GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Roush Stage 3 Suspension kit.

Search this Thread

Old 10/9/08, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roush Stage 3 Suspension kit.

Hello all,

I am going to lower my car and would like a couple suggestions. I am thinking about getting a Roush Stage 3 suspension kit. I can pick it up for $1000.00. Brand new kit. I just got a brand new set of Roush 18x10 rims. I am planning on using 305/35/18 in the rear, so I want to make sure I don't hit the fender. The Roush kit drops the car 1" all the way around. I would like to see the car with a little more drop in the rear to level it out. I also plan on installing a set of Steeda upper mounts at the same time. I also plan on getting a good set of lower and upper control arms. I am leaning toward BMR right this minute. At some point I plan on installing a FAYS2 Watts linkage. But to get started what do you guys think of the Roush Stage 3 kit? Same one used on the BlackJack.

http://store.roushperformance.com/detail.aspx?ID=1145
Old 10/11/08, 09:18 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

You sound like me a year age! I installed the ROUSH Stage 3 suspension on a Stage 1 ROUSH (pictured below). I like the suspension upgrade I think it lowered the front by about a 1/2 inch and 1 inch in the back. For me I want to lower the car just a bit more maybe another 1/2 inch in the front and 1 to 3/4 inch in the rear. To do this I am going to get the ROUSH coilover system used on the ROUSH TracPak. I would have done this from the start but the coilovers weren't available then. I would go with the JDM/Saleen Watts link system over Fays. This is what I have on my car also, I love it! I don't like how the Fays clamps on to your differential. JDM/Saleen has this down, and they actually make a 2nd generation version now. I have 18 X 10 ROUSH rims all around no issues using BFG KD 275-40 all around. I want to go bigger out back but BFG doesn't make a KD in 40 larger than 275. 305 should fit nice back there.

Jed

Last edited by JedCranium; 10/11/08 at 09:25 PM.
Old 10/12/08, 07:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Allow me to add a different perspective. I recently drove a Roush 428R at a dealer that was desperate to get rid of them. The first one I was going to drive, a 427R, had a dead battery from sitting on the lot so long. However, my point is that the Roush had the most uncomfortable ride I have ever experienced. I suspect it was the damper tuning. I would strongly suggest you get Tokico D-Specs so that you can adjust the level of dampening to suit your own personal preference. The Roush dampers are probably fine for a racetrack but I would drive the one I test drove over a cliff rather than put up with that degree of harshness on a day to day basis.
Old 10/17/08, 12:52 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by 65sohc
Allow me to add a different perspective. I recently drove a Roush 428R at a dealer that was desperate to get rid of them. The first one I was going to drive, a 427R, had a dead battery from sitting on the lot so long. However, my point is that the Roush had the most uncomfortable ride I have ever experienced. I suspect it was the damper tuning. I would strongly suggest you get Tokico D-Specs so that you can adjust the level of dampening to suit your own personal preference. The Roush dampers are probably fine for a racetrack but I would drive the one I test drove over a cliff rather than put up with that degree of harshness on a day to day basis.
FYI Tokico D Specs have their issues as well:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showpo...44&postcount=1

For Chuck the best thing you can do is try to test drive cars with the ride to like and see how they achieved it. Hopefully then you can make an objective decision. One man's rough ride maybe another man's admiration in the twisties or track. Most of us don't have that luxury of having multiple rides for different driving conditions so you do have to find that middle ground to get overall satisfaction.

Jed
Old 10/17/08, 10:27 AM
Cobra Member

I have Steeda sports and D-specs, and couldn't be happier (for a long time now, with absolutely zero issues). The adjustability has come in very handy (just wish I could do it from the cockpit )

If I was going to go all-out on coilovers, I would probably do the Teins because of the EDFC. But, staying under a grand, I would certainly recommend the D-Specs with your spring of choice. You just never know who setup the spring/damper rates and what they were going for.