GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Saleen Alt Bracket Broke

Search this Thread

Old 10/18/08, 12:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saleen Alt Bracket Broke

Spoke with JDM and they have to get a new one from Saleen...$70 freaking dollars. Oh well... Anyone have any idea what could have caused this? I was thinking the bolt may have been over torqued, but being that all this **** is aluminum I'm very careful about how tight I make stuff.

Last time I took it off was about a month ago when the tensioner pulley separated and trashed the tensioner and belt. I had grease and rubber every where. So I took everything apart to clean it. I know the bracket wasn't like that then since I had to take it off and clean it as well. But ****, I'm pretty confident I didn't crank down on that bolt to cause that.

Old 10/18/08, 12:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Sounds like it was over torqued...
Old 10/18/08, 04:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Yikes! Atleast you caught it before it snapped all the way off.
Old 10/18/08, 05:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Well, it's broke all the way through, but that's as far as it's going to go due to the other two bolts. The bad part is that it's taken the alt pulley out of alignment and it's going to be about two weeks before I can get another bracket.
Old 10/18/08, 06:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Any vibration up there?
Old 10/18/08, 11:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by travelers
Any vibration up there?
What do you mean, before it broke? Not that I can notice over the Kooks and Stingers.
Old 10/20/08, 08:47 PM
Cobra Member

Would this help?
Steeda heavy duty tensioner bracket
Steeda Heavy Duty Belt Tensioner - Billet Pulley - '05-'09
Stop your OEM belt tensioner bracket from bending with Steeda's new Tensioner kit! A major problem with Supercharged applications as the increased belt length and tension puts unwanted stress on the factory tensioner. A real problem is when you kick the clutch and pull the next gear the RPMS suddenly drop.

With the extra rotating mass of the supercharger and weight of all the accessories it will jerk the belt and sometimes hurt your OEM tensioner. It causes it to flex and in the end you usually end up with broken belts that are hard to find and expensive. A great fix for all blown Roush, Saleen and other bolt on supercharger applications. Kit is available with a factory pulley or an optional billet one.
Old 10/20/08, 09:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by AGBULLIT
Would this help?
Steeda heavy duty tensioner bracket
Steeda Heavy Duty Belt Tensioner - Billet Pulley - '05-'09
Stop your OEM belt tensioner bracket from bending with Steeda's new Tensioner kit! A major problem with Supercharged applications as the increased belt length and tension puts unwanted stress on the factory tensioner. A real problem is when you kick the clutch and pull the next gear the RPMS suddenly drop.

With the extra rotating mass of the supercharger and weight of all the accessories it will jerk the belt and sometimes hurt your OEM tensioner. It causes it to flex and in the end you usually end up with broken belts that are hard to find and expensive. A great fix for all blown Roush, Saleen and other bolt on supercharger applications. Kit is available with a factory pulley or an optional billet one.
Appreciate it, but already have an aftermarket tensioner. Although I did have the stock one in for a few weeks when this occurred. Could be from the stop on the OEM causing the belt to tighten up and putting extra load on the alt pulley. Not sure, just guessing here...