GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Quick Review: Predator Tuner **Canned** Tunes

Search this Thread

Old 2/6/06, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I purchased my Predator tuner from a local speed shop for $350. Been running it for two weeks. My only other mods are Flowmaster AT axle-backs, a K&N air filter in the stock airbox, and a Hurst short-throw shifter. Here's my thoughts, based on MY expectations when I bought it, which were moderate:

Ease of Use: A+ -- Just plug it in under the driver's side dash and follow the on-screen directions. No batteries for the tuner, it's powered by the car. Make sure you read the prep instructions to make sure you have all the basics ready, like ignition to on, engine off, doors closed, no accessories running. Re-installing the stock tune takes about two minutes.

SOTP Feel: A -- SOTP is very noticable, especially with the 93 octane performance tune. 87 tune feels better. 93 performance tune feels great, and is what I'm using. Throttle response is much improved. I can floor it in 1st now and light up the tires (have a 5-speed), instead of having that delayed, "ramping up" feel with the stock tune.

Customer Service: B- -- Called for a couple of basic questions about possible custom tunes, and the customer service rep had answers but sounded bored as heck and ready to get of the phone. No hold time, at least.

Gas Mileage: A -- Following my usual driving routes, and probably getting on it more because the fun factor is up, I'm averaging 21.3 MPG over the last two weeks. With the stock tune, I was getting 20.2. Too early to tell for certain if it's a true gain, but at least it doesn't seem that I've lost any efficiency. I already had the filter and mufflers on before I bought the Predator. The weather has been quite a bit cooler over the last week here in Tampa Bay.

Reliability: A -- So far, perfect. No apparent rough running at idle, cruising, WOT. No CEL or codes. No backfires, stalling, anything. I ran for 1/2 tank on the 87 performance tune, then switched to the 93 tune. The car took a little longer to turn over on initial startup after I installed each of the tunes, but after that first startup, it's like stock.

Bottom line, if you're looking for a noticable improvement in STOP feel and throttle response, the canned tunes won't disappoint. If you don't mind the extra expense at the pump, definitely go with the 93 tune. As far as how easy it is to get/install custom tunes, I can't speak to that.

From what I've **read**, if you want to get custom tunes or have an auto tranny, you'll probably want to check out the SCT Xcal 2.

Good luck!
Old 2/6/06, 12:42 PM
GT Member

Thanks for the write up. I'm still deciding on which to get, either sct or diablo. The shop in my town is a diablo dyno tuner with a great price on the unit. It looks like that is the route i'm taking.
Old 2/6/06, 02:35 PM

I went with the Predator because I don't plan to use custom tunes or do any more mods. Also, if I change my mind about that, almost all of the tuner shops in Tampa Bay use the Predator.

Both Diablosport and SCT have a dealer locater based on zip code, if you want to give that a shot.

http://www.diablosport.com/OurDealers.php

http://www.sctflash.com/index.php
Old 2/10/06, 12:34 PM
GT Member

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] Great write-up and good info. Why is the Xcal2 better for an automatic?
Old 2/27/06, 09:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Im actually very dissapointed with my Diablo. I tried using a custome tune sent to me from C&L for my air intake and it wont work! It ask me to make a backup and I do and it fails everytime to make a back up! It downloads a few KB's and then stops. And it wont let me install the custome tune with out the backup! So here I am with a cold air intake I cant use and I sat on hold for more then 30 minutes got no rep and finally hung up because I was wasting my cell phone minutes. I was so frustrated I took the CAI off my car and its still sitting in my closet.
Old 2/28/06, 11:04 AM

hmm, I came across this article doing a search, they seemed to have gotten the diablo + cnl to work.
http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2...5CPR/index.php
Old 2/28/06, 11:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

I think part of my problem is I have a 2006. On diablo's website they have downloads for the 2005 with C&L but they wont work with my 2006, ive tried. So i got a tune directly from C&L E-mailed to me, thats when the backup problem started.

Any one else heard of any problem tuning a 2006 to work with the C&L Intake?