GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Re-Installing Front Strut Assemblies

Search this Thread

Old 10/28/06, 02:18 PM
GTR Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re-Installing Front Strut Assemblies

When installing the front strut assembly back up into the strut tower, do any of you worry about WHERE the 4 studs end up in the 4 holes?

There is quite a bit of slop and the 4 studs can be centered in the 4 holes, pulled toward the fender, pushed toward the engine, etc, etc.

This may be a silly question, but it is never addressed. Usually in write-ups, people just put the 4 studs in the holes, and tighten down the nuts.

I'm about to order these, so I'm about to go through it all again:

https://www.rpmoutlet.com/ezRetail/s...hp?msg_id=1085

Am I being nuts?
Old 10/28/06, 04:15 PM
Bullitt Member

I put springs in my car last month and thought it was surprisingly easy. I just eye-balled the whole thing to what seemed to be center. I really don't think it makes much difference though.
Old 10/29/06, 11:20 AM
GTR Member

Thanks...

Anybody else? I'm just surprised at the amount of slop with those 4 studs... maybe it's not as much as I think.
Old 10/29/06, 12:24 PM
Cobra Member

Im not sure but let me know how the FRPP Shocks/Struts work out for you, because Im really interested in getting them aswell.
Old 10/29/06, 11:06 PM
Bullitt Member

When you install shorter front springs you are going to have to somehow correct for the negative camber that results. The "slop" can be used to partially compensate, though you'll still probably need camber adjusting bolts. The amount of adjustment you get with the bolts isn't huge (a couple of degrees max I think, which is usually sufficient). However if you pull the tops of the struts outward before tightening them you can gain slightly more positive camber if the bolts alone aren't enough. Pulling the tops of the struts outward was all I needed with my Steeda springs.
Old 10/30/06, 09:10 AM
Cobra R Member

Usually when ever I replaced front struts, I always used a marker that would make an outline of where the nuts were etc. Then line it back up with your marks youve made, just use a marker that will come off. With your struts being off for your alignment you always want to try and return everything exactly the way it was, from insulators to the nuts etc. you always want to try to put it back in exact same location. Just my picky ways.
Old 10/31/06, 05:10 AM
GT Member

Answer

YIKES!!!

The front struts are supposed to be installed in one position only- there is a small half-moon cut-out in the metal ring at the top of the strut (just below the upper bearing, I believe). That cut-out must face outboard on both sides of the car. If you bolt the strut in any other way, you will see that the strut bolt is not centered in the engine bay hole- it will be off-center! This canges suspension geometry.

If you have already installed your struts, get a flashlight and look up into the strut towers. You should just be able to see (or feel with your finger) the small cut-out on the metal ridge on the strut, way at the top. Trace the top with you finger- you'll be able to find it.

Also- if you open you hood and look at the holes where the struts come through, you will see that one strut might not be centered in the hole- sure indication that you havce a bad install.

How do I know, you ask? Because I installed mine wrong the first time!

Good luck. Get it straightened out before you get an alignment!

Read Tacobill's Hotlink on Steeda Ultralite front spring install- it has everything in there you need for changing a front strut:

Go here: http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showpo...43&postcount=2
Old 10/31/06, 08:13 PM
Bullitt Member

It is correct that the struts have a correct orientation. However the original question was about the play between the four mounting studs and the holes into which they insert. It isn't a lot but there is some and you might as well use it to your advantage, ie. to subtract some of the negative camber that results from lowering.
Old 11/1/06, 03:22 PM
GT Member

Too much beer= must...read...question....before..answering... question....
Old 11/2/06, 11:32 AM
FR500 Member

Also there is an arrow on top of the strut that is used as indicator of which direction they need to be in. The arrow has to face outward.
Old 11/3/06, 01:56 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by 65sohc
It is correct that the struts have a correct orientation. However the original question was about the play between the four mounting studs and the holes into which they insert. It isn't a lot but there is some and you might as well use it to your advantage, ie. to subtract some of the negative camber that results from lowering.
That's what I was wondering - if anybody pulls the whole assembly toward the fender to help with the camber.