GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Resinators

Search this Thread

Old 1/13/07, 10:12 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
You'd have to cut up you pretty Borla over the axle pipes. That's what stopped me. My stock H-pipe is already trashed so I didn't want to ruin more stuff if I didn't like the resonator sound there was no going back.
What do you mean cut up the borlas Scott??
Old 1/13/07, 10:15 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Originally Posted by STANG_IT
They only quieted the exhaust by a couple of db's. I have the 12" x 2.5" stainless. I welded them on the cat back pipes about 6 - 8" past the h-pipe clamps.
Do you think the resinators made the exhaust more quiet than the stock cat's?
Old 1/13/07, 10:30 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 2005sonicBOOST
What do you mean cut up the borlas Scott??
Tom218 and I both have the Borla catback system meaning that we have the 304 SS pipes that go over the axle and the Borla Stingers together. They attach to the H-pipe in the middle of the car. Or in my case to the Mac Prochamber. If he were to add the resonators to his system they should go in after his offroad H -pipe. This means he would need to cut off 12" from his Borla pipes not the mufflers. If he doesn't like the result he still has the stock over the axle pipes to fall back on but they are 410 SS and aren't as smooth flowing as the Borla pipes
Scott
Old 1/13/07, 10:34 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Tom218 and I both have the Borla catback system meaning that we have the 304 SS pipes that go over the axle and the Borla Stingers together. They attach to the H-pipe in the middle of the car. Or in my case to the Mac Prochamber. If he were to add the resonators to his system they should go in after his offroad H -pipe. This means he would need to cut off 12" from his Borla pipes not the mufflers. If he doesn't like the result he still has the stock over the axle pipes to fall back on but they are 410 SS and aren't as smooth flowing as the Borla pipes
Scott
oh ok
Old 1/13/07, 10:34 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Yep...... .....what he said.
Old 1/13/07, 04:08 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you think the resinators made the exhaust more quiet than the stock cat's?
I have the resonators, not cats, and the Borla's. There is a slight difference in the low rpm's but WOT it's very much the same. It sound deeper with the resonators.
Old 1/13/07, 04:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by RACING GT
I have the resonators, not cats, and the Borla's. There is a slight difference in the low rpm's but WOT it's very much the same. It sound deeper with the resonators.

Got any drone, buzzes, etc.?
Old 1/13/07, 07:33 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by tom281
Got any drone, buzzes, etc.?
Well the drone is very much gone. Just the stingers and the cats the drone at around 1800 rpm was bad, and without the cats it was still there but burried into the massive flow of sound. The resonators reduce greatly the drone.
Old 1/14/07, 04:51 AM
Legacy TMS Member

[quote=RACING GT;819506]

"burried into the massive flow of sound."

I think you mean it is just plain loud...right?
Scott
Old 1/14/07, 07:50 AM
GT Member

[quote=70MACH1OWNER;819721]
Originally Posted by RACING GT

"burried into the massive flow of sound."

I think you mean it is just plain loud...right?
Scott
That's right, just plain loud!!!
Old 1/15/07, 04:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Tom281... Are you considering going with the reasonators with your offroad H pipe and Borla catback system?? I am sure others would like to know if they will truely knock down on the Borla drone and harshness of running the offroad H pipe. You seemed interested in the theory the other day.
Scott
Old 1/15/07, 04:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Tom281... Are you considering going with the reasonators with your offroad H pipe and Borla catback system?? I am sure others would like to know if they will truely knock down on the Borla drone and harshness of running the offroad H pipe. You seemed interested in the theory the other day.
Scott
I am considering, but I'm waiting to get my modified Bassani X back from the shop first. I want to see how it sounds without the leaks that I had around the welds.

Also, I'm not excited about having the resonators welded inplace, incase I don't like them.... what I may do, as crazy as it sounds, is look for some that are the same length as the cats on my Bassani X. Since I can remove the cats and swap in the offroad pipes, maybe I can do the same with resonators and swap them in to see if I like them? Crazy idea I know, but it would be cool if it worked.
Old 1/15/07, 04:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by tom281
I am considering, but I'm waiting to get my modified Bassani X back from the shop first. I want to see how it sounds without the leaks that I had around the welds.

Also, I'm not excited about having the resonators welded inplace, incase I don't like them.... what I may do, as crazy as it sounds, is look for some that are the same length as the cats on my Bassani X. Since I can remove the cats and swap in the offroad pipes, maybe I can do the same with resonators and swap them in to see if I like them? Crazy idea I know, but it would be cool if it worked.

Your a thinking man I can tell. Good idea!! Keep us posted please.
Scott
Old 1/15/07, 04:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Your a thinking man I can tell. Good idea!! Keep us posted please.
Scott
Will do........ I just ran out to the garage and measured the offroad pipes. I'll probably put a plan together incase I don't like the modified X. I'll have to have the resonators modified, because the race pipes / cats are the slip-in style: one side is 2.5", the other is enlarged to accept 2.5" pipe into them. ****, it's never easy.......
Old 1/15/07, 05:53 PM
GT Member

Scott
I don't know why I just now saw this thread, but I have an O/R H (Pypes) with the FRPP Stingers (same as Borlas'). I had resonators welded in probably 2 days after I installed the H pipe. I couldn't stand the drone and trumpets at all, I was about ready to pull the H pipe right back off. I read about the resonators online and went ahead and did it. I am more than pleased with it now. Before, it was definately louder and more raw sounding. Now, it's not quite as loud at idle or partial throttle, it's still a beast at WOT, but more refined, in my opinion. Every single person that heard it before and after (including my 2 friends that helped me install it that are mustangs guys) like it so much more after I had the resonators installed. The best thing is the trumpets are completely gone. Drone is gone as well, except for cruising in 4th or 5th at very slow speeds and then trying to accelerate quickly. Even then it's not NEAR as bad.

Oh yeah, I have a couple of sound clips in my sig, they aren't under load, but it'll give you an idea of what they sound like.
Old 1/15/07, 05:57 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Information like that is why I'm considering resonators too; thanks!

My only problem is, no one has been able to tell me how different the offroad H with resonators is compared to a hiflow catted midpipe like my Bassani. However it seems like the offroad & resonator combo would make more power due to not having cats- darn it, now I may have to try the resonators. Man, you guys are not helping my blower fund.......
Old 1/15/07, 06:02 PM
GT Member

No problem!

I'd be insterested in hearing the difference between the hi-flow cats and the resonators myself. That's funny about the S/C fund though, I keep trying to start one, but everytime I do, I find something else I HAVE to have lol!
Old 1/15/07, 09:46 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Originally Posted by ScottM
I don't know why I just now saw this thread, but I have an O/R H (Pypes) with the FRPP Stingers (same as Borlas'). I had resonators welded in probably 2 days after I installed the H pipe. I couldn't stand the drone and trumpets at all, I was about ready to pull the H pipe right back off. I read about the resonators online and went ahead and did it. I am more than pleased with it now. Before, it was definately louder and more raw sounding. Now, it's not quite as loud at idle or partial throttle, it's still a beast at WOT, but more refined, in my opinion. Every single person that heard it before and after (including my 2 friends that helped me install it that are mustangs guys) like it so much more after I had the resonators installed. The best thing is the trumpets are completely gone. Drone is gone as well, except for cruising in 4th or 5th at very slow speeds and then trying to accelerate quickly. Even then it's not NEAR as bad.

Oh yeah, I have a couple of sound clips in my sig, they aren't under load, but it'll give you an idea of what they sound like.
That's good to hear Scott, what type and size resinators are you running
Old 1/16/07, 06:34 AM
GT Member

That's good to hear Scott, what type and size resinators are you running
To be quite honest, I didn't realize at the time of install that there are different sizes, so I'm not entirely sure what size they are. They look to be around 12", but I haven't measured. I believe they are the dynomax resonators/race mufflers. Here's a pic of them...

Old 1/16/07, 10:34 AM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just got SLP Loudmouths to use with my offroad H. I'm going to give the dynomax race mufflers a try since some other people tried that combo and liked it. Plus they're cheaper.

Quick Reply: Resinators