GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Quick Question RE: Underdrive Pulley Install

Search this Thread

Old 3/13/07, 12:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by DavidM
Man I'm gald to read that you got that thing off there. I was worried that with all the prying and the huge breaker bars and so forth that you could have actually broken the bolt off whidh would have been a very bad thing.
Thanks for the concern!

I read on another Mustang forum of a few people who had sheared off their bolt and had to spend 2-5 hours with an easy-out and a reverse drill bit trying to get the bolt stub out.

NOT a way I want to spend my Saturday, especially since my 'Stang is a DD.

A recommendation they made that I took to the bank was to NOT re-use the original bolt but to go get a new one from Ford, even though the Steeda instructions say you CAN re-use the original bolt.

I decided to err on the side of caution and replaced my original bolt. The UDPs are great, and they work flawlessly! No oil leaks or misalignment has appeared, and I have banged off the rev limiter a few times!
Old 3/14/07, 08:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrkabc
Hahahahaha! Where was that impact gun a month ago!!!

I got tired of walking by my UDPs on the workbench on my way into the house... they were staring at me and constantly reminding me that I could not get that bolt off... How embarrassing...

NJ3: Congrats on YOUR install! How did you do it without removing the fan? Amazing!

06SatinSilver: I did put RED Loctite on the new bolt... I was worried about a situation like yours!

Now... here is the million dollar question:

DID YOU FEEL A DIFFERENCE?

I don't know if I did! I really WANT to feel like the car moves faster and has more pickup, but I couldn't really feel a "Wow, that difference in acceleration was worth $300 and a backache" difference!
The WOW!!! didn't come for me till I got a set of 4:10's
After a C&L racer and steeda spacer, and a bunch more nickle and dime stuff.....

I've decided my next mod is laughing gas.
Old 3/15/07, 08:41 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by NJ3
Congrats on the install. I installed my Steeda UDP's Saturday but I didn't remove the cooling fans and shroud. I also used penetrating oil and a breaker bar with the trans in 4th and the balancer bolt came right off. And a drawing of the belt route would've been a BIG help.
Yea, I did mine a year ago and I took a digital pic of the belt routing and it really helped. You would not think you would need to since you are putting it back on so soon.

BTW, change out the bolt to the alternator while you got the top pulley off,. makes it easier.
Old 3/15/07, 10:53 AM
NJ3
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by traffic142
Yea, I did mine a year ago and I took a digital pic of the belt routing and it really helped. You would not think you would need to since you are putting it back on so soon.

BTW, change out the bolt to the alternator while you got the top pulley off,. makes it easier.
That's a good point. I didn't remember that bolt until I gave the water pump pulley a spin and heard a scraping noise.
Old 3/15/07, 07:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Use a torch to heat it up and end up with a damaged front crank seal and an oil leak. I would NOT used heat on this part of the car.
Old 3/16/07, 01:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by 281GT
Use a torch to heat it up and end up with a damaged front crank seal and an oil leak. I would NOT used heat on this part of the car.
Agreed... that is why I used a mighty big impact gun!

Steeda provided a bolt for the alternator bracket, that wasn't hard to replace. Others here said they used a Dremel to saw off the existing stud? Why do that instead of using the supplied bolt?