold vibrate like Hell, but you could come up with something with a beefy clamp that would attach at the output shaft housing...maybe?

For me, the jury is still out on whether this brace mod and this particular "iron fence" piece is the way I want to go....

With all the torque going through the shifter housing, I am surprised that these things aren't getting bent out of shape over time... and on that note, you would think that a firmer rear bushing would have the undesirable effect of not allowing the shifter housing to move and follow the transmission as it rototates due to torque- I wonder if Hurst ran into problems with their new billet shifter being too rigid (bending/breaking), and not being able to flex between the front mount and the rear mounts...?
Well I think you are about right. Something I have been wondering all along ... why even bother stiffening the rear mount ... it would only tend to make the shifter brackets life more difficult ... perhaps a hidden agenda for the Steeda shifter bracket, while looks cool, is a bit on the overkill side ... and maybe its beefier to compensate for the added stress of both mounts being stiffer.