GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Serious question about Bama tune...

Search this Thread

Old 2/9/08, 12:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Serious question about Bama tune...

Hey guys...
I have been running the Bamachips 93 octane tunes for a year now with a C&L intake... I started out with the 93 Race tune and basically have stuck with it for the whole time... Just recently I switched to the 93 Torque tune... Thats where my question come in...

After switching from the 93 Race tune to the Torque tune I am worried there may be a problem... Throttle response is terrible... I know the race tune is supposed to have alot more throttle response than the torque but here is the major problem... From a stand still the response is fine, but when moving the response is very very slow especially when downshifting... When shifting from 5th to 4th on the interstate to pass the dead spot on my throttle is terrible... I mean I have to press the throttle down more than half way to get the throttle to respond... or even while cruising in 5th I will go to give it some extra throttle and its just unresponsive to a horrible degree... It takes forever to make the RPMs climb at all... Has anyone else had a problem like this? It may just come down to having to talk to Doug about it, but I would like some input. Thanks guys!
Old 2/9/08, 02:10 AM
Bullitt Member

I've used Doug's 93 Torq tune for my Predator and I had issues with it as well. I told Doug that this tune is very slugish. I asked him if he had a updated version for it and he told me "no". So, I wasted $75 on a tune that runs like a toilet and no help on Doug's side to fix it. I'm kinda leaning on asking him for my money back or for him to email his 93 Performance tune in exchange. For now I'm using his Race tune with no issues until I set up an appointment with a local tuner to get a proper tune done. I guess this is what can happen when you purchace an email tune. The tune may work for some but not others.
Old 2/9/08, 07:21 AM
Bullitt Member

Installed the torque tune earlier this week with no issues, just went side ways this morning in 2nd gear with out too much effort. I had the perfomance tune previous and didn't notive much of a difference.
Old 2/9/08, 12:21 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I cant imagine Doug not fixing something your not happy with. Why are you wanting to go from Race tune to torque?
Old 2/9/08, 01:01 PM
Bullitt Member

I went from the race to to the torque because of daily driving factors... The race tune is amazing its pulls all the way, but the throttle is so snappy it makes for rough driving habits... you really cant lug around the race tune like people have said like in a parking lot... I can handle it in a parking lot but would prefer a little smoother ride instead of the super snappy throttle...

I am happy with the power of the torque tune, but the problem is in the dead spot on the throttle... And the dead spot is only noticeable while actually moving... from a dead stand still the dead spot does not seem to be there, but when like downshifting off the interstate and trying to give it a little gas the car has no response... its not like the problem I had with the fuel pump awhile back... I just have no response at all until pressing the throttle more than once or pressing it past half way... I am going to try and reload the tune today and see if it helps.
Old 2/9/08, 01:51 PM
V6 Member

do yourself a favor and get a dyno tune
Old 2/9/08, 03:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by brown spit8
do yourself a favor and get a dyno tune
Ya if we all just had access too a dyno that would be nice... But I dont... I live in the middle of Mississippi... we dont have a dyno anywhere near here... The closest one to me would possibly be Memphis or 4 hours to Dougs shop.. We dont have 1 performance shop anywhere near here...
Old 2/9/08, 03:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Which to Brenspeed! These race, torque tunes are
Old 2/9/08, 04:28 PM
V6 Member

Well sometimes you just have to travel. I have to travel 63 miles to get mine done about 1hr or so. We go from IL to KY to the NMRA every year just to watch the races. Camping out the night before is a blast untill you wake up the next morning to the sound of racing. Just take a day off and go! I would suggest take it back to were it was (tune) and think about any more mods in the future (Near) like headers or something. Get them or what ever you buy, Install them then get your Dyno tune..
Old 2/9/08, 04:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by GRAYPNY
As are most mail order "custom" tunes.
Old 2/9/08, 04:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by turbo05gt
As are most mail order "custom" tunes.

I agree that one size doesn't fit all, but I have sure had better luck with Brent's than Doug's. Everyone swears whose tune is better, but the dyno is by far the best.
Old 2/9/08, 04:57 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
Originally Posted by GRAYPNY
what??
Old 2/9/08, 05:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hi this is Alex from Bama Chips, I'm using my fathers user name for this post.
The race tune adjustments are for increased throttle response and top end performance . The torque tune on the other hand is for more low-end power and drive ability. If you would like for us to adjust your tunes all you need to do is email us at BamaChips@gmail.com, I'm sure there is something we can do.
Old 2/9/08, 06:27 PM
V6 Member

Hum well there ya go raise a little hell and someone from that Co will speak, well sometines. I still suggest what I said. Yes I spent 300 on 3 tunes but if I knew now what I did then I would of went to the dyno. Live tunes are the way to the future!
Old 2/9/08, 11:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Ya im not really mad about the tune at all... I love Bamas tunes... There is defiantly a difference between the Torque and the Race... Honestly when I was loading the tune the other day I was looking through the optional stuff before loading it... I had looked through the numbers in some of the things but I was pretty sure I did not save anything... But I could have made a mistake on loading it... Thanks for the response Alex... I am just about to reload the tune and see what happens...

Honestly yes a live dyno tune would be best.. but I do not have the time or the money right now to travel and pay for it to be dynoed... I am currently in between jobs and paying for school and the only mad on the car other than exhaust is the intake... I just dont see it worth the money at the moment to have it dynoed... Now when I get more money and a job I will be installing 4.10s and hopefully long tubes and a prochamber... Then I will spend the money on a dynotune... thanks for all the help you guys!
Old 2/9/08, 11:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Ok I just reloaded the tune and warmed up the car and drove it...

I dunno what it could be it just seems to be when I down shift from 4th to 3rd or 3rd to 2nd while moving... It may just me being so used to the way the throttle responds to the Race tune... But I down shift and then when I try to tap my gas to rev match the throttle just does not want to respond... With the race tune rev matching was simple and the throttle response was so instant... But I think thats where I "think" I have a problem... More than likely its all in my head and I am just not used to the different tunes...
Old 2/9/08, 11:59 PM
Bullitt Member

And also it happens more when I am just cruising in 4th or 5th and then try and down shift and give it gas... It seems like its something to do with the lower RPMs at cruise speed... I dunno ill probably just go back to the race tune...
Old 2/10/08, 12:37 AM
Bullitt Member

One last quick question...

I do not know how to tell if I accidentally saved the optional perimeters... When I go to load the Torque tune first it ask me if I want to change optional perimeters, and I click no or cancel on the Xcal... Then it ask me if I want to keep previously entered options? That is where I am confused...

When it prompts me if I want to keep previously entered options, does that mean I accidentally changed something in the optional perimeters section? What do I do to make sure I am loading the exact tune Dough sent me? Just say no to both optional and keeping previously entered options?
Old 2/10/08, 03:36 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by tacbear
If you would like for us to adjust your tunes all you need to do is email us at BamaChips@gmail.com, I'm sure there is something we can do.
Hey, I tried emailing Doug. Here's what I sent him.

"So, you don't have an updated version of the 93 Torq tune then? If not, will you have one some time soon? I'm just wondering cause my 93 torq tune doesn't seem to feel any different than stock. Maybe I should of purchased your 93 Performance tune instead but it's too late now. Anyways, let me know if you ever update the tune Doug."

His reply.

"Ahh ok, yeah I just opened your file and I haven't made any changes to the Diablo side. It's kind of funny you ask as when I took on the Diablo software I actually modified a lot of my SCT tunes using ideas from it. I thought you had an SCT. Sorry! (In this email he sends me a tune for the Xcal instead of the Predator) Yeah I don't have any changes yet for my Diablo tunes."

So basically there's $75 USD down my Canadian toilet.
Old 2/10/08, 05:32 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JRay05stang
One last quick question...

I do not know how to tell if I accidentally saved the optional perimeters... When I go to load the Torque tune first it ask me if I want to change optional perimeters, and I click no or cancel on the Xcal... Then it ask me if I want to keep previously entered options? That is where I am confused...

When it prompts me if I want to keep previously entered options, does that mean I accidentally changed something in the optional perimeters section? What do I do to make sure I am loading the exact tune Dough sent me? Just say no to both optional and keeping previously entered options?

That's correct Justin. Just select no for those items and it will go with the actual tune. I havent read through all the threads, but did you go in and look at the options?

Something to think about...Go to SCT and download the new firmware and tune revision. It wont ask you about prev entered options after that.

Quick Reply: Serious question about Bama tune...