GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Resinators

Search this Thread

Old 1/17/07, 03:52 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dustindu4
I just got SLP Loudmouths to use with my offroad H. I'm going to give the dynomax race mufflers a try since some other people tried that combo and liked it. Plus they're cheaper.
It will get rid of the trumpets! Good choice.
Old 1/17/07, 04:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tom281
Information like that is why I'm considering resonators too; thanks!

My only problem is, no one has been able to tell me how different the offroad H with resonators is compared to a hiflow catted midpipe like my Bassani. However it seems like the offroad & resonator combo would make more power due to not having cats- darn it, now I may have to try the resonators. Man, you guys are not helping my blower fund.......

Hey Tom,
I would like your honest opinion of your present exhaust setup. If I remember correctly you are now running your Pypes offroad H-pipe, Borla over the axle pipes, and the Borla Stingers. If I am correct than I would ask you...Does it seem to be loud and on the harsh side?? My experience is that it is and this is why you are looking at the resonators. I would also think the trumpets are pretty bad also. I think the resonators will take the edge of your present setup. If you want to try the resonators weld them on your stock over the axle pipes first to see if it what you are looking for. If so they should be easily cut off and added to your Borla pipes. I will even donate my stock over the axle pipes to the learning process. What do ya say? I will even bring them to you.
Scott
Old 1/18/07, 06:40 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Hey Scott-

I'm supposed to pickup my Bassani X at the shop later tonight. I'll try to remember to ask them about resonators again and what they charge to do it.

With my current setup as you described above, overall I like how it sounds but it does trumpet (as expected) and is a tad too loud. I doubt that my setup sounds much different than yours when you had the offroad legs on. Also, I kinda feel like I've lost some lowend pull, but gained alittle topend. Maybe its just my imagination, but that's what it feels like.

Hey by the way, when are your GTAs arriving?
Old 1/18/07, 03:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Hey Scott-

I'm supposed to pickup my Bassani X at the shop later tonight. I'll try to remember to ask them about resonators again and what they charge to do it.

With my current setup as you described above, overall I like how it sounds but it does trumpet (as expected) and is a tad too loud. I doubt that my setup sounds much different than yours when you had the offroad legs on. Also, I kinda feel like I've lost some lowend pull, but gained alittle topend. Maybe its just my imagination, but that's what it feels like.

Hey by the way, when are your GTAs arriving?
The GTA's left Higgins Texas today and are scheduled for Friday if the ice storm does mess it up. You know I thought when I was running the offroad legs with the Borla's that it lost a little bit on the low end. Since I have the stockers back on it acts like it is back. I think a little bit of backpressure helps low end torque. Keep us in the loop on your trials. I hope mine comes to a end here real soon with MY perfect exhaust!!!
Scott
Old 1/18/07, 03:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I got the Bassani X back today- cost me $5 to have it welded. If I get some time tonight, I'll get it put back on.

I talked to the shop about the resonators. They have all different kinds and recommended some 12" units to me for like $28 a piece. The manager said he had the same problem on this Dodge truck- took the cats off, and get a bad "cackle" in the mid-rpm range. Said he installed resonators, and it took the cackle right out, without losing any noticeable power. I told him I'd get back to him after I reinstall my X.
Old 1/19/07, 05:59 AM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey I just noticed in those pictures how close the resonators are to the gas tanks. That might make me worried to be honest. Maybe you can wrap them in header tape?
Old 1/19/07, 06:29 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I thought about that too. I was thinking of having them installed on my Pypes H instead of the axle pipes........ I don't know.
Old 1/19/07, 07:01 AM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think they have to be installed after the H crossover to fix the trumpets but I'm not sure. don't quote me on that.
Old 1/19/07, 07:30 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by dustindu4
I think they have to be installed after the H crossover to fix the trumpets but I'm not sure. don't quote me on that.

That's what I've heard too, but who knows. I have a Bassani X with removeable cats also- with the cats, no trumpeting; without the cats, big trumpeting. So I was hoping I could put the resonators about where the cats are and have the same effect? I may try it out- can't hurt anything.
Old 1/19/07, 04:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Anything new to report on your Bassani x-pipe???? Looks like my GTA are stuck in Texas.
Old 1/19/07, 05:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I reinstalled the Bassani X with cats last night. Dam it- I sound like a woman but "I just feel conflicted" about the results. Short pros and cons:

Pros:
  • no trumpeting
  • reduced drone
  • volume is very tolerable
  • seems to have gained some more low-end pull
Cons:
  • no "attitude"- sounds more like a normal exhaust system sounds
  • lost that "wow" factor- again, no attitude
  • seems to rev slower at the top of the RPM range- lost some topend pull
  • overall, the X just sounds different than the H and I don't know if I'm happy about that or not
I'm gonna have to try the resonators just to see how they sound. It will be a week or so because the shop is doing header installs for Lingenfelter next week. (long story). After that, if I'm still not happy, I'm going to surrender and focus my energy elsewhere......
Old 1/21/07, 08:21 AM
GT Member

[quote=tom281;823995]I reinstalled the Bassani X with cats last night. Dam it- I sound like a woman but "I just feel conflicted" about the results. Short pros and cons:

Pros:
  • no trumpeting
  • reduced drone
  • volume is very tolerable
  • seems to have gained some more low-end pull
Cons:
  • no "attitude"- sounds more like a normal exhaust system sounds
  • lost that "wow" factor- again, no attitude
  • seems to rev slower at the top of the RPM range- lost some topend pull
  • overall, the X just sounds different than the H and I don't know if I'm happy about that or not
The cats make a lot of restriction that's why you dont have the trumps. But on the other side the sound is cut big time.

I have the FRPP's and the O/R h-pipe and the resonator and it's still very loud and agressive!

Before I put on the resonators is was screaming at all rpm's and with trumpets big time. But now overall it's loud no TRUMPS little drone and still very agressive.
Old 1/21/07, 09:48 AM
Legacy TMS Member

OK I'll give them a shot when I get time. Thanks!
Old 1/23/07, 08:27 PM

A Couple weeks ago i threw on a MAC O/R X-pipe and with my SLP Loudmouths and I probably got the best gas milage ever because i was too scared to get on the gas and tip off the police to my not quite being street legal. I mean it was ridiculous and from what im reading on this thread it had the trumpet sound, just a loud dirty BLAH. SO i put my stock mufflers back on and it sounded weak so I ordered up a Magnaflow axleback and it sounded marginally better than stock. IM really in withdrawl from my SLPs.

If im reading this right I can put the SLPs back on and have a couple resonators/race mufflers put on to quite it down a little but mostly to cut out the raspy trumpeting? Overall will it be louder than before but without the harshness?
Old 1/23/07, 09:13 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by POWERS
A Couple weeks ago i threw on a MAC O/R X-pipe and with my SLP Loudmouths and I probably got the best gas milage ever because i was too scared to get on the gas and tip off the police to my not quite being street legal. I mean it was ridiculous and from what im reading on this thread it had the trumpet sound, just a loud dirty BLAH. SO i put my stock mufflers back on and it sounded weak so I ordered up a Magnaflow axleback and it sounded marginally better than stock. IM really in withdrawl from my SLPs.

If im reading this right I can put the SLPs back on and have a couple resonators/race mufflers put on to quite it down a little but mostly to cut out the raspy trumpeting? Overall will it be louder than before but without the harshness?
It won't be louder than just the offroad x and slp but it will def be louder than the stock muffs. If you want the real solution just get a set of frpp/stingers and you will be straight
Old 1/24/07, 12:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by RACING GT
I have the FRPP's and the O/R h-pipe and the resonator and it's still very loud and agressive!

Before I put on the resonators is was screaming at all rpm's and with trumpets big time. But now overall it's loud no TRUMPS little drone and still very agressive.
I have the same setup and that description is right on. Still loud, still mean, no drone, no trumpets.

I do have a slight tick from the Pypes O/R H that I have not gotten around to welding yet. Other than that, I think I have found my exhaust. Best of all, swapping the stock H back in for inspections will be quick and easy.
Old 1/24/07, 03:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

what resonators did you use? What brand, length, etc.
Old 1/24/07, 05:25 PM
GT Member

what resonators did you use? What brand, length, etc.
Dynomax 12" "BULLET/RESONATORS".
Old 1/25/07, 07:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by RACING GT
Dynomax 12" "BULLET/RESONATORS".
Same here.
Old 1/25/07, 07:49 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
jeeze, seems like there is always something new

Quick Reply: Resinators