Will it fit under a stock hood?

Jay
Old 4/1/07, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes...
Old 4/1/07, 10:39 PM
Cobra R Member

I hear it gets tight and certain s/c's rub the under hood sound deadener, you may have to either change engine mounts which I would recommend or cut the sound deaener
Old 4/2/07, 12:12 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

JDM sells the motor mounts that will drop the motor the 1/2" that it needs to have not rubbing issues at all, the Saleen will fit but like the engine cover it will rub a bit on the hood liner
Old 4/2/07, 12:34 AM
Cobra R Member

if you are going to install new motor mounts install the supercharger while the engine is out
Old 4/2/07, 10:13 AM
Bullitt Member

You don't need to remove the engine to replace mounts.
Old 4/2/07, 11:11 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by DynamicmustangGT
if you are going to install new motor mounts install the supercharger while the engine is out

Why would you pull the motor?
Old 4/2/07, 11:32 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You are right that would be crazy to remove the engine to change the mounts. You can use an engine hoist and a sling to suspend the engine while you swap out the mounts. Don't be lazy and try and jack the engine up from the bottom either. You could damage it doing it that way. I didn't have to worry about the hood though since I bought the Saleen hood. It is a vented hood and reduces the heat in the engine compartment.
Old 4/2/07, 02:56 PM
Cobra R Member

I just thought that it would make it much easier, I had no idea how to do it as I have never changed the mounts before. Good news I guess as I have been thinking of it as of late.
Old 4/2/07, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by DynamicmustangGT
I just thought that it would make it much easier.
There is nothing "easy" about pulling one of these motors... too much stuff attached to them.
Old 4/2/07, 05:12 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by mustang_lurkers
You are right that would be crazy to remove the engine to change the mounts. You can use an engine hoist and a sling to suspend the engine while you swap out the mounts. Don't be lazy and try and jack the engine up from the bottom either. You could damage it doing it that way. I didn't have to worry about the hood though since I bought the Saleen hood. It is a vented hood and reduces the heat in the engine compartment.
Actually you can jack the motor up safely! Steeda and BBK both recommend doing this when you install their headers! I had to raise the motor about 2" to install my Steeda shortie headers! and from the looks of it thats all you would need to install the motor mounts!........
Old 4/2/07, 09:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by blkstang06
Actually you can jack the motor up safely! Steeda and BBK both recommend doing this when you install their headers! I had to raise the motor about 2" to install my Steeda shortie headers! and from the looks of it thats all you would need to install the motor mounts!........
where does steeda and bbk recommends to jack the engine up? this would be good info.
Old 4/3/07, 12:07 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by mvon919
where does steeda and bbk recommends to jack the engine up? this would be good info.
Just put a block of wood under the oil pan and start jacking... should be ok...
Old 4/3/07, 04:33 AM
Banned

you will be sorry!

You will risk denting your oil pan! Trust me do it right and use and engine hoist and sling.
Old 4/3/07, 06:21 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by mrkabc
Just put a block of wood under the oil pan and start jacking... should be ok...

Old 4/3/07, 08:07 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

You will risk denting your oil pan! Trust me do it right and use and engine hoist and sling.
Actually! you place the block of wood in the front of oil pan where it mounts to the motor! not directly on the pan! on the oil pan flange! in between the harmonic balancer ( Crank Pully ) and front of oil pan! I repeat not directly on the oil pan! The 4.6 3V motor only weighs about 420 lb's using a piece of 4x4 6'' inches long gives you about 24" inches of jacking surface! and your only raising the front of the motor so your actually lifting 250 lb's thats only about 10 lb's of force per square inch! I did it! It's a piece of cake! just take your time! after I was done believe me I checked everything over close! This process didn't even smudge the paint on the oil pan flange! this far simpler and easy than it sounds!
Old 4/3/07, 01:35 PM
Banned

Well I guess that I am fortunate to always have the right tools for the right job available to me. Using a jack and a block of wood to support my engine instead of an engine hoist and sling which are designed to do the job just seams like the caveman way of doing it to me. But if you can do it without damaging anything more power to you. Just don't ding your balancer if the jack slips.
Old 4/3/07, 03:25 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Well I guess that I am fortunate to always have the right tools for the right job available to me. Using a jack and a block of wood to support my engine instead of an engine hoist and sling which are designed to do the job just seams like the caveman way of doing it to me. But if you can do it without damaging anything more power to you. Just don't ding your balancer if the jack slips.
Derek, four months ago Mustang Monthly published a article on installing a set BBK headers. The article was photoed and done at BBK's in house shop! The BBK techs chose to do the install as I have stated! I'm sure they have a motor hoist a round some where.. and even in this article went a step farther than I wanted to go! by sliding a 2'' block of wood under the pan and frame! until the install was complete. All I am saying is this process worked safely and with ease for myself and those Cavemen Techs at BBK! ..........
Old 4/3/07, 03:58 PM
Banned

Did you see any caveman clubs in the shop?
Old 4/3/07, 04:05 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Did you see any caveman clubs in the shop?
No, but the BBK techs did kinda looked like the guy on the Gieco comercials!.

Quick Reply: saleen sc question