GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

S&B intake No tune option dynotested....

Search this Thread

Old 4/5/07, 05:26 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S&B intake No tune option dynotested....

Hey guys,

A TMS member was nice enough to send me S&B intake so I could test it on the dyno and see how well the a/f would hold up and how it behaved under normal driving conditions without a tune. Granted I didn't have a stock intake to compare it to so I cant give you before and after numbers with it but I can give you the stock tune with the S&B installed and the a/f numbers it gave.

Without the tune, the S&B netted numbers in the mid to high 13's over all with them starting in the low 14's. When I added my tune I was able to get the a/f down to a safe level of 12.8:1, starting at around 13.0.

The gains, well I dont wish to say much about them because I have cams in my car and I dont really know if that had a great deal to do with it. I gained 15 rwhp and 30 rwtq over stock with the intake and tune but like I said I'm sure that has alot to do with my special spark tables I use for the cams and I could only rev the engine to 6200 rpm's with the stock tune where I could take it all the way to 6400 with my tune.

I would still say this is a respectable intake, just like the K&N, but dont beleive the myth of no tune required. Not to take away from a good show but " Myth Busted ".

Thanks, Doug.
Attached Thumbnails S&B intake No tune option dynotested....-s-btest.jpg  
Old 4/5/07, 06:25 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Interesting info Doug. Thanks for posting it. I just sent you am email with a question. Thanks dude.
Old 4/5/07, 07:50 PM

Hi Doug have you done this test on a Air Aid cai? Is it safe without a tune?
Old 4/5/07, 09:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug904
Hey guys,

A TMS member was nice enough to send me S&B intake so I could test it on the dyno and see how well the a/f would hold up and how it behaved under normal driving conditions without a tune. Granted I didn't have a stock intake to compare it to so I cant give you before and after numbers with it but I can give you the stock tune with the S&B installed and the a/f numbers it gave.

Without the tune, the S&B netted numbers in the mid to high 13's over all with them starting in the low 14's. When I added my tune I was able to get the a/f down to a safe level of 12.8:1, starting at around 13.0.

The gains, well I dont wish to say much about them because I have cams in my car and I dont really know if that had a great deal to do with it. I gained 15 rwhp and 30 rwtq over stock with the intake and tune but like I said I'm sure that has alot to do with my special spark tables I use for the cams and I could only rev the engine to 6200 rpm's with the stock tune where I could take it all the way to 6400 with my tune.

I would still say this is a respectable intake, just like the K&N, but dont beleive the myth of no tune required. Not to take away from a good show but " Myth Busted ".

Thanks, Doug.
Nothing personal Doug but I don't think you're taking anything away from Myth Busters. You didn't dyno this intake on the same car against the stock intake. In fact when this subject came up a while ago with the Granatelli unit I don't remember any dynos done back to back on the same car - stock intake versus the "no-tune". This is pretty unscientific IMO.
Old 4/6/07, 07:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Fords4Ever
Nothing personal Doug but I don't think you're taking anything away from Myth Busters. You didn't dyno this intake on the same car against the stock intake. In fact when this subject came up a while ago with the Granatelli unit I don't remember any dynos done back to back on the same car - stock intake versus the "no-tune". This is pretty unscientific IMO.

We did the dyno on a stock intake VS the GMS on four different cars back to back. I still have the results on each if you'd like to see them.

Like I said this wasn't to show numbers but rather to just check the a/f ratio's to see what it was like and if it truly required a tune. The a/f ratio's on my car never changed after installing the cams just the hp levels so it was a good test. It also allowed me to have a tune for the S&B intake now that I found the a/f ratio's to be so far off.

thanks, Doug.
Old 4/6/07, 09:37 AM
Former Vendor

He's right... now I'm wondering how close the C&L no-tune is. I'd like to get one of them installed on the dyno this weekend if possible. Good dectective work!
Old 4/6/07, 09:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TillmanSpeed
He's right... now I'm wondering how close the C&L no-tune is. I'd like to get one of them installed on the dyno this weekend if possible. Good dectective work!
I just shipped my last C&L out yesterday but since I run that intake on my car daily I will gladly show the results of it too. I'll call them and request just the insert but if you have one too CR that would be an excellent idea to review them on two different cars.

The thing to remember is with the C&L they don't market it as a absolutly no tune required. They say with the insert one isn't but for the best power then it is. They'll even tell you that with the intake you'll gain power but to gain the good throttle responce and timing then you'll need a tune.

Thanks, Doug.
Old 4/6/07, 10:09 AM
Former Vendor

I just shipped my last C&L out yesterday but since I run that intake on my car daily I will gladly show the results of it too. I'll call them and request just the insert but if you have one too CR that would be an excellent idea to review them on two different cars.

The thing to remember is with the C&L they don't market it as a absolutly no tune required. They say with the insert one isn't but for the best power then it is. They'll even tell you that with the intake you'll gain power but to gain the good throttle responce and timing then you'll need a tune.

Thanks, Doug.
Correct you are. Lee designed it so that it can be transformed into a tuned intake within seconds. I think that no tune should be marketed by EVERY company as "not neccessary, but reccommended".

The car runs it's *** off with a tune, but without it gets power from leaning it out significantly... to the point where it's dangerous.

I hope that Lees keeps the AFR within a reasonable level.

CR
Old 4/6/07, 11:06 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Correct you are. Lee designed it so that it can be transformed into a tuned intake within seconds. I think that no tune should be marketed by EVERY company as "not neccessary, but reccommended".

The car runs it's *** off with a tune, but without it gets power from leaning it out significantly... to the point where it's dangerous.

I hope that Lees keeps the AFR within a reasonable level.

CR
Hi Guys... I spoke with Lee a few times about the a/f ratio with the no-tune insert. He shared with me that the a/f mirrored the stock intake throughout the band (Idle/Cruise was 14+ ; but at WOT, a/f ratio ranged from 12.8 to 13.2). I'd be VERY interested in your test results as I just ordered this kit (as you know CR!).
Old 4/6/07, 11:13 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CR, when you see my car next week, you'll see that I have an Airaid CAI, but without a tune. Never had a CEL come on yet.
Old 4/6/07, 11:50 AM
Former Vendor

You won't see a CEL unless you're about 15% lean or more. I dont think Doug is knocking the intake, nor am I... but it would be cool to get a wideband reading just to see, which is what he did.

Side note: Jeff, I will be giving you a shout in about an hour or so, if that's cool?
Old 4/6/07, 04:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
We did the dyno on a stock intake VS the GMS on four different cars back to back. I still have the results on each if you'd like to see them.

Like I said this wasn't to show numbers but rather to just check the a/f ratio's to see what it was like and if it truly required a tune. The a/f ratio's on my car never changed after installing the cams just the hp levels so it was a good test. It also allowed me to have a tune for the S&B intake now that I found the a/f ratio's to be so far off.

thanks, Doug.
Doug,

I wasn't clear in my question, what I meant was it would be nice to see a back to back to back comparison as follows:

Stock intake - no tune.
vs.
No-tune intake - w/no tune.
vs.
No-tune intake - w/tune.

This should all be done on a stock GT - no cams, etc.

The dynos I remember you posting a while back never had a stock intake/no tune combo. I could be wrong, please post if you have an example to share.
Old 4/6/07, 05:21 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
CR, when you see my car next week, you'll see that I have an Airaid CAI, but without a tune. Never had a CEL come on yet.
Now you said that your running the Airaid minus tune. Hows that working for you? This is the same thing I want to run and when I called Airaid they also told me it didn't need a tune. I'm just really leary when it comes to adjusting the computer. I'm just afraid of messing something up and voiding the warranty. I also can't see myself spending $400 on a tuner either .