GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Questions about Dougs tunes (am I running lean?)

Search this Thread

Old 10/23/06, 11:36 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another +1 for Bamachips tunes

I bought the SCT tuner from Doug last week and got it Thursday.

Knowing the tuner was coming, the last two tanks of fuel I've ran (pre-tune) were 89 octane. I ordered 87, 89, and 93 performance tunes and loaded the tune Friday.

Long story short, the car ran ok but not great. Had a few questions about the tune and Doug e-mailed me the 89 torque and 89 performance tunes. I've only had a few minutes to play around but loaded the 89 torque and the car is night and day better than it was pre SCT. 15 mile trip back to work was pretty fun

The shifts are firm but not harsh and the engine seems to stay in the powerband instead of hunting to find the right gear to be in. One thing I requested was to have o/d shut off to 50mph and that made a huge difference in all around drivability of the car.

Thanks Doug!
Old 10/23/06, 05:13 PM
Bullitt Member

[quote=bwilder10h;765829]I bought the SCT tuner from Doug last week and got it Thursday.

Doug does have very fast service.
Old 10/23/06, 05:32 PM
eci
Banned

Originally Posted by GT John
For the best results why dont you copy and paste the above in an email and send it to him.

You didnt mention what your running.....a stick or an automatic.

Doug will get you going.
It's pretty clear from his post it's an auto
Old 10/23/06, 10:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by bwilder10h
I bought the SCT tuner from Doug last week and got it Thursday.

Knowing the tuner was coming, the last two tanks of fuel I've ran (pre-tune) were 89 octane. I ordered 87, 89, and 93 performance tunes and loaded the tune Friday.

After the tune was loaded, I took the car out Friday and part of the day Saturday. The shifts are firmer that's for sure, but the car runs like it's cold all the time keeping revs up when you slow down and then the idle falls back to normal when you come to a stop. I like the idea of firm shifts when you mash it but I don't especially care for the car running out to 2500 rpms in ever gear before it shifts when you are poking around town. I was going through my neighborhood (25mph zone) and my wife commented as to "why is it reving up so high going this slow between shifts?". I was under the impression the car was like a stock car until you nailed it with this tune?

One thing I found strange is I can now hear a ticking sound when the car is idling in drive. It doesn't happen all the time, but it makes me wonder if the car is running lean. I also took the car on a 40 mile highway run Saturday evening and when I came to a stop on the exit ramp and started out again, it almost stalled but then came back alive right away. It hasn't done that since, but.........

All I have is the stinger axleback and didn't order the intake with the tuner, so I'm running the stock airbox. It's been in the 40's and 50's here the past week or so and I dunno if this is a factor, but I wondered if the difference between where Doug tunes his cars (Alabama) and here would be an issue in Ohio.

When you nail it, the car runs good, but I wouldn't say I'm blown away like most of the reports I've read on Doug's tunes. The biggest thing I wanted with a tuner was to get rid of the throttle lag and improve performance all around. I'm not sure I have that.

One thing that really bugs me is if you give it a fair amount of gas from a deal stop, it shifts into 2nd firm and runs the revs up, same in 3rd to 4th, but then as soon as it hits 4th gear.... it almost immediately falls into 5th and then the engine is lugging along. Doesn't seem right to me....

Anytime I've called Doug's shop, I get the machine so I figured I'd post here and see what people who have his tunes think.
You need to send me an email or leave a message as I haven't heard anything about it from you? It sounds like something is off in your tune, like it may have been setup for a CAI for some reason? Did you mention one in your order form? Either way call me, email me, or something so we can get this fixed for you. I stand behind my product fully and always and if you aren't pleased then the way to get results in to get in touch with me. I barely get a chance to navagate the forums because I'm at my email.

Thanks, Doug.