GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Shelby GT500 KR suspension question!

Search this Thread

Old 10/31/13, 09:26 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shelby GT500 KR suspension question!

I had the suspension on my 05 GT replaced with the KR struts and shocks and Ford Motorsports lowering springs. I also have 2011 SVT GT500 18" wheels on her.. The ride quality is good and handles extremely well, my problem is when I start hitting bumps...it's very uncomfortable and hits very hard! The dealer told me it's suppose to ride hard like that.. It's getting to the point where I'm thinking of putting the stock suspension back in! My car is basically a daily driver and miss the comfort..was thinking of removing the strut tower brace and see if that helps any.? Anyone else running this suspension with any helpful tips on making it more comfortable or tolerable??
Old 11/6/13, 09:22 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by OneCoolGT
I had the suspension on my 05 GT replaced with the KR struts and shocks and Ford Motorsports lowering springs. I also have 2011 SVT GT500 18" wheels on her.. The ride quality is good and handles extremely well, my problem is when I start hitting bumps...it's very uncomfortable and hits very hard! The dealer told me it's suppose to ride hard like that.. It's getting to the point where I'm thinking of putting the stock suspension back in! My car is basically a daily driver and miss the comfort..was thinking of removing the strut tower brace and see if that helps any.? Anyone else running this suspension with any helpful tips on making it more comfortable or tolerable??
Are the springs KR springs?

If you have different springs paired with different shocks then you may be bottoming out since the shock and strut need to be relatively close in comparison.

If you have KR springs and shocks then maybe you should just go back to the stock suspension.

I had the KR Springs/Shocks on my Shelby on 20" wheels and it rode somewhat rougher than stock, but not anywhere near as bad as say the FRPP suspension pack. (My buddy has that)

I found the suspension to be nearly perfect, but it is rougher than stock.

On my GT I wanted to go with the same suspension, but I couldn't find it anymore so I went with the SVTPP suspension (2011 to 2012 I believe GT500) and I like that VERY much.

It's not as harsh as the KR suspension, but it doesn't lower the car as much. I wanted the rear lowered a tad more, but my car is a daily driver as well so I don't mind it as much.
Old 11/6/13, 08:50 PM
GT Member

I couldn't use the KR springs because of the weight difference, car sat too high in the front.. They are regular lowering springs for the GT. I'm really considering putting the stock suspension back in because of the rough ride..
Old 11/7/13, 07:07 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by OneCoolGT
I couldn't use the KR springs because of the weight difference, car sat too high in the front.. They are regular lowering springs for the GT. I'm really considering putting the stock suspension back in because of the rough ride..
Oh ok, well it may be that your shock is just bottoming out with those springs as they are lower than the KR springs. So if you got some different shocks that "may" help, but even with different shocks I know the FRPP springs do run rough compared to stock.