GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Rear end gear lube leak!

Search this Thread

Old 7/11/05, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I took the car in becuase of a gear oil leak from the rear. I expected to hear it was the front pinion seal as I have had in other cars. To my surprise it was the rear pan leaking due to hard launches and twisting at the drag strip with slicks. The service tech informed me that Ford no longer uses gaskets on this pan, just sealer. He suggested a rearend girdle/cover for future problems. FYI: my car now has over 100 passes in the 1/4 mile on slicks with the stock clutch/trans/rearend, I experienced this problem about 90 passes into it, most of them being launches at 6500 rpm or better.
Old 7/11/05, 09:52 PM

6500 rpm's. Man, I want to run at that track. If I get on it more than 6000rpm's, my tires break loose.
Someone has bought a particular brand girdle, but it didn't fit. Mine fits, but rubs a little only on hard launches. I forget what brand it is, but once I get my car back, I'll see and post pics.
Are you going to the 05 Mustang shootout in Columbus, OH in Sept? It's a NMRA event but will have the shootout as well. Strict rules apply.
http://www.nmraracing.com/news/070105/default.htm
Old 7/11/05, 10:33 PM

[Are you going to the 05 Mustang shootout in Columbus, OH in Sept? It's a NMRA event but will have the shootout as well. Strict rules apply.
http://www.nmraracing.com/news/070105/default.htm
[/quote]

Wow, that might be a little far for me to travel with 2 kids and leaving a dog/salt water fish for the neighbors to care for. I am interested in taking a shot at that N/A record though, after some suspension upgrades of course.
Old 1/30/06, 08:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by dhof303@July 11, 2005, 10:49 PM
I took the car in becuase of a gear oil leak from the rear. I expected to hear it was the front pinion seal as I have had in other cars. To my surprise it was the rear pan leaking due to hard launches and twisting at the drag strip with slicks. The service tech informed me that Ford no longer uses gaskets on this pan, just sealer. He suggested a rearend girdle/cover for future problems. FYI: my car now has over 100 passes in the 1/4 mile on slicks with the stock clutch/trans/rearend, I experienced this problem about 90 passes into it, most of them being launches at 6500 rpm or better.
I'd like to bring this topic back up. I found that my rear end was leaking (no pun intended) over the weekend. Brought it to the dealer and it is indeed the front pinion seal. The service technician was like..."you drive it pretty hard don't you" I say, "It's never been to the track....but it's a f*ckin' Mustang, what do you expect? I'm going to drive it how it should be driven" Anyways, he tells me he's never seen black gear lube coming out of a car with 16k miles on it.

Then he starts talking about how if the gears are messed up it will be hard to get Ford to pay for it. So you can now see veins popping in my temple. It drives smooth as silk, so I know that's not the issue.

I hate it when people make assumptions.
Old 1/30/06, 07:01 PM

I think he is just trying to get rid of you, there isn't a TSB out on this problem, at least not yet. Therefore his rate of reimbursement from Ford is likely to be less than what he would like. If their shop is busy then this is likely the cause, be persistent and take it in, it's new and it leaks. That shouldn't happen to anyone, now if you drove it in with slicks and numbers on the window they might hesitate, but that is just plain stupid.

BTW, gear oil turns black coming from the front pinion seal inherently because it is exposed to dirt/grime from the road surface as you drive it.

Take it back or take it somewhere else if that is an option, you can tell this guy is going to to a half-**** job anyway from his attitude.

Be sure and let us know how it turns out. Good Luck,
Derek