GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Roush Mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 3/15/15, 09:06 AM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Roush Mufflers

Just got these and had them put on yesterday. I'm surprised at how quiet they are.

Mustang Axle Back Exhaust GT, Off-Road (2005-2009)

Anybody have any experience with these? Does the volume change over time? My headers and midpipe are stock. Just wondering what Roush did with the exhausts for the 05-09 model years. Has to be more than just axlebacks.
Old 3/15/15, 04:53 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by sid719e
Just got these and had them put on yesterday. I'm surprised at how quiet they are.

Mustang Axle Back Exhaust GT, Off-Road (2005-2009)

Anybody have any experience with these? Does the volume change over time? My headers and midpipe are stock. Just wondering what Roush did with the exhausts for the 05-09 model years. Has to be more than just axlebacks.
not sure tbh but... how quiet? did you convert from stock?
Old 3/15/15, 06:46 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Fear
not sure tbh but... how quiet? did you convert from stock?
Still have stock headers and stock h-pipe. The only thing different are the Roush mufflers. My brother has a '13 5.0 and put a set on and they're exactly the sound I'm looking for. I order them (albeit for the 05-09 model years) and they sound COMPLETELY different. I understand that he's got a different engine, but I've read multiple posts that discuss how loud they are. Mine state that they are "Mustang GT Offroad Exhaust Kit". Is it possible that these are more "muffled" because it's expecting me to have an offroad mid-pipe and that's why it's so quiet with the stock catted h-pipe? Don't get me wrong, the tone is phenomenal, it sounds great. Just not the volume that I want.

Last edited by sid719e; 3/15/15 at 06:47 PM.
Old 3/25/15, 09:09 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have had them on my car. They do give a great sound. The only drawback to them, that a lot of people (myself included ) didn't care for, was some drone at certain highway speeds. For me, it was in the 60 -65 MPH range. These off road mufflers usually came in the trunk when you bought a new Roush Mustang 05 -09. The stock Ford Mustang mufflers were left on the cars from Roush, but could be easily changed out by the selling dealer or the purchaser. I had them on my car until Roush came out with the Roush Extreme exhaust....which completely eliminates the mufflers and replaces them with resonators. The Extreme eliminates the drone and sounds fantastic.