GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Rims and Tires

Search this Thread

Old 3/8/06, 09:12 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I'm ready to order my new wheels. Going classic but semi-modern look with 18x9 front and 18x10 rear Deep Dish Chrome Bullitts. My question is on the tire choices. Should I go with a 245/45 front and 275/40 rear and lower the overall Gear ratio a bit? How much better performance could I expect out of this combo over the stock combo? Or should I go with a 255/45 and 285/40 combo and stick to an equal stock tire OD? If I go slightly smaller will I get an Error code/light like I've heard about or is it to small a difference? If I remember right, the smaller combo is at 26.7" and the stock and larger combo is at 27"

And one more question for everyone. What tire choice should I go with? I eventually want to lower the car with either Eibach Pro Kit Springs or (if I can afford it) an Eibach Pro Kit Plus suspension pkg. which includes shocks, springs, and anti-roll bars. Either way, I'll be getting a camber kit for the front to straighten out the alignment and a BMR Adj. Panhard rod for the rear. Now I don't want to spend an arm or a leg on these tires mind you so I am looking at either the PZero Nero M+S or BFG NT KDW2's for the 285/255 combo's. I'd like the tires to last a decent amount because I can't afford to replace tires every year.

I REALLY NEED HELP HERE GUYS!!! I'm ready to order but just can't make up my mind on the tires. PLEASE HELP!!!! And thanks in advance for any and ALL suggestions.

George
Old 3/8/06, 11:01 PM
Bullitt Member

kdws's are "snow tires" (j/k)

but they work fairly good and will last forever ( my 06 gt came with 235/50/18 kdws's ) and i have 250 miles on them at the track and a total of 879 miles on the car.

they still look brand new, breasts and all.

if your not going racing then id say go for the kdws's( besides that the cost is way less than the other bfg's)

and they look to last a long time!!!

jay
Old 3/9/06, 12:10 PM
V6 Member

I also keep hearing about the best combo for our GT's being 275/40/18's all the way around. Should I go that route and just stick to 18x9 bullits all the way around? If this combo works, I'd be able to rotate all the tires as well and probably get a few more months of tire life out of them too.

Now, for those who don't know, I am a handling type of guy. Especially since trading in my Focus SVT in for the Stang here so if anyone knows what I am talking about, they can understand my dilema. Old school looks or handling advantage? I have a feeling that the 275/40 combo all the way around is the way to go for handling. In fact, another post shows Steeda recommending that combo with a max of Steeda sport springs to lower the car just a bit for a good handling street car.

Man am I confused! Please give me some suggestions. Thanks everyone!
Old 3/9/06, 03:30 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SVTJackl @ March 9, 2006, 2:13 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I also keep hearing about the best combo for our GT's being 275/40/18's all the way around. Should I go that route and just stick to 18x9 bullits all the way around? If this combo works, I'd be able to rotate all the tires as well and probably get a few more months of tire life out of them too.

Now, for those who don't know, I am a handling type of guy. Especially since trading in my Focus SVT in for the Stang here so if anyone knows what I am talking about, they can understand my dilema. Old school looks or handling advantage? I have a feeling that the 275/40 combo all the way around is the way to go for handling. In fact, another post shows Steeda recommending that combo with a max of Steeda sport springs to lower the car just a bit for a good handling street car.

[/b][/quote]

i am purchasing the same rims as you------------------i am going 18x9 all the way around, 275/40 all the way around-----------------you can always buy 2 18x10's down the line---- [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] -----mustang tuning has those for $149/each by the way through march--the rims w/ the necessary spacer-------
Old 3/9/06, 04:10 PM
V6 Member

Well...there's 1 vote for same all around. Anyone else have any suggestions?
Old 3/9/06, 11:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SVTJackl @ March 9, 2006, 11:13 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

[/b][/quote]

with a 10 inch rim I'd go with at least a 285, probably a 295. your 275 up front is probably getting a bit tight.
Old 3/12/06, 07:26 AM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SVTJackl @ March 8, 2006, 11:15 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Well, I'm ready to order my new wheels. Going classic but semi-modern look with 18x9 front and 18x10 rear Deep Dish Chrome Bullitts. My question is on the tire choices. Should I go with a 245/45 front and 275/40 rear and lower the overall Gear ratio a bit? How much better performance could I expect out of this combo over the stock combo? Or should I go with a 255/45 and 285/40 combo and stick to an equal stock tire OD? If I go slightly smaller will I get an Error code/light like I've heard about or is it to small a difference? If I remember right, the smaller combo is at 26.7" and the stock and larger combo is at 27"

And one more question for everyone. What tire choice should I go with? I eventually want to lower the car with either Eibach Pro Kit Springs or (if I can afford it) an Eibach Pro Kit Plus suspension pkg. which includes shocks, springs, and anti-roll bars. Either way, I'll be getting a camber kit for the front to straighten out the alignment and a BMR Adj. Panhard rod for the rear. Now I don't want to spend an arm or a leg on these tires mind you so I am looking at either the PZero Nero M+S or BFG NT KDW2's for the 285/255 combo's. I'd like the tires to last a decent amount because I can't afford to replace tires every year.

I REALLY NEED HELP HERE GUYS!!! I'm ready to order but just can't make up my mind on the tires. PLEASE HELP!!!! And thanks in advance for any and ALL suggestions.

George
[/b][/quote]

Hey

As far as tire/wheel height is concerned, you want to stay as close to mfg's o.e. overall height as possible but as long as you are within 3% you will be ok.

If you go for a staggered fitment, you obviously reduce your ability to properly rotate and ensure even wear. If you go directional and staggered you basically can forget rotation. BFG gforce KDW-2 is a directional tire.

Directional tires are superior at wet weather traction than non directional.

Pzero Nero m+s are ultra high performance all-season tires. Any all season tire will not be as good in the wet and dry as a superior summer tire. You will give up handling with an all season tire but you will increase tread life and ride comfort.

Any one tire cannot do everything well so you have to decide what is important to you.

I have the gforce kdw-2 tire and I really like them. I also have a staggered fitment. They don't look traditional so if you a more normal looking tire that is a great summer performer take a look at Bridgestone Potenza S-03 Pole Position, Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 or the Yokohama ADVAN Sport.
Old 3/12/06, 03:17 PM
GT Member

I am going with the roush 18 x 10 all around