GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

roots s/c question

Search this Thread

Old 4/24/06, 02:24 AM
TMS West Coast Correspondent

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok what I want to know is how these s/cs are changing the sound of the car other than the added bad **** sound of the s/c itself. since they replace the manifolds does it change that sweet old school rumble sound that the car comes with? does anyone have sound or vid clips of their cars in action with these s/cs on them? Id love to hear/see them. thanks.
Old 4/24/06, 05:59 AM
Legacy TMS Member

you dont want a roots type anyway. ask any of the cobra guys. first mod was to get rid of the roots type s/c and go with a twin screw
Old 4/24/06, 06:15 AM
Bullitt Member

Either way, you only hear the whine from the engine bay (at least what I've heard). If you're behind the car - which is where most of your competitors will end up being - they'll think it's some super-fast n/a Mustang.
Old 4/24/06, 07:46 AM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(94tbird @ April 24, 2006, 7:02 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
you dont want a roots type anyway. ask any of the cobra guys. first mod was to get rid of the roots type s/c and go with a twin screw
[/b][/quote]

Not entirely true - there are Eaton Cobras in the 10s. Turbos have a tendency to muffle the exhaust since they are in the exhaust stream, and superchargers (regardless of type) amplifly the sound of the exhaust.
Old 4/24/06, 09:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not all blowers whine loudly... my Kenne Bell runs pretty quiet. And it didn't seem to affect the exhaust sound that much. There are vids with KB blower (and Magnaflows) at the link below... even one from in car:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=44238
Old 4/24/06, 10:44 AM

wow don your car is so quiet inside the car in that one vid, you cant hear the KB at all, how much boost you running?

and roots or twin screw, doesnt matter they both replace the manifold right? so what I want to know is how doing that with an SC changes the sound of the car. Ive heard the centrifigals in person but want to know how the rest of the SC world is changing the sound.

thanks again.
Old 4/24/06, 11:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

I think you hear the whine IN FRONT of the car, not behind......

and the kenne bell is REALLY quiet inperson. that was kind of a let down to me, becuase I had hopes of getting one, but I want that whine, and I want it loud. I like it loud!
Old 4/24/06, 11:17 AM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(emperorjordan @ April 24, 2006, 12:15 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

and the kenne bell is REALLY quiet inperson. that was kind of a let down to me, becuase I had hopes of getting one, but I want that whine, and I want it loud. I like it loud!
[/b][/quote]

The Eatons sound the best to me in terms of the whine associated with them. I have owned several Vortechs before they started making quiet ones and those sounded awful to me. Anything is better than that! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
Old 4/24/06, 11:22 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rrobello @ April 24, 2006, 9:47 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
wow don your car is so quiet inside the car in that one vid, you cant hear the KB at all, how much boost you running?[/b][/quote]
That was with the 8psi pulley.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(emperorjordan @ April 24, 2006, 10:15 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

[/b][/quote]
It may be that it will get louder as time goes on, but I don't know for sure... I only ran it for a month before the motor let go.
Old 4/24/06, 11:33 AM
GT Member

My Saleen is quiet at idle & cruise, and whines some when I push it. The biggest change is a much louder induction howl @ WOT.
Old 4/24/06, 12:10 PM

cool, but how is the exhaust one and the cool old school rumble/popping the car has, does this change at all with replacing the manifold

I TOO LOVE THE WHINE OF AN SC!!!!!! I just want it combined with the deep rumble of the car.
Old 4/24/06, 12:13 PM

I can't honestly say I noticed any change in the exhaust sound when the twin screw went on.
Old 4/24/06, 12:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rrobello @ April 24, 2006, 12:13 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
cool, but how is the exhaust one and the cool old school rumble/popping the car has, does this change at all with replacing the manifold

I TOO LOVE THE WHINE OF AN SC!!!!!! I just want it combined with the deep rumble of the car.
[/b][/quote]

I forgot to mention this in the Roushcharger post......yes, mine (an Eaton) does change the sound....it's deeper, there's more "old school" rumble to it. But it's not louder. You can detect the deeper sound from both the motor and the exhaust when you're under throttle. I've got FRP stingers so those just add to the pleasure. Having said that, it'd be hard to detect the difference through a recording. But trust me, it's there. I was pleasantly surprised because when I compared the "all closed up" Roushcharger to the "open" criss-crossing manifold design, I figured that the sound would change for the quieter. But it didn't. Again, it's not louder....just deeper. Le'me compare it to a stereo setting; adding the R-charger was like turning down the treble and cranking up the bass a bit.

Hope that helps - Mark
Old 4/24/06, 02:33 PM

thanks guys thats exactly what I wanted to hear, perfect, now all I need now is for that darn whipple to come out, I was gonna get one anyways, I just wanted reassurance on the sound bit, thanks.
Old 4/24/06, 06:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

sorry to hijack this thread, but hey don, did you get trumpets when you ran open headers?
Old 4/24/06, 06:57 PM

Nope... just one badhiney sound! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/drool.gif[/img]
Old 4/24/06, 07:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

I am thinking of going with long tubes, and then dumps right there. haha, so it will be like the O/R SLP without the trumpets im hoping. and with the cams it should sound MEAN. and i should get pleanty of that smell I love in the cabin!!
Old 4/24/06, 08:02 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(emperorjordan @ April 24, 2006, 6:55 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I am thinking of going with long tubes, and then dumps right there. haha, so it will be like the O/R SLP without the trumpets im hoping. and with the cams it should sound MEAN. and i should get pleanty of that smell I love in the cabin!!
[/b][/quote]

I'm installing cutouts. They won't be too far behind the collectors. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 4/24/06, 11:19 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(don_w @ April 24, 2006, 9:05 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I'm installing cutouts. They won't be too far behind the collectors. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

which ones are you going with? Ive seen a couple, or are you getting this custom done?
Old 4/24/06, 11:28 PM

Semi-custom. I actually ordered a set of FlowTech Y-pipes, but they wont work the way I want them too. So, I'm going to have Y welded in to fit best. Then I bought the electric cutout gates, and I have a switch on the dash to open/shut them in like 3 seconds. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: roots s/c question