GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Roush TVS + Tillman Speed = OMG!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11/25/09, 09:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roush TVS + Tillman Speed = OMG!!!

As some of you will already know, I was one of the lucky few that managed to get the killer deal on a TVS kit from Grand Prairie Ford, when they were selling up all their Roush kit. As far as I am aware, this is one of, if not the first to come to the UK.

I got it all installed during October, along with a set of Carmen Goudeys billet pulleys. My engine is bone stock and I have no plans for going forged in the immediate future, so I was looking for around 8lbs of boost. I did not want to go with the Steeda UDP's, so Carmen custom made me a 3.75" pulley for the blower snout.

And the finished install...

Unfortunately, over here in the UK, we do not have anyone that we can take a project like this to, for dyno tuning. Therefore, my only real option is buying an email tune from a U.S vendor, and remote tuning it. So over the last couple of weeks I have been working with Chris Rose of Tillman Speed, doing just that.

Chris emailed me his initial tune, which I installed and data logged. When I sent him that information back, he found that my fuel pump duty cycle was hitting 85 - 90% by 4500 - 5000 rpm, so we decided to add a KB BAP. This took about another 10 days to source and get delivered, then it was back on the routine of tune revisions, datalogging, more tune revisions, more datalogging etc etc.

After 3 or four tune revisions we were ready to get it on a dyno. I don't have a wideband or boost gauge so we had no way of knowing what those readings were. Unfortunately I couldn't find a Dynojet dyno anywhere near me, so the one I settled for was called a Dynomax 2000, which is our equivelant to your Mustang Dyno.

I initially went there Saturday, did some runs and datalogged them. As expected, the AFR was a little rich (high 10's) I emailed the information to CR when I got home and had a revised tune file in my in-box within 40 minutes!

So I loaded the new file yesterday and got back to the dyno in the afternoon. Instant improvement across the board. AFR was still slightly rich (low 11's) but RWHP and RWTQ were both up. Boost was solid at around 8.2 - 8.5 lbs.

I phoned CR while the car was still strapped to the dyno, and over the course of the next hour he sent me 3 tune revisions and we managed to get it totally dialled in then & there! Final numbers were, 420.9 RWHP @ 6400 rpm and 389.2 RWTQ ' 4000 rpm. Based on the difference between a Dynojet and Mustang Dyno being approx 7%, CR calculated 450.33 RWHP and 416.44 RWTQ. So taking into account the fact that my car is an Auto, I was pretty much ecstatic!

The car is an absolute riot to drive and despite the fact it is an Auto, it can still pretty much light up the rear tyres at will!

I have to say at this stage, if any one is planning anything like this in the future, then Tillmans is the place to go. I cannot find the words to praise them enough. Particularly Chris Rose, who was willing to talk me through every aspect of this process on the phone, even when I was pulling him away from the dyno just to ask my dumb-*** newbie questions. He was polite, patient, incredibly proffessional and ultimately hooked me up with a kickass tune. Seriously, my car is a MONSTER! All I am waiting on is one final adjustment from Chris on the autobox side of the tune. I am getting a flare up as it shifts between 3rd and 4th. Chris is on the case and once I have that I will be all set.

Finally, if anyone is on the fence about which power adder to go with, then all I can say is Roush TVS + Tillman Speeed FTW!

Andy.
Old 11/25/09, 09:27 AM
GT Member

Congrats dude! That sounds awesome. I was looking at the TVS, but I wouldn't want to underdrive all of my accessories. How much did the blower pulley cost you? Chris, do many people do this or just the underdrive pulley?
Old 11/25/09, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by jodadejSS06GT
Congrats dude! That sounds awesome. I was looking at the TVS, but I wouldn't want to underdrive all of my accessories. How much did the blower pulley cost you? Chris, do many people do this or just the underdrive pulley?
I bought the pulley's as a complete set, however, Carmen will sell you a blower pulley only if that is what you want and the beauty of it is, he will custom make it any size you want. Here are his contact details if you want him to give you a price...

Last edited by CaliSpecial; 11/25/09 at 10:02 AM.
Old 11/25/09, 04:54 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sweet.. Kudos to Tillman Speed!!
Old 11/25/09, 05:03 PM
I don't do trannies
or rear-ends anymore!

I love my pulleys Your car is very nice, congrats on getting the tune sorted out!
Old 11/25/09, 05:05 PM
Team Mustang Source

wow what an international supercharger. You have Texas,PPennsylvania, Canada,and England.
Old 11/25/09, 05:11 PM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Chris is the bomb. Hes an ace
Old 11/26/09, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Greywolf
wow what an international supercharger. You have Texas,PPennsylvania, Canada,and England.
I know, right?
Old 11/27/09, 08:45 AM
Former Vendor

Thanks fellers!

jodadejSS06GT, we're probably gonna update our Tillman Speed kit we sell online to use these Carmen's pulleys. Nastystang113 can show you what happens to underdrive pulleys when you try and run above 9-10PSI.... twice....

I'm very impressed with the quality of the Carmen's pulleys.
Old 11/27/09, 09:30 AM

As a heads up, for those of you who are considering going the pulley route, the largest pulley you can install on the TVS is 3.47". Anything bigger than that will require some very light grinding on the alternator bracket. I used a 3.75" pulley so I had to do the grinding. It is a very small amount, probably no more than 2-3mm...

With Carmens pulley upgrade you get a quick change hub which press fits onto the shaft...

Then the pulley itself bolts on to that. This means that anytime you want to swap pulleys for a different size, it is just a 5 minute job.

Marking the alternator bracket for grinding...

This is all you have to grind off...

And then this is how it looks when it is all bolted up after grinding...

As you can see, you just need to take enough off to give you a couple of millimetres clearance.

Andy.

Last edited by CaliSpecial; 11/27/09 at 09:31 AM.
Old 11/28/09, 04:03 PM
Former Vendor

That's awesome!!!
Old 11/29/09, 06:28 AM
Cobra Member

The pulleys look great.
Old 11/29/09, 08:55 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
Love the pulleys!
Old 11/30/09, 12:35 PM

Carmen's bling is the bomb!
Old 12/5/09, 10:53 PM

I guess all that r&d RJmachine did with you was all for not! Dont hold your breath Carmen with him using your pulleys either.
http://rjmachine.com

Originally Posted by TillmanSpeed
Thanks fellers!

jodadejSS06GT, we're probably gonna update our Tillman Speed kit we sell online to use these Carmen's pulleys. Nastystang113 can show you what happens to underdrive pulleys when you try and run above 9-10PSI.... twice....

I'm very impressed with the quality of the Carmen's pulleys.