GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Question From A Newcomer To Tuning - Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 1/11/05, 04:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Okay, I'm mainly used to working on older cars. My 2005 Mustang GT is the first car that will need computer "reflashing" or "tuning" for nearly every mod. I just read a thread on reflashing the computer for a bolt-on intake mod!! Wow! Certainly stopped me from ordering it, because I have zero idea how to do that.
A couple questions, if I may.

The SCT Caliberator is something everyone seems to be talking about. I am asuming this is the device one uses to tune the car. Is this a good device to buy for tuning?

Is tuning with the SCT pretty straightforward? Do the instructions tell you the basics and what to do so you don't blow you engine up? Last thing I want to do is spend $359 to blow my motor!

How complicated is it to tune your engine? Any links to help me out on learning with my '05 GT? Or would I be better off buying the SCT and letting a shop do it? If so, how much does that usually run ya?

I've read about people wanting to "flash" their computer so the car will make use of premium fuel. Now, will flashing your computer alone give your car an HP boost from the premium fuel, or do you still have to change out the pistons for higher compression?

I've heard of superchips.com. They said they'll be coming out with a chip for '05 soon. Are they a reputable company? Does installing their chip require extensive knowledge in programming the Mustang's computer, or is it pretty easy?

Thanks for anyone who can answer my questions! :worship:
I apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge, lol.
Old 1/11/05, 04:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

OBleedingMe,
I'll take a shot at answering a couple of your questions. In the older, carburated cars you a familiar with, we use to "tune" them by rotating the distributor to advance the timing and changing jets to change the a/f mixture ratio. In the new cars, the computer controls these parameters. Flashing the computer is just changing the computer look-up tables where these (and other) parameters are stored. Just like in the old cars, you can get a few more horses with just a good "tune-up" without the need to change anything internal to the engine.

Hope that helps a little.

The Boss Hog
Old 1/11/05, 07:37 AM
Cobra Member

SCT's programmer plugs into the diagnostic port under the dash of the car. I've never used one, but it probably has a screen and prompts for you to answer some questions. I believe it stores the stock tune and updates certain paramaters with one of the stored programs.

I don't think you'd have any problems using this device on a stock car using one of the standard tunes, even with the premimum fuel calibration. The SCT tune is probably the biggest bang for the buck mod out there without any negative side effects.

www.sctflash.com would be a great place to get more info.
Old 1/11/05, 08:01 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the SCT Xcalibrator. Like yourself, I am use to working on older cars and this is the first time I have ever dealt with having to use a programmer when doing simple mods such as intake kit and exhaust. Basically, you tell the vendor where you are buying your SCT xcalibrator from what mods you have done to your car and what future mods you plan on doing. They will program the flasher for you. When I received it I got instructions on how to use it and what numbers were pre-programmed. All I did was connect it, choose the program I wanted to load and a few minutes later it was done.

It was very simple. Sure you can get more extreme by going to a "tuner" that has the full software so they can tweak the car even more.

Once SCT releases their Quicktune 2005 software you will be able to customize it yourself if you have access to a computer.
Old 1/11/05, 08:01 AM
Team Mustang Source

Here's the link to answer all your issues for the most part:

http://www.sctflash.com/main.php

It's simple to use but IF you have a qualified SCT programmer in your area that would be the best idea for the first tune on the car...Need to get him or her together at a location with a dyno to fine tune the car....The initial programming is normally free of charge from the tuner.,...you'll just need to cover the dyno time cost....mine made a decent power jump and raising the shift points did even more...also was able to change the speedo after the new rear end with the tuner....here's a shot of mine being tuned in December...best of luck and enjoy it!!!

John
Old 1/11/05, 08:06 AM
Cobra Member

I've got some questions about it also. Do they have basic tunes so you can keep running on 87 octain or do you have to bump up? Do you have to go to the dyno to check any of the tunes that come with the tuner or do you just plug and play-with no mods? Do you have to pay for updated tunes that come out if you buy one? Could you just go to a speed shop and have them tune it without buying a tuner? I'm used to older cars also, put the stuff on play with it until its screamin'.... The computer seems to intrusive. Seems for every add on we want to get it will cost us another $100-$150 to get it tuned on the dyno....
Old 1/11/05, 08:15 AM
Team Mustang Source

Okay, it's 5 bucks a question here....LOL.....Yes, they have an 87 octane tune. You can plug and play all you'd like but the tune helps keep the computer from compensating for your mods and taking the power back down on it's own. The updated tune software is either supposed to be free or at very little cost after you buy the unit. Obviously the only way to be darn sure what you're getting is to re-dyno the car....I would suggest modding it out as much as possible and then having it tuned so that you don't have to go over and over. I put the gears, pulleys, intake, and exhaust on withiin a one month span, and then took it for it's first tune....cheaper that way as you can just tell the tech what it has on it and he'll set it up from there by making a few dyno passes and tweaking it in between....It's possible you could find a shop to tune it w/o having to buy the unit itself, but I'd suggest spending the 369 and have the ability to do it on your own. The software will be updated often and it would make it much easier to tune yourself at no cost in the future....best of luck and hope this helps!

John
Old 1/11/05, 08:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

I cannpt wait to get mine. The dealer is able to send, via email, a new software tune any time I make an equipment change to my car (I bought the PC cable and software with the SCT).
Old 1/11/05, 08:21 AM
Team Mustang Source

Is your tail light video jumpy Dan, or is it just me? I gotta get that mod done....looks sweet bro!

John
Old 1/11/05, 09:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for all the informative answers, guys! Just one more q: the supercips.com website. What is your opinion on these guys? Are their chips only worth it if you have no mods or visa versa? Would using a superchip screw up what you have if you are tuning with an SCT?
Old 1/11/05, 09:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

Okay, I just checked out the sctflash website, and I realized SCT stands for SuperChips. Disregard that last question I asked.
But now I'm a little confused as to what I'm supposed to buy..... do I get the Pro Racer Package so I can tune on my computer? If so, which version do I get? The "Chip Version" or the "Flash Version"? The Dealer Tuner thing seems a little more complicated. Do you need to have the SCT XCalibrator connected to your car AND your PC to look at the data, or do you just have to have the SCT XCalibrator hooked up to your PC for it to work? I'm asking this because my computer is on the 3rd floor of my house, and if the software is basically useless when the SCT XCalibrator is not connected to the car, then I have no reason to buy it, lol.
Old 1/11/05, 09:41 AM
Team Mustang Source

Like you, I am from the good old carb days. Thanks to this forum and the members who are great at sharing their experience, I am no expert but sure have learned alot. Live in the country but even around here, there are two places you can go regarding SCT tunes. From my limited background, it appears you need to know what you want to do performance mod wise - then get it
Old 1/11/05, 09:47 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Originally posted by OBleedingMe@January 11, 2005, 10:42 AM
Okay, I just checked out the sctflash website, and I realized SCT stands for SuperChips. Disregard that last question I asked.
But now I'm a little confused as to what I'm supposed to buy..... do I get the Pro Racer Package so I can tune on my computer? If so, which version do I get? The "Chip Version" or the "Flash Version"? The Dealer Tuner thing seems a little more complicated. Do you need to have the SCT XCalibrator connected to your car AND your PC to look at the data, or do you just have to have the SCT XCalibrator hooked up to your PC for it to work? I'm asking this because my computer is on the 3rd floor of my house, and if the software is basically useless when the SCT XCalibrator is not connected to the car, then I have no reason to buy it, lol.
You need to get the SCT Xcalibrator. Some companies are including the pc cable for free.

Until the software is available all you can do is have the tuner send you files via email. You then connect the SCT to your pc and update it with the file that was sent to you using the extreme software from the SCT website. You then take the SCT unit back to the car, plug it in and upload the changes. Once the changes are done you unplug it. That is all there is to it. Very simple.
Old 1/11/05, 10:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Okay, thank you! I was on the phone with an SCT dealer in my area and he set me straight on most things. Thanks for all your help, guys!
Old 1/11/05, 10:29 AM
Team Mustang Source

anytime amigo....
Old 1/11/05, 10:34 AM
Retired Tms Staff

glad I could help....if I helped at all