GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Resinators

Search this Thread

Old 1/11/07, 10:27 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow Resinators

I am debating on getting some resinators for my offroad prochamber. When I put the stock cat's back on to get emissions tested will the resinators effect emissions. Also, what are some good resinators???

-Adam
Old 1/11/07, 10:34 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The resinators will not affect your emissions, but more sound deaden, and add minimal backpressure. A nice resonator is made by Vibrant if you want to go stainless steel. I think they're just about 50 bucks a piece in stainless, 12" long, and 2.5" diameter. They help with the "raspy-ness"!
Old 1/12/07, 09:35 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Originally Posted by TillmanSpeed
The resinators will not affect your emissions, but more sound deaden, and add minimal backpressure. A nice resonator is made by Vibrant if you want to go stainless steel. I think they're just about 50 bucks a piece in stainless, 12" long, and 2.5" diameter. They help with the "raspy-ness"!
Thank's bud, no "raspy-ness" here
Old 1/12/07, 02:38 PM
Bullitt Member

I always saw resinators as another set of mufflers to dull the noise down.
Old 1/12/07, 06:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Think of how a typical vintage Mustang sounds, and then look up a diagram of their exhaust.
Old 1/12/07, 06:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 2005sonicBOOST
Thank's bud, no "raspy-ness" here

Adam,
When you get older you will think your setup sounds raspy. I only ran the Mac offroad Prochamber with Borla Stingers for 48 hrs. It had to go. To these 52 yr old ears it sounded raspy , loud and like poop!! Loud is not what a good exhaust sounds like. Trust me.
Scott
Old 1/12/07, 08:32 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
Adam,
When you get older you will think your setup sounds raspy. I only ran the Mac offroad Prochamber with Borla Stingers for 48 hrs. It had to go. To these 52 yr old ears it sounded raspy , loud and like poop!! Loud is not what a good exhaust sounds like. Trust me.
Scott
It took a few week's for the off road pipes to break in. I remember at first it sounded like an old school mustang and it had raspyness. It got deeper and more throaty but it's just too loud I think some resinators will do the job Scooot LOL
Old 1/12/07, 09:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by TillmanSpeed
+1 to Vibrant. I'm using them and my "trumpets" are history. Most of you probably seen my vid clip with them, but for those of you who haven't here ya go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bkV5xLRoi4
Old 1/12/07, 09:15 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Sound's really good, how much did the resinators mellow out the exhaust?
Old 1/12/07, 09:19 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

I want the 2.5 right. They have a 12" and an 18", which one? Also, where's a good place to order from?
Old 1/12/07, 09:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Sound's really good, how much did the resinators mellow out the exhaust?
I want the 2.5 right. They have a 12" and an 18", which one?
They only quieted the exhaust by a couple of db's. I have the 12" x 2.5" stainless. I welded them on the cat back pipes about 6 - 8" past the h-pipe clamps.
Old 1/12/07, 09:51 PM
Former Vendor

Go with the 12" for ease of installation. I have them in stock and can ship Monday morning. Let me know.

(610)497-5776 or 3736 ask for C.R.
Old 1/13/07, 04:14 AM
Legacy TMS Member

It took a few week's for the off road pipes to break in. I remember at first it sounded like an old school mustang and it had raspyness. It got deeper and more throaty but it's just too loud I think some resinators will do the job Scooot LOL

I also considered going with the resonators myself. That's when I decide to see what the stock muffs would sound like. They aren't bad. The new GTA's are on there way. If you do the resonators give us a before and after vid.
Scooot
Old 1/13/07, 04:28 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
These resonators have me tempted......... I hope I don't have to start another exhaust comparison thread!
Old 1/13/07, 04:49 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by tom281
These resonators have me tempted......... I hope I don't have to start another exhaust comparison thread!
You'd have to cut up you pretty Borla over the axle pipes. That's what stopped me. My stock H-pipe is already trashed so I didn't want to ruin more stuff. If I didn't like the resonator sound there was no going back.
Old 1/13/07, 04:52 AM
Legacy TMS Member

You'd have to cut up you pretty Borla over the axle pipes. That's what stopped me. My stock H-pipe is already trashed so I didn't want to ruin more stuff if I didn't like the resonator sound there was no going back.

Or I could cut up my $150 aluminized offroad H pipe........ C'mon Scott, you know I've already thought about it.
Old 1/13/07, 05:00 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Or I could cut up my $150 aluminized offroad H pipe........ C'mon Scott, you know I've already thought about it.

Oh I sure you have thought about it. You never stop. But I think it is best that resonators go behind the H-pipe for best condition.
Old 1/13/07, 05:03 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Oh I sure you have thought about it. You never stop. But I think it is best that resonators go behind the H-pipe for best condition.

Yeah, you're right. I have another experiment already under way anyhow. My catted Bassani X has been at a local fabrication shop since Monday........ I'm having it shortened, the welds at the X re-welded, and different outputs installed coming out of the X. I plan to try it with the Borlas again once its done.
Old 1/13/07, 05:17 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Yeah, you're right. I have another experiment already under way anyhow. My catted Bassani X has been at a local fabrication shop since Monday........ I'm having it shortened, the welds at the X re-welded, and different outputs installed coming out of the X. I plan to try it with the Borlas again once its done.
I assume you are shortening the front where the slip joints are. Are you going to keep it together with another set of slip clamps like behind the H-pipe? If so let me know how it works. The Mac Prochamber has the same joints and it's a bit@h to put on. Need a big hammer.
Old 1/13/07, 06:01 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I assume you are shortening the front where the slip joints are. Are you going to keep it together with another set of slip clamps like behind the H-pipe? If so let me know how it works. The Mac Prochamber has the same joints and it's a bit@h to put on. Need a big hammer.

Yep. My main problem has been all the press-in joint connections. I'm keeping most of them except for the outputs going to the over-axle pipes; those are going to be slip-clamps like the factory H pipe uses to the factory over-axle pipes.

I had found in all my previous experiments that with the X pipe and all those press-in or push-in joints, that there was not enough room on the hangers of the Borlas to slide them back enough to get the over-axle pipes out of the X. So, any time I wanted to change mid pipes, or even from the cats to the racepipes in the X, I had to remove the Borlas totally, force the axle pipes out of the X, then drop the whole X as one assembly. This got to be a bunch of crap because it took longer to do, and reinstalling it all meant having to also realign the Borla muffs so the tips were even. What a ***** it was!

Quick Reply: Resinators