GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Question on Fuel and Oil Pressure sender unit install

Search this Thread

Old 3/17/08, 09:57 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question on Fuel and Oil Pressure sender unit install

Hi, All. I have installed my Auto Meter Nexus Boost/Vac, Fuel Press and Oil Pressures gauges in the 07 Stang using the SOS Dash Pods. The Boost/Vac is hooked up and I have the Fuel rail adapter for the Fuel pressure sender unit. My question on the fuel sender is what the best way to install the adapter? How do I release the pressure in the fuel rails to install the adapter? I have thought about pulling the fuse for the fuel pump and then starting the car for a few seconds to drop the fuel rail pressure. Is there a better way? And if this is the way what fuse do I need to pull and where is it located?

Now for the Oil pressure sender unit I need to get a brass T to install in place of the stock oil pressure switch "sensor" and also install the auto meter oil pressure sender unit. What size brass T do I need (1/4" NPT I think) and would a local part place have them or am I going to have to mail order it.

Also any other info/tips on these to parts of the install you might find helpful to pass along would be appreciated. Thanks...

Last edited by 07Foose; 3/17/08 at 10:02 PM.
Old 3/17/08, 10:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

i am about to tackle this fuel pressure gauge mod this coming weekend. as far as relieving the pressure, you are right about pulling the fuse. actually, it is the fuel pressure relay. it is in the fuse box in the engine bay. it is the square one that is along the back of the box in the middle. right in front of where that wire bolts on to the fuse box.. hard to explain, but if you look in the fuse box, i think you will see what i mean. let me know if you can't understand what i am talking about and i can scan the pic for you. after you pull the relay, you are supposed to let it run (it might not even start) until it dies. after that, crank it for about 5 seconds. turn it off, then remove the negative terminal on the battery.

don't know anything about the oil pressure stuff. not doing that one.

hey, for the boost/vac gauge install. how did you mount your map sensor? i was thinking of just running down to home depot and picking up an "L" bracket and drilling some holes in that.
Old 3/18/08, 05:45 AM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The oil sender isn't really in a tee friendly location. I used an autometer 2' long braided hose and mounted it to the wheel fender. I cut the wire for the factory sender and spliced an extention to reach
Old 3/18/08, 06:30 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
On the fuel pressure, just let the car sit over night. In the morning, remove the gas tank cap and you'll be good to go. There will be very little fuel, atleast in my car.
Old 3/18/08, 08:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

I put in the same gauges, followed the same steps as Tom(fuel) and Dustin(Oil). I didn't cut and splice the factory sender I unhooked it from it's mounting points and got enough slack to move it. Then tied the wires to other locations. But, both ways work fine. I used liquid Teflon tape, recommended by Earl's Indy on the NPT threads and made sure I only got it on the threads.
Old 3/18/08, 11:20 AM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
when fuel is involved, always use AN fittings, or else have a fun engine fire
Old 3/18/08, 01:57 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by dustindu4
The oil sender isn't really in a tee friendly location. I used an autometer 2' long braided hose and mounted it to the wheel fender. I cut the wire for the factory sender and spliced an extention to reach
Here is what I found on the Turbonetics site in their install docs about the Oil pressure sensor.

Locate the oil pressure sensor on the oil filter housing. The oil filter housing is located near the bottom of the engine block on the driver side. Unplug the wiring harness from the sensor. Using a 13/16” deep socket remove the oil pressure sensor. SEE FIGURE 89-91

FIGURE 89

FIGURE 90

FIGURE 91

Make a fitting assembly out of a 1/4" NPT t-fitting (P/N 30975), 1/4" NPT to 1/8” NPT adaptor fitting (P/N 30976) & a 90° -4AN x 1/8” NPT fitting (P/N 30554). Coat the threads of the 1/4” to 1/8” adaptor fitting with Teflon tape or other thread sealant. Insert it into the 1/4” NPT t-fitting in the hole opposite the male threaded portion. Coat the 1/8” NPT threads of the 90° fitting with Teflon tape or other thread sealant. Insert it into the end of the 1/4” NPT adaptor fitting just installed in the t-fitting. SEE FIGURE 92

FIGURE 92

1/4” NPT T-Fitting
1/4” to 1/8” NPT Fitting
90° -3AN x 1/8” NPT Fitting
Coat the threads of the 1/4” NPT t-fitting with Teflon tape or other thread sealant. Install the fitting assembly into the oil pressure port on the oil filter housing. This is the location from which the oil pressure sensor was removed. SEE FIGURE 93

FIGURE 93

Coat the threads of the oil pressure sensor with Teflon tape or other thread sealant. Install the oil pressure sensor into the open location on the 1/4” NPT t-fitting now located in the oil filter housing. SEE FIGURE 94 & 95

FIGURE 94

FIGURE 95

Install the -4AN x 36” long oil feed line (P/N 10724) onto the 90° end of the fitting assembly installed into the oil filter housing. Route the free end of the line up to the top of the engine bay behind the power steering pump. SEE FIGURE 96

FIGURE 96

What do you think about this setup?
Old 3/18/08, 05:51 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by sound wave
hey, for the boost/vac gauge install. how did you mount your map sensor? i was thinking of just running down to home depot and picking up an "L" bracket and drilling some holes in that.
Currently I just have it cabled tied to a wiring harness with the sensor tube pointing down until I can get back over to my parents place and make up a L bracket and mount it on the fire wall. The sensor need to point down to avoid condensesion getting in to the sensor per the Auto Meter doc's...