GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Saleen Superchargers vs. Whipple vs. Vortech

Search this Thread

Old 12/22/07, 11:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbos do make the most power...pound for pound.
Old 12/22/07, 11:16 PM
Cobra Member

Yeh, I'd be curious to see how much they are charging for it too.
Old 12/22/07, 11:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

You're going to see a lot of larger intake set ups for twin screws in the future.
Old 12/22/07, 11:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by anthony05gt
You're going to see a lot of larger intake set ups for twin screws in the future.
Yep...... that's like a "bolt-on mod" for those blowers LOL.
Old 12/23/07, 12:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

That blower article was impressive. I just hope we're not being fooled by just having it run leaner though.
Old 12/23/07, 06:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

What blower article?
Old 12/23/07, 02:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

What blower article?
This one: http://s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3415
Old 12/23/07, 03:40 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by tom281
I gotta say I think its funny that most of the "hardcore" guys will openly swear that a TS is worlds better than a centri because of the low-end torque, but then you have to pry them open to get them to admit that most of them run drag radials with lower gears and most of them won't drive in the rain because of that torque..... that's cool but not my idea of an ideal daily driver, IMO.
Ain't that the truth Tom! I daily drive my 450whp Vortech supercharged Mustang. It's not a good weather car. I drive it everyday....Rain, Snow, Ice, and Sun. With the centri, the car's power under 3K rpms is like stock. In fact, I drove the car in 4" of snow a few weeks ago and it was amazing. Granted a lot of that has to do with snow tires but hey I like to be prepared.

As for in the dry, the way that the power comes in makes for great traction on the street. I use true street tires and the car hooks well in first. I don't believe in running DR's on the street because it ruins the handling of the car. Many guys like to call DR's "street tires", but don't say they are running sticky tires (MTs or Nittos) My car is docile until I hit boost at roughly 3K RPMs.

I think that I would be telling a different story if I ran a TS.
Old 12/23/07, 04:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Pwny

Oh yeah, he layed that out just right
Old 12/23/07, 04:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by max2000jp
Ain't that the truth Tom! I daily drive my 450whp Vortech supercharged Mustang. It's not a good weather car. I drive it everyday....Rain, Snow, Ice, and Sun. With the centri, the car's power under 3K rpms is like stock. In fact, I drove the car in 4" of snow a few weeks ago and it was amazing. Granted a lot of that has to do with snow tires but hey I like to be prepared.

As for in the dry, the way that the power comes in makes for great traction on the street. I use true street tires and the car hooks well in first. I don't believe in running DR's on the street because it ruins the handling of the car. Many guys like to call DR's "street tires", but don't say they are running sticky tires (MTs or Nittos) My car is docile until I hit boost at roughly 3K RPMs.

I think that I would be telling a different story if I ran a TS.
It's not hard to deal with when you have a twin screw. You just adjust your driving style. I almost lost it last night because I was jacking around with a few IPA's in me.
Old 12/23/07, 10:11 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

It's not hard to deal with when you have a twin screw. You just adjust your driving style. I almost lost it last night because I was jacking around with a few IPA's in me.
I didn't really have to adjust my driving style, except looking farther ahead and making sure to leave enough room to brake. Like I said above, the car is docile around town. If you didn't hear the slight whistle at idle, a person driving the car wouldn't know it was supercharged if they kept the rpm's under 3K rpms.
Old 12/23/07, 10:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

I thought pretty much every blower ran stock unless you got into boost. The twin screws bleed off boost when not needed so you can get around town.

I could be wrong.
Old 12/23/07, 10:20 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I thought pretty much every blower ran stock unless you got into boost. The twin screws bleed off boost when not needed so you can get around town.

I could be wrong.
You can go WOT in my car up to about 3,500 rpms and the power is near stock. My tuner showed me this on the dyno. We compared a lightly modded 3V dyno to my Supercharger dyno. They were nearly identical up to the rpm I mentioned. After that is where the fun comes in!!
Old 12/24/07, 07:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

And that's exactly why I dropped the centrifugal. I personally prefer instant torque. You can justify what you like, that's your business. Just don't make people out there deciding on what to buy think a twin screw is going to scare them and cause control issues because it's not the truth.

Do you want to rev to make peak torque or not? That's the deciding factor. If someone can't handle a twin screw for daily driving around town then they should buy a Toyota.
Old 12/24/07, 09:30 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

And that's exactly why I dropped the centrifugal. I personally prefer instant torque. You can justify what you like, that's your business. Just don't make people out there deciding on what to buy think a twin screw is going to scare them and cause control issues because it's not the truth.

Do you want to rev to make peak torque or not? That's the deciding factor. If someone can't handle a twin screw for daily driving around town then they should buy a Toyota.
I am not trying to scare anyone. You admitted above that you had to change your driving habits. Obviously there is traction issues that you had to adjust to. All I am saying is that I didn't have to change a thing. What kind of tires do you run? I am curious.
Old 12/24/07, 10:59 AM
Former Vendor

Yeah. Now where is mine?
- I PM'd it to you by way of discount on the thing we talked.
Old 12/24/07, 11:38 AM
Former Vendor

You know, like I said, I've had a Procharger on my '05 and now I have a twin screw Whipple and both were dyno tuned. I'm sitting here looking at the dyno sheets and I just do not see the loss of mid and top end power on the graphs with the Whipple. I think the biggest misconception with twin screws is that they don't have the top end pull like a centrifugal. The fact that a twin screw has so much pull down low makes the top end less noticable and of course the twin screw graph won't have as steep of a curve up top because the power isn't pouring on all up top. The power is a gradual bottom to top curve, not a mid to high onslaught like the centrifugal has.

I'll be the first to admit that my top end doesn't feel as good as it did with my Procharger, but I believe it's misleading to assume it's the way it really is. With the Whipple the bottom attack is bad *** and that really steals the show before any revs even come into play.

Here are a couple examples from my dyno sheets:

PROCHARGER HP:
3500 rpm's 240
5000 rpm's 420
6300 rpm's 470 peak

PROCHARGER TQ:
3500 rpm's 365
5000 rpm's 435 peak
6300 rpm's 410
__________________________________________________ ____________
__________________________________________________ ____________

WHIPPLE HP:
3500 rpm's 290
5000 rpm's 422
6500 rpm's 480 peak

WHIPPLE TQ:
3500 rpm's 440
5000 rpm's 455
6500 rpm's 390
(TORQUE PEAKS AT 4650 rpms 474 ft lbs)

Pay close attention to what the hp and tq differences are between 3500 rpm's and redline. The hp is basicly the same with both blowers. The torque is where the big difference exists. The twin screw has extreme low end torque. As a matter of fact it has 400 ft lbs at only 2300 rpm's. That's sick. The twin screw does have less torque at redline, but the bottom end difference in torque between the 2 blowers is where the buck stops. There's a difference of 20 ft lbs at redline between the blowers. At 3500 rpm's the difference is staggering....75 ft lbs and it's even worse than that lower in the rpm range.

Bottom line: Twin screws pull hard up top it's just that the bottom end pull already steals the show.......BIG TIME!

The Procharger was at 11 lbs boost, the Whipple at 10.5 lbs boost. The comment that a centrifugal blower is much stronger above 3500 rpm's is just plain wrong. I've got dyno proof of that with the same car, same mods, same basic temp and humidity. I will say that the Procharger definitely feels stronger up top, but the torque curve is smaller and placed up higher in the rpm range. That's why it feels that way from what I see.
I agree this is a great back to back dyno test- only problem they were not run back to back . Bottom line like you said you LOVE the bottom end of the Whipple.

I will take the Centrifugal in a freeway race or drag race. It should also be noted, the Whipple is in the happy HP and torque range you have your car set at. Look at it like this - Here is a turbo at your boost numbers 10psi

These are my numbers - which everyone claims are exaggerated

Turbo HP:
3500 RPM – 300
5000 RPM – 477
PEAK – 483 at 5600 RPM

Turbo ft/lbs:
3500 RPM – 425
5000 RPM – 490
PEAK – 504 at 4300 RPM

These are Bob Kurgans numbers - On a car I have never seen. Car was tested in Chicago IL

Turbo HP:
3500 RPM – 297
5000 RPM – 520
PEAK – 538 at 5620 RPM

Turbo ft/lbs:
3500 RPM – 440
5000 RPM – 540
PEAK – 587 at 4300 RPM
Old 12/24/07, 11:45 AM
Former Vendor

You should see the numbers down lower...like right off idle. The TS torque is mean as hell. That's good and bad. You need to hook. The Procharged car lacked traction too, but now I need drag radials along with the 3.55's that went back in on the street. Hopefully when the weather gets warm the traction won't be as bad as I think it's going to be. The thing I like the most about the TS is while driving at lower rpm's like in 4th or 5th gear the acceleration is amazing without having to rev.
depends on where it is dyno'd and how it was dyno'd - and what kind of dyno -
Old 12/24/07, 06:51 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by tom281

I gotta say I think its funny that most of the "hardcore" guys will openly swear that a TS is worlds better than a centri because of the low-end torque, but then you have to pry them open to get them to admit that most of them run drag radials with lower gears and most of them won't drive in the rain because of that torque.....
That is true in my case---if I want to go fast on the street, the DR comes out. I drive on the street most of the time, however, with the 295/45/18 nitto 555's, because I leave the racing for the track. With the 555's, driving in the rain is not a problem. But I would never drive in the rain with the DR's.

That blower article was impressive. I just hope we're not being fooled by just having it run leaner though.
First, thanks for calling it an article. I just wanted to post a clear test of the system. I have known Adam since the early 90's, when we used to street race when we were young and stupid. However, I would not mislead anyone, that is not worth my reputation. Also, since I was spending about the same amount as a set of long tube headers with an x-pipe, I wanted to verify for myself that this system was worth it. Thats why I also had him dyno the car with the BBK throttle body, because I really thought that the BBK throttle body was going to be enough. As far as it running leaner, yes it was. I don't think it would pick up 92rwhp because its a point leaner, however. We did not want to change the tune because then people would say the hp came from the different tune. But I do plan on going back to ST to bring the a/f down a 1/2 point to 11.5 before going to the track. That in my mind will be the real test, as I have already turned an 11.32 on the stock setup, and a 10.77 with the BBK throttle body. I will definitely post up the ET and the new dyno numbers when the a/f is corrected, hopefully in early January.

Oh yeah, he layed that out just right
Thanks!

I could be wrong.
Mine does.

Originally Posted by max2000jp
You can go WOT in my car up to about 3,500 rpms and the power is near stock. My tuner showed me this on the dyno. We compared a lightly modded 3V dyno to my Supercharger dyno. They were nearly identical up to the rpm I mentioned. After that is where the fun comes in!!
Thats exactly why I went with the whipple, I wanted my car to come out of the hole hard! Stock hp to 3500 rpm would not cut it for me. How about a 1.490 60' time, lifting the front wheels with 18X9 saleen wheels and 255/45/18 tires! And that is with the old setup at 511rwhp. Here is a video of that---second pass:

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/c...ea0023600d.htm

In the end you just have to weigh all of the choices carefully and decide what YOU want. I decided on the whipple for a few reasons:

1) I knew the turbo was the best for what I wanted, but honestly the fact I knew nothing about turbos intimidated me.
2) I liked that the whipple kit had everything, even the fuel system upgrade
3) I love that whipple scream (ok that maybe a lame reason, but the rest of my car is set up like a true street car, so it doesn't look like much. So when I get on it, I want people to say WTF? It has actually happened already several times---its pretty funny actually
4) I wanted to have awesome 60' times at the track. I race for fun, and love coming out of the gate hard.
5) I wanted complete streetability (and by that I mean not around the block, but drive to Vegas and back without any concerns). The twinscrew or centri allow that.
Old 12/24/07, 06:58 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I love all the systems but the price was the deciding factor for me ... Either way you will get great power...

Quick Reply: Saleen Superchargers vs. Whipple vs. Vortech