GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Quick question regarding engine sound

Search this Thread

Old 9/20/06, 05:17 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick question regarding engine sound

Hey guys/gals, first post here!

My question is regarding the engine sound. I guess I've never paid attention before, but I just installed my JLT2 + SCT on my 07 GT 5-speed and noticed that it sounds like a diesel! I hear a distinct ticking coming from the top of the engine at idle, behind the throttle body around the black plastic. Is everyone elses' like that?

I don't remember if it was there before the tune, but it is definately there now. I loaded the 87 tune from Bamachips first and noticed very slight pinging (with 87 gas) at WOT. I waited until there was an eighth of a tank and filled up with 93 then put the 93 torque tune in and that thing pinged like absolute crazy, plus it felt pretty sluggish. I then put in the 93 performance tune and same thing, but not quite as bad as the torque tune.

I called Doug and am waiting on him to get back with me. I'm not in a hurry or anything and I know he's busy, I was just curious.

Should I have waited until I ran it out of 87 completely?
Old 9/20/06, 05:21 PM
Bullitt Member

The ticking you hear is most likely the injectors.Do a search (TMS)you'll find some info on it.

Hope this helps.

Welcome to TMS.

-John
Old 9/20/06, 05:30 PM
GT Member

Good deal, I appreciate it.
Old 9/21/06, 11:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

yeah, its the injectors..... does it sound sorta like a fast sewing machine?
Old 9/21/06, 09:47 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by emperorjordan
yeah, its the injectors..... does it sound sorta like a fast sewing machine?
Not so fast. My '05 had it too. I got rid of it before I had the chance to take it in. I taked to Kc about it and his GT/CS has had it since day one. He told me it's a lifter issue, but the '05s seem to have it the worst. The dealership where he works is replacing both sets of lifters on both banks.
If I were you...I'd take it to Ford and let them look at it while it's under warranty.
Old 9/22/06, 06:21 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am sure this may not apply to you, but make sure you keep the oil changed-when the oil ages it tends to get thin and can make these engines sound "dieselly". Otherwise there may be an issue with the cam phaser for the variable cam timing or possibly the lash adjusters (lifters in oldspeak).
Old 9/22/06, 07:51 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
1st thing you should do (if you already haven't done so) is to check the oil level.

Chances are, the clicking you're hearing are the injectors like others have mentioned. I bet that after you installed the CAI and tune, your ears have become super sensitive to any sounds from the car, from the engine to the exhaust note. Because of that, you're starting to notice sounds that you really haven't paid attention to before.

On your tune switching (from 87 to 93), I would've ran it down even further, until the low fuel warning at least came on. This is what I did when I switched from 87 to 91. Also, give it a bit for the older octane gas to run through the engine and mix with your 93 before mashing down the pedal.
Just to rule out another possibility (may or may not apply to you), don't use the cheap gas, stick with quality premium fuel.