GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Shaftmasters Inc is here to answer your driveshaft related questions

Search this Thread

Old 12/5/07, 04:20 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you guys need an automatic to test, mine's available, with only a couple of mods done!! I'm in S.E. Michigan.
Old 12/5/07, 05:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by tom281
OK well let me know, it would be a test on a supercharged GT.....

You snooze you loose guys. Don't try and jump in on my deal.
Old 12/5/07, 05:57 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Yeah well, since I introduced them here so to speak: http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...ht=shaftmaster I guess I shoulda *****d myself out to them earlier....... you musta learned from Bill.

Let us know how it turns out.
Old 12/5/07, 06:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by tom281
Yeah well, since I introduced them here so to speak: http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...ht=shaftmaster I guess I shoulda *****d myself out to them earlier....... you musta learned from Bill.

Let us know how it turns out.
Looks like I'm the "shaftmaster". I learned from the best what can I say. Don't worry there will be an "official tacobill writeup" along with some vids and before/after timeslips from the track.
Old 12/6/07, 03:36 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 67 Likes on 32 Posts
I'm still very curious to the WK squared numbers on these vs steel...even the WK squared for just the stocker would be interesting to check out...

Could someone doublecheck my math from the first page as to if a SOLID 4" steel barstock x 60" shaft (thats over 200 pounds of steel) would only need 3 ftlb torque to accelerate to 4500 rpm in 14 seconds(peak hp equals only about 2 going thru the lights)?
Old 12/7/07, 07:45 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 67 Likes on 32 Posts
I have a couple more driveshaft questions-

if I recall correctly, or mustangs have one u-joint and a cv joint dont they? I'd always thought if a u-joint wasnt bending at least so many degrees the needle bearings would suffer from fretting corrosion, as they wont be rotating enough to maintain lubricant film...however if ONE u-joint runs at an angle, there are 2 accel/decel pulsations to the shaft- having 2 u-joints in phase makes this cancel out, by having the accel/decel occur only in the shaft itself, not at the pinion...but having a ujoint coupled to a cv joint would cause accelerations thru the whole system...to me the stock driveshaft looks like kinda a basic mistake, and I cant understand why ford would build such an expensive shaft- one that looks to me to be vibration prone by design...unless the u-joint is running straight but then it will be prone to bearing failure. Any ideas as to why the odd ujoint/CV combination???

also, any ideas why a center slip instead of a tranny slipyoke? either spline will have clearance, but at the end= half the runout compared to same slop in the center...or is the tranny 'not slip yoke friendly' for some reason?

We used to make the HEAVY double cardan joints for cadillac at work- was obviously a very old design as the 100' square 'Lamb' tranfer line that machined the carriers was wired with a goofy 'numa-logic' electronic control- would guess early 60's vintage, each 'and'/'or' gate was a separate freaking pcb...panel musta weighed 3 tons. I had to spend a week rewiring/programming a PLC to replace it back in the early 80's...it was like a 100 hour week...it ran up till about 5 years ago when the job finally faded away... anyway, the Caddy used double ujoints at both ends so the only accelerations are in the carriers between the paired joint- looked rediculous, but should have been effective. Does anyone else out there still use these?

lastly, what kind of tubing do you get for the aluminum shafts? we used to cut (and I mean literally) miles of tubing a day(all of GM's) up till about 4 years ago(heard it went to mexico) and the welded steel tubing sure tended to be inconsistent...usually pulled towards the welds at swaging, some days excessively, caused a lot of scrap due to runout...is the aluminum welded, or some kind of seamless extrusion? we ran some prototype NASCAR shafts a couple years ago out of seamless annealed steel tubing, and man did that stuff run straight...we lost the job (to Mexico again I heard) of cutting,swaging ,face/chamfering if you guys need any seriously high volume equipment, I think ours is up for sale: we built a custom 250 ton swage with a big GMF S-420 Karel robot loading, weld orientation, auto T.I.R. checking, Fanuc zero-C CNC controlling Continental proportional valves/amps with Newall spherosyn scale feedback...the thing ran 2 years without a single fault. We also built a pair of 4 axis(have 2 subslides for vice positioning/fast setups) face/chamfer mills- also GMF robot loaded...really sucked as it was one of the best running jobs we ever put together, yet we still lost the job to Mexico- and I really cannot see any way that any more seconds could have been removed from the cycle times we ran... NAFTA... I still dont see how even the cheapest labor rates can beat a freaking robot- makes no sense to me.
Old 12/8/07, 05:15 AM
Banned

Tim,
We use Alcoa 6061-T6 driveline tubing. It is seamless and DOM for straightness. It is not extruded because extrusion produces tubing that is no where near straight enough for driveshaft purposes.
Thanks, David
Old 12/8/07, 06:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by shaftmasters
Tim,
We use Alcoa 6061-T6 driveline tubing. It is seamless and DOM for straightness. It is not extruded because extrusion produces tubing that is no where near straight enough for driveshaft purposes.
Thanks, David
Tim,
This is Robert. I would like to add that in the last five years the re-designs of drivelines has in my opinion gotten way out of hand. The engineers are constantly changing designs that have proven to work well for years. With the advent of overdrive transmissions and the fact that the driveshaft is now spinning approximately 30% faster than the engine in overdrive it has created a need for a lighter driveshaft. Hence the aluminum shaft. But the designs used on the Mustangs with the bolt on transmission yoke calls for a shaft that I would normally see in a four wheel drive or SUV application. These designs might work okay on these vehicles but not on a high rev car like the Mustang! The aftermarket aluminum driveshaft is in my opinion the best remedy to this design flaw. I quite often find that what works good in theory doesn't always work well in everyday practical use.
Old 12/17/07, 07:16 AM
Cobra Member

Is there some reason why no one can make a D/S that will bolt directly in the car without using as adapter or a different pinion flange?
Old 12/17/07, 07:59 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 302svt
Is there some reason why no one can make a D/S that will bolt directly in the car without using as adapter or a different pinion flange?
Well I think someone does, but at the price it may not be worth it (?):

http://www.brenspeed.com/mustang_2005/driveshaft.html
Old 12/17/07, 08:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 302svt
Yes, Ford Motor Company does, but then you end up with what you already have. We haven't tried to price a replacement OEM shaft but I am guessing it would be more than any of our driveshafts.
Robert
Old 12/17/07, 12:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Write-up is now available for you viewing pleasure. Compliments of TacoBill.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=74862
Old 12/17/07, 02:14 PM

how much hp can you throw at it?
Old 12/17/07, 02:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by alloutt
how much hp can you throw at it?
We rate our shafts based on how much torsional yield they can handle. Torsional yield is a measure of torque. you can go to our web-site and find the ratings on all of our Mustang driveshafts. You can go to Wallace Racing for driveshaft calculators and explanations of torsional yield. Our driveshafts can handle at least as much if not more torsional yield than our competition's driveshafts depending on which one of our shafts your looking at.
Old 12/18/07, 10:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by tmcolegr
I am not a skeptic but I am let's say I'm very cautious about claims of no vibration with V8s and automatic transmissions. How many 3.5" aluminum shafts with an adapter plate, in a V8 with auto transmission have you sold?

Don't take this wrong, but it's easy to claim that there are no vibration complaints if you haven't sold any.
Tom,
Now that Leo_06GT and TacoBill have done the install and write-up on our 3.5" GT shaft with adapter plate:
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=74862

We were wondering if we have done enough to convince forum members of the quality of our product. We claimed our V8 automatic shaft with adapter plate would be vibration free and it is. When we first came on the forum we made this claim and had several members doubt us. We decided there was no better way to convince the skeptics than to stand "naked" before the forum and let Leo & Bill's test do the talking. We feel a sense of vindication after having other vendors vibration problems haunt us. As of today we are still batting .1000, no complaints or vibrations on any of the aluminum mustang shafts that we manufacture. V6 or V8, manual or automatic, our shafts do not vibrate, this is a direct result of the care and expertise we bring to the manufacturing process. If ever we have such a complaint you can bet the farm that we will make things right.

Robert & David at Shaftmasters Inc
Old 12/18/07, 10:40 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I like your attitude, that's the way to do business. Two thumbs up!
Old 12/18/07, 10:59 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by shaftmasters
We decided there was no better way to convince the skeptics than to stand "naked" before the forum and let Leo & Bill's test do the talking.
I can attest to the fact that the aluminum driveshaft provided by Shaftmasters to Leo is of high quality, right down to the adapter plate and hardware.
I haven't ridden in Leo's car since the install, but by his account (which I trust), it's a solid performer and vibration free; 2 things that are paramount when stepping up to a 1-piece driveshaft.

Keep in mind that I'm running a Coast DS, but would not think twice about running the Shaftmasters as an alternative.

IMHO...
Does my Coast out perform the Shaftmasters? No.
And vice versa? Probably not.

In short, it's like Coke and Pepsi... all up to an individuals taste, and what's on sale.
Old 12/18/07, 12:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TacoBill
I can attest to the fact that the aluminum driveshaft provided by Shaftmasters to Leo is of high quality, right down to the adapter plate and hardware.
I haven't ridden in Leo's car since the install, but by his account (which I trust), it's a solid performer and vibration free; 2 things that are paramount when stepping up to a 1-piece driveshaft.

Keep in mind that I'm running a Coast DS, but would not think twice about running the Shaftmasters as an alternative.

IMHO...
Does my Coast out perform the Shaftmasters? No.
And vice versa? Probably not.

In short, it's like Coke and Pepsi... all up to an individuals taste, and what's on sale.
Thanks Taco Bill,
We appreciate your honesty and your how-to on our product. We feel that it is only logical that there is more than one company that can make a quality aluminum driveshaft for the Mustang. God help this country if that wasn't true! Even in something as specialized as brain surgery there are more than one brain surgeon in this country! As far as the aluminum driveshafts go there are minor yet important differences from one manufacturer to another. We feel we know why certain manufacturers are occasionally experiencing problems with theirs but we obviously aren't going to say what they are.
Robert