GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Question for GEORGIA mustang owners?

Search this Thread

Old 1/21/07, 11:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question for GEORGIA mustang owners?

Does anyone know the situation regarding removing the cats from your exhaust in Georgia. I know that it's supposed to be illegal everywhere but if there's no checks done then they're coming off! I live in Alabama right now but I'm planning on moving to Georgia for grad school in the summer. I know its not a problem to take them off here in Alabama, but I just wanted to check about Georgia before I take them off. Thanks.
Old 1/22/07, 04:40 AM
Bullitt Member

depends on what county you are going to live in. If they have emissions, they they will look for the cats.
Old 1/22/07, 08:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Basically its only the metro Atlanta and surrounding counties. The newest 3 model years are exempt.

http://www.cleanairforce.com/
Old 1/22/07, 01:47 PM
GT Member

But if you keep your Bama plates I would think you would be fine, just state you are visiting if pulled over.
Old 1/22/07, 02:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 65 A code
But if you keep your Bama plates I would think you would be fine, just state you are visiting if pulled over.
The fines for failing to register within 30 days can be stiff and include impounding. So it may not be worth the hassle if you were to be ticketed or involved in an accident. You won't need an emission test until your vehicle is 3 years old anyway.

It seems the test is very simple and involves only an OBD history check and a fuel cap check. If you had MIL eliminators and no cat, i wonder if the tester would even know or care. Then again, I don't know if I would chance it. If the tester became wise to the fact that your cats were missing, he is obligated to fail your vehicle or he could face severe fines and lose his license to test. O/R pipes are not that difficult to add and remove each year when its time for a test, which is probably what most people do.

Originally Posted by http://www.cleanairforce.com/emission.htm

All 1996 and newer vehicles will receive a two-part inspection.
  • An OBD test to check your vehicle’s emission control performance history.
  • A fuel cap inspection to check for adequate seal.
If an OBD test is unable to be performed on a vehicle, it may be necessary to perform a Two-Speed Idle test (TSI).
All 1995 and older model year vehicles will receive a four-part inspection:
  • A visual inspection of the catalytic converter to check for tampering or removal.
  • ASM2 or Accelerated Simulation Mode Test - A dual-mode test including a 25/25 test = 25 pounds of load at 25 MPH and a 50/15 test = 50 pounds of load at 15 MPH.
  • A tailpipe exhaust emission test.
  • A fuel cap inspection to check for adequate seal.
An inspector can reject a vehicle for testing if it is considered unsafe to test. If the test has already begun when the safety problem is detected, the inspector may charge the full price of the test.
Old 1/23/07, 04:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

It's pretty much only Atlanta metro.

However, there are sound laws, so you can still get a ticket for having a loud exhaust. (I think it's 85 decibels or more)