GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

A question for Cali drivers, regarding 49 state legal mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 8/31/06, 01:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A question for Cali drivers, regarding 49 state legal mufflers

A question for CA drivers...How does CA enforce the noise-level law for street exhaust systems? Is the noise level checked during an emissions check? Or is it enforced only if an officer feels inclined or recieves a complaint?
Old 8/31/06, 01:41 PM
GT Member

Excellent question- there's got to be at least one Cal cop in here!
Old 8/31/06, 01:44 PM
eci
Banned

Originally Posted by neil07gt
A question for CA drivers...How does CA enforce the noise-level law for street exhaust systems? Is the noise level checked during an emissions check? Or is it enforced only if an officer feels inclined or recieves a complaint?
Smog Check doesn't involve exhaust sound, only required exhaust equipment such as cats.

An office, if he doesn't like your car, can cite you for it.
Old 8/31/06, 02:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by eci
Smog Check doesn't involve exhaust sound, only required exhaust equipment such as cats.

An office, if he doesn't like your car, can cite you for it.
so all it takes is an officer having a bad day. or an officer citing you for speeding and also deciding to tack on a noise violation :-(
Old 8/31/06, 02:12 PM
I'm people, and I like.

so all it takes is an officer having a bad day. or an officer citing you for speeding and also deciding to tack on a noise violation :-(

And an annoyed neighbor
Old 8/31/06, 03:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's one of the reasons I put quieter mufflers on... even though I like it loud, not everyone does. My new motto is "Be Discreet on the Street".
Old 8/31/06, 06:01 PM

yeah don w what setup do you have, i know you have the cutouts i believe it was you at least as i read somewhere back. i have the pypes o/r h pipe and corsa axlebacks and lets just say i get noticed. but i live in so. orange county so noise deff does scare me as cops drive by. and dear lord there are alot here.
Old 8/31/06, 06:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

I've never been bothered for noise when I had my import with a turbo and a large exhaust (not the annoyingly loud kind either)... and I dont know of any domestics that got pulled over for noise... (and i'm going to stereo type here for a sec) but then again I'm white and don't hang out at the local "hotspots" for raceing..

You will be fine with pretty much any exhaust as long as you dont **** off your neighbors or fly by a cop at warp 10.

I've known friends with domestics that have the cops see them in parking lots and come over to talk to htem and check out the car.. but i've never heard of a domestic being pulled over for exhaust...

seriously...

I'm going to probably go with SLP headers, xpipe and tail section and i'm not worried about cops pulling me over... (is the slp headers even california legal?)
Old 8/31/06, 06:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

oops sorry... to answer your question.

A friend of mine is a supervisor for Northridge division and they typically only pull over import racers or people that look like they are into trouble.

if they pull you over for something they might say something to you but to my knowledge they dont do decible checks unless your referred to a smog station (state run)... for such a violation of noise.

dont sweat it.
Old 8/31/06, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by sanctus
yeah don w what setup do you have,
Click the link in my sig... (give it a minute to load, it's slow sometimes)
Old 8/31/06, 06:30 PM
Team Mustang Source

So this is a dumb question... I live in/Close to the N. OC area and want to get the FRPP stingers and probably upgrade to the FRPP X-Pipe. Is this set-up gonna be loud enough that I should worry ? I haven't heard them in-person so I have no way to gauge the video clips in the exhaust thread and that they are not CA "legal"

Or should I just look at another mid-pipe/Axle-back setup ?

Thanks,
Brian
Old 8/31/06, 09:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

I would tend to think you'd be ok with pretty much any exhaust system, but if your driving around at night in the OC and you line up next to an import at a light who has a loud exhaust and starts to rev on you... when the light drops to green, I'd just turn your car off and let him go at it by himself... and get a ticket possibly..

Orange county has been getting bad in the last 2-3 years with kids racing hondas all over and causing problems...

i'd think you'd be ok.
Old 9/7/06, 05:15 PM
Cobra Member

Yep that is essentially all it takes. However if you drive with your head on straight and are not driving with it up your **** all the time, you shouldnt have any issues. I have driven past many CHP and local cops with my mufflers and they have been fine with them. All you are really required to have is mufflers. What are you looking at for mufflers?

Richard
Old 9/7/06, 05:19 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by habu
So this is a dumb question... I live in/Close to the N. OC area and want to get the FRPP stingers and probably upgrade to the FRPP X-Pipe. Is this set-up gonna be loud enough that I should worry ? I haven't heard them in-person so I have no way to gauge the video clips in the exhaust thread and that they are not CA "legal"

Or should I just look at another mid-pipe/Axle-back setup ?

Thanks,
Brian
Get the Stingers I personally do not think they are loud enough to even justify a pull over or citation but that is me. I think they sounds great not loud. They do get loud at a certain RPM 2k area but that dissipates soon after the 2k mark. They do drone at the 2k mark but it is nothing to bad.
I have had many people tell me that they have not heard a car that sounds as good as mine does. Also some have said now that is how a muscle car should sound. Get them you will not regret it. Installing a X-Pipe may make them louder and I keep going back and forth wth that decision myself. I am seriously th9inking of getting the Bassani Short X-Pipe

Richard
Old 9/7/06, 06:09 PM
GT Member

CHP does have db monitoring equipment set up on freeways occasionaly. I got busted in my old 5.0 163 freeway leaving Mission Valley in San Diego. They had a little stand by the side of the road. I was going uphill 75mph. They had a car about 1/2 mile up the road that pulled me over. $120 dollar fine. Never had any problems in Norcal though.
Old 9/7/06, 06:26 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
When I had my Borla stingers I was at a stop light with a CHP on my left and one right behind me. I was very nervous and really tried to ease off when the light changed and neither one of them even glanced my way.
Old 9/7/06, 08:32 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by GRAYPNY
When I had my Borla stingers I was at a stop light with a CHP on my left and one right behind me. I was very nervous and really tried to ease off when the light changed and neither one of them even glanced my way.
I had the same thing happen only with 1 CHP and 1 City cop then just yesterday it was 2 city cops.

Richard
Old 9/8/06, 10:50 AM
Team Mustang Source

Thanks for the insight. What I'm looking at is the FRPP stingers and X-Pipe. Loud is OK in my book just as long as it doesn't get me pulled over all the time. I like the stock sound for what it is, stock. I want deeper louder, meaner. It looks like this may be the ticket. Drone... I'm not too worried about drone, not yet at least.