GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Roushcharger Likes the X-Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 10/13/06, 11:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roushcharger Likes the X-Pipe

As per Boomers X-Pipe post last week, and after driving his, had mine installed today. Same comments (nicer sound, actually quieter/smoother at idle but after that, a deeper more sophisticated sound when you open it up. Drone's the same as expected).

But on to the good stuff......NO power loss at takeoff at all (that I could notice anyways) but LOTS MORE seat of the pants power under WOT, right up through all the gears. And for some reason, downshifts (this is an autobox) feel more responsive. The car actually feels lighter - that's the best way I can describe it.

Guess the RCharger just loves the smoother flow 'cause the power difference IS definately noticeable.

Wise investment - thanks Pete
Old 10/13/06, 11:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Original Sin
As per Boomers X-Pipe post last week, and after driving his, had mine installed today. Same comments (nicer sound, actually quieter/smoother at idle but after that, a deeper more sophisticated sound when you open it up. Drone's the same as expected).

But on to the good stuff......NO power loss at takeoff at all (that I could notice anyways) but LOTS MORE seat of the pants power under WOT, right up through all the gears. And for some reason, downshifts (this is an autobox) feel more responsive. The car actually feels lighter - that's the best way I can describe it.

Guess the RCharger just loves the smoother flow 'cause the power difference IS definately noticeable.

Wise investment - thanks Pete

How much louder did it make your exhaust notes? PErcentage wise?
Old 10/14/06, 12:15 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Glad you like it!

Now update your sig

Totally worth it, I agree.
I know what you mean by feeling lighter.
It accelerates smoother, making it feel more nimble than it was before.
Cool feeling!
Old 10/15/06, 09:24 AM
I Have No Life

I can't say on Marks with the Charger...
bit it made mine about 10% louder at idle outside (slightly on the inside)
but WOT is about 20-25% louder now
Old 10/15/06, 01:12 PM
Cobra Member

So you can tell a pretty good amount of difference by switching to the X?
Old 10/15/06, 01:54 PM
I Have No Life

Volume wise, and powerwise ...yes...

Marks car was louder with the RoushCharger to begin with, and since i have yet to hear it on his car... I can't say how much louder it is, he'll have to chime in on that on exactly how much louder.

With my car alone, all I had exhaust wise was the Borla S-Types...and myself and others noticed the volume increase.

Power, yeah I noticed the smoothness for sure.
Old 10/15/06, 02:22 PM
GT Member

I could swear it improved my cornering, as well.

Seriously, though- I dig the more refined exhaust note- it's worth the money!
Old 10/15/06, 09:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Sorry guys, went away for the weekend, shovelling SNOW off the boat so I could clean it

Anyways, thanks Pete for answering the questions for me, I'll second your thoughts on both. As for the difference with the RCharger, yes it was a bit deeper to begin with (as compared to a stock motor with the FRP Stingers), adding the X just smoothed it out and gave it that refined tone I was trying to describe. Put it this way - I drive with the radio "off" more than it's on.

Noticeable power??? As I said, yes, it's noticeable. Can't quantify it (yet) but it brought on a big grin when I stomped on it the first time. And we all remember that grin when we first got our cars and how it slowly fades when we get used to the power. And then it comes back with every performance mod we add. Then it fades away again. Well this little $175.00 (Cdn) mod brought it back, no doubt.

I'll say it again - money well spent no matter what cat-backs you're running. IMO there's a ton of debate out there regarding X vs H but for our motors and our states of tune, X seems to be the way to go. Add a supercharger and it's that much better.

Mark
Old 10/28/06, 09:10 PM

X Pipe

Hey Mark

Any problems with check engine lights? I've been thinking about this for awhile now. I've got a set of GMS Coil Paks on order.

Regards

John
Old 10/29/06, 07:06 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Just installed mine yesturday. I have a similar setup as Mark. GT-Roushcharger/FRPP-Stingers. Everything Mark said is spot on. Everything does feel smoother and the sound to me did't change that much but does sound a little "deeper". It even feels like it took out some of the drone.

I took some quick video of the sound with just the Muffelsr and going to take some this morning with the X. As soon as I get them uploaded I will post.
Old 10/29/06, 09:06 AM
I Have No Life

Thanks Gary..
So you like

It might be hard to tell on video.
Even with Marks car without the X, and mine with...it was hard to tell and you had to listen to the difference, but it was there...
Old 10/29/06, 12:29 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Boomer
Thanks Gary..
So you like

It might be hard to tell on video.
Even with Marks car without the X, and mine with...it was hard to tell and you had to listen to the difference, but it was there...
Video? Did I miss a video comparison?
Old 10/29/06, 05:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by SlamMan02
Video? Did I miss a video comparison?
No you didn't, I got tied up today and have not been able to make the after video. The difference is not much. I can tell because I hear my car everyday but a friend of mine can't really tell.

Went to a show today and got a chance to get it out on the highway and run some WOT at high speeds. Man, to me there is a very noticable difference in sound (from inside) and pickup. Exactly what Mark said, the car just feels like it is more responsive and smoother through the gears(My Roushcharger likes it too ). I didn't know I had it but apparently I had some lag at the low end of each gear (especially 2nd) because now it is much more responsive before the S/C kicks in.

Best way I can describe the X over the stock H is how they advertise it, car just feels like it "breathes" better, especially the S/C.

Yes sir Boomer, I like! I was worried about making the drone louder or really changing the FRPP/Stinger sound (love the growl) but it is perfect for my everyday driver! You are right, we won't really be able to tell the difference on the video. The camcorders don't pick up every aspect of the sound but I will make the vid anyway. One thing I leared about my camcorder is it is excellent for recording drone. I made a vid the other day testing drone (before the x was installed). Once I get some more time I will edit it a bit and post.

Thanks again Mark and Boomer...great choice for me
Old 10/29/06, 08:03 PM

X Pipe

I will have to add this to my list. I'll have to give Eastgate a call and make an appointment this week. Hey Mark What was your total install price?

Thanks in advance.

J
Old 10/29/06, 08:09 PM
Cobra Member

Yea just let us all know when the Video is ready.

Im really anxious to hear O/R X with Stingers..I should be installing my sometime towards the end of November (Getting it as a Bday Gift haha)

Does anyone have any clips of O/R X with the Stingers?
Old 10/30/06, 07:52 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by PonyBoy 56
I will have to add this to my list. I'll have to give Eastgate a call and make an appointment this week. Hey Mark What was your total install price?

Thanks in advance.

J
J, I did mine myself this weekend. The X cost me $136 (around there) I think with it drop shipped to my door. All you need is a set of jack stands and a good pipe cutter. It took us close to 2 hours to install but I was taking it slow and taking pictures at each step since I never did anything like this before. I can't imagine the labor would be to bad to have a muffler shop install it. Probably would take them under 45 minutes (thats with straightening the mufflers also)

Originally Posted by SlamMan02
Yea just let us all know when the Video is ready.

Im really anxious to hear O/R X with Stingers..I should be installing my sometime towards the end of November (Getting it as a Bday Gift haha)

Does anyone have any clips of O/R X with the Stingers?
Matt, not sure if you are talking about the X I and the others have installed but if you are it is not an O/R. It is 50 state legal and bolts in behind the stock cats. Closest clip I know of is TacoBill's with his Pypes O/R-H at this link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0Pzr09JRPg
Old 10/30/06, 09:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Anytime Gary....glad that Pete and I could help out.

Hey John, what's up. Got to get together mister !!! But in the interim, $175 for the pipe and 200 for the install from Lance. Thought the install price would have been less but as always, Dave took his time and did a couple of underbody tweaks while he was there. And Lance gives us a considerable break on the X-pipe so it all works out in the wash.

So bottom line - inexpensive, but don't tell your wife I said so. Every time I phone she must see $$ signs !!!!

And PS....no "check engine" lights at all for me.
Talk to ya - Mark
Old 10/30/06, 10:16 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Original Sin
And PS....no "check engine" lights at all for me.
Oh yea, forgot to mention that as well, no light for me either.